LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

aftermarket radio in ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 03:28 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

OK - I ran into something I did not expect while attempting to install my new head unit. After I took out the OEM radio on my car (2001 LS430 non-Nav, non-ML) I saw a plastic brace that extends across the top of the opening where the radio goes. It is not a problem for the OEM radio because it is L-shaped and the very top of the radio does not extend very far back (1-1/2"). However, my new head unit is box-shaped and extends 6-1/2" back so the plastic brace interferes with it. I looked to see if the plastic brace can be removed but it looks like it is a part of the mold that makes up the radio opening.

Before I decide to cut out the brace I thought I would check here to see if there is a way around this that I am not seeing. Does this sound familiar? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-16-16, 03:57 AM
Ahmed007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls 430 2002 audio system

Hi guys
I have a question I am living in United Arab Emirates
Can anyone guide me where can I but the Lcd frame I have navigation in my car but I need to remove my tape a d put one Lcd I tried alot couldn't find the frame can anyone help me out will appreciate
Thanks
Old 02-16-16, 04:19 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmed007
Hi guys
Can anyone guide me where can I but the Lcd frame I have navigation in my car but I need to remove my tape a d put one Lcd I tried alot couldn't find the frame can anyone help me out will appreciate
Thanks
Do you have the ML withe navigation or the standard sound system.
Ther are different approaches to each.
Old 02-16-16, 07:52 AM
Ahmed007
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes I have navigation

Originally Posted by Fixman
Do you have the ML withe navigation or the standard sound system.
Ther are different approaches to each.
Yes dear I have navigation system also
Old 02-16-16, 03:57 PM
shadowhell
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's my car i had installed aftermarket nav on my ls430 and i return to old radio system
Old 02-16-16, 03:59 PM
shadowhell
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahmed007
Hi guys
Thanks
You can find it in old souq in dubai naif souq i bought mine from there
Old 02-25-16, 08:13 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Motohide, and everyone else, thank you for your detailed input. I will be purchasing the Beatsonic SLA-24A, and probably a Kenwood in dash nav (they use Garmin GPS and I prefer that).

Just purchased a mercury silver 2005 LS430 in Florida from a really excellent seller/classic car dealer, it's a beauty. No nav, no mark levinson, so should be fine for the Beatsonic kit. I'm picking it up in a couple weeks when I go to Florida for some pertnal bidness.

From surfing around & researching reviews on both the Beatsonic SLA-24A and the Metra TYTO-01, and what i have gleaned here, it seems that:

1. The Beatsonic SLA-24A kit includes everything you need for the install including the long antenna adapter that you have to run to the trunk (bc the oem tuner is in the trunk lol) , and works correctly for 04-06 LS430 without nav (and possibly with nav if you do some more mods? not sure on that)
2. The TYTO-01 does not retain volume controls on the steering wheel ?
3. The Beatsonic kit DOES retain volume controls on steering wheel but apparently just the volume up/down and not anything else (like mode? set? I only have a GS400 and LS400 now so I am not yet familiar with the wheel controls on an 05 LS430)
4. The TYTO-01 might not work at all on the 04-06 LS430? some reviews state this complaint
5. IF the TYTO does work on the 04-06 LS430 you would just need the 2 extra antenna parts as listed here by another excellent poster and also on Metra's video here:

I have used the metra boxes before, used a metra box in an 05 Yukon that I had, to retain the steering wheel volume and also the chimes in the vehicle (which go through the speakers in the vehicle) and that one cost me over $200 if I remember right. It worked "ok"

welp I have used lots of metra parts and schosche parts and what have you, mostly happy with their parts, it just looks like Beatsonic is the safe way to go here, a bit expensive for a kit, but ehh it's worse to have an install that isn't "quite right" or does not work at all. I have been upside down and neck deep in installs before only to find out that the connectors I bought didn't fit because of some obscure face number difference or it was a california model car or whatever. That is kind of rare but ****** happens.

I'm really really really really really looking forward to my first LS430 ..... I have spent countless hours researching the LS430 for several years now (really) but my personal experience is limited only to the GS400, LS400, RX330. But I know i am going to dig it something fierce. The one I found is a real beauty. Over 100k but it was pampered and garaged, timing service already done and correct service records.

Next I would like to buy my wife a GX470. She has a Tahoe now and I think she would lurve it. I;m normally a Chevrolet sort of person any my best friend is a master mechanic at a GM dealership but he has no problem helping me work on more difficult problems on the Japanese family of vehicles lol (gotta keep my brownie points up though).

Thanks everyone for your information in this thread.
Old 03-25-16, 06:52 PM
Oldsports
Driver

I finally completed the installation of my aftermarket head unit in my 2001 LS430 non-Nav. I learned quite a lot during this project so I am attaching a PDF file that contains my learnings. I retained my OEM amp and speakers and I used the TYTO-01 to interface my new head unit.

Thanks to a number of folks on this forum for their answers to my questions! I hope this helps someone.

Installation Post.pdf
The following users liked this post:
daxia (02-27-17)
Old 03-28-16, 08:54 AM
Scoopy
Rookie

Awesome writeup Oldsports. I am glad you detailed the issue you encountered a hitch with the TYTO adapter, that is something I will be on the lookout for when I get one. It is always good to learn about any little issues with parts and adapters before they are deep into the dash.

Really nice, very detailed, great pics, and in a PDF too where I can save it. Thanks!
Old 04-02-16, 02:08 PM
mfalcon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsports
I finally completed the installation of my aftermarket head unit in my 2001 LS430 non-Nav. I learned quite a lot during this project so I am attaching a PDF file that contains my learnings. I retained my OEM amp and speakers and I used the TYTO-01 to interface my new head unit.

Thanks to a number of folks on this forum for their answers to my questions! I hope this helps someone.

Attachment 382487
Great write up Oldsports and thanks for the step by step, I'm looking to replace my head unit too and the dimension angle was really useful input! Will post my own experience once I'm done.

Any recommendations for a head unit that also integrates a reverse camera?
The following users liked this post:
daxia (02-27-17)
Old 04-04-16, 04:16 AM
Oldsports
Driver

mfalcon,

Given the size issues I had with the unit I installed, I would not recommend it. It does have a connection for a back-up camera which I did install (I uploaded my learnings on a separate post).

It is the only unit I have any experience with so I don't have another recommendation. Maybe some of the other folks on the forum have recommendations.
Old 04-04-16, 04:02 PM
PolishDude
Driver

guessing if you add an aftermarket radio into a 04 UL id lose steering wheel controls and controls from the back armrest?
Old 04-05-16, 06:31 AM
Oldsports
Driver

PolishDude,

As far as I know, Metra does not have a product that allows a 2004 LS430 to retain its steering wheel controls. I ran across a PAC product that claims to maintain steering wheel controls for 2004-2006 LS430's; here is a link to the product page:

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

The description indicates that it will not work with on vehicles with factory navigation and it does not retain "Rear Seat Entertainment". I have neither of those features, but since I have a 2001 I could not use it. You might ask the forum if anyone has used it to see how well it works.
Old 04-07-16, 12:53 PM
PolishDude
Driver

Thank you sir, thats disappointing, looks like the stock radio stays with bluetooth added on and refoaming speakers
Old 04-10-16, 09:17 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Been working on this radio install for a while but it's almost done.
Didn't buy any kit, just a single din radio, took out the factory cd player, the tape deck needs to stay for the gps and climate control to function.

Last edited by toantran99; 04-11-16 at 07:47 AM. Reason: update picture to remove gps location

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio in ls430?