LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

aftermarket radio in ls430?

Old 11-16-14, 09:41 AM
Erkyjerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same model and year ls430. I need a tv, harness and dash kit exactly the same you have here. Can you point me in the direction please?

Eric.beaner4a@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by motohide
The kit is a Beat Sonic and it's designed to fit into Non-Navigation LS430 04-06 models. (01-03) is basically the same but with a different wire adapter since the in-dash radio sockets are different.

I have a 04-06 kit coming from Japan in one week, if you are interested please email me. moto@club4ag.com

I already have one in my 04 LS430 and following is the photos from it.
It comes with the face trim, that matches the OEM gray center part in color and brackets to bolt into the location left by the OEM tape and CD changer.
Also the harness adapter kit allows you to plug in your head unit directly into the Lexus amplifiers so you don't need to run external amp or speaker wire. Because of Lexus amplifiers two inline inputs and rest being multiplex you will lose the ability to use your steering control and also the ability to fade front and back. However all the rest of the functions will work including left/right balance and DSP functions of the aftermarket radio.
It also comes with an antenna cable adapter to reach your trunk as Lexus LS430 has the OEM tuner in the rear trunk and there is no antenna plug at the dash
And the kit has OEM socket to mate to the glass antenna plug that can be uncoupled from the OEm tuner.
Basically this kit saved me a full day of wiring, as everything is basically plug and play with aftermarket radio and this kit was thought out really well.
In fact for the Audio portion, I didn't have to cut a single wire from the OEM harness!
I just had to wire the following to the Beat-Sonic adapter to the aftermarket radio...then it plugs right into the factory socket.

- Ignition Power
- Battery Constant
- Ground
- Remote Amp
- Front Signal Out (Left and Right) (takes speaker outputs from aftermarket radio)
- Illumination (if you have a screen and needs DIMMER to darken it for night)
- Antenna adapter cable to trunk OEM tuner harness and supplied with LEXUS coupler too!)
That's ALL!!! (for audio part anyway)
Also love the OEM dash color meticulously matched on the in-dash bezel.

For aftermarket "navigation" system install, you also need to wire the following:
- aftermarket GPS antenna
- parking brake line (usually just grounded if by-passed in some aftermarket models)
- reverse gear lamp wire (if you also add Pioneer back-up camera).
These wires need to be tapped into the OEM harness at various points as factory radio does not have them pinned at the radio socket.
- Speed sensor signal is right at the dash radio socket as OEM radio uses the same signal for dynamic volume control.
- Reverse Gear lamp in the trunk lid is a trouble-free location to tap the signal without interfering with Lexus body lamp ECU.

The Beat-Sonic Adapter and Faceplate costs rather hefty money at $400 but with the adapter box to tie in the OEM amplifier and a very well made dash face trim and brackets, I like it.
You can use this with Mark Levinson equipped car or standard audio as the 20pin connector is the same to run either systems.

http://club4ag.com/motols430.htm

Some Photos of install and my car... click link above...

Old 01-19-15, 12:49 AM
shadowhell
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default funn

hmmm what is about the steering control Buttons ???
Old 05-20-15, 11:00 PM
Reg84
Rookie

Any recommendations for steering wheel control interfaces?
Old 11-08-15, 12:33 AM
Jwheaton
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls430 distortion and audio not coming on

Hi guys im only new on the forum i need to sort the popping and intermittent working of my radio . I've read it should be fixed by replacement of a amp ? I think ill replace all my speakers too if im doing the amp . Any idea of the amps that will run the sub and splits in front and 4 2 ways in rear ?
Old 11-08-15, 11:47 AM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

@ #5 re back-up camera
check out Tadi brothers, 7" rearview screen, color, nightvision, mounted over the rearview mirror. Camera is mounted in license plate and connected to the back-up lights. Then WIRELESS to the front. About $230
The following users liked this post:
Caketoo (03-08-17)
Old 01-09-16, 12:51 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Motohide (or anyone else out there who might have an answer!),

In your original post you stated that your aftermarket kit contained a radio antenna adapter and extension cable because the OEM tuner is in the trunk. How did you run the extension cable from the trunk of the car to the back of the new head unit? I am in need of doing the same thing so I am looking for the easiest way to do this. Also, how long of an extension did you need to reach from the trunk to the new head unit?
Old 01-09-16, 07:07 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone have a estimation of how much this kit costs to completely install? itching to get rid of the stock stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Caketoo (03-08-17)
Old 01-10-16, 07:53 AM
Oldsports
Driver

Empringham,

The original post described an install where the OEM head unit was replaced with an aftermarket radio and interfaced with an OEM amplifier using a Beatsonic kit. This means that the OEM amplifier and speakers were not replaced. If this is what you are looking to do, I have seen folks report the installation cost in the neighborhood of $75-100. Of course, this does not include the cost of the kit. If you are talking about ripping out all OEM equipment, that is a huge project that will cost hundreds of dollars.

The Beatsonic kit ($390 on their website) costs significantly more that kits that contain the Metra Axxess TYTO-01 interface ($85-100 on eBay). I am not sure why there is such a large difference in price, but from what I have read it appears that the Beatsonic is a higher quality unit. I am a bit cheap so I purchased a kit with the Metra unit. One difference could be the trim kit - the radio opening for my trim was a little too small for my aftermarket radio; I should have checked the specs more carefully before I purchased it. However, I was able to cut and file the opening so that my unit fits. I have not yet installed the unit in my car so I cannot comment on the TYTO-01 interface performance yet.

By the way, my car is non-Nav, non-ML. If you have ML, that will change the kit that you will need but it does not significantly affect the price.

One other thing - if you have steering wheel controls, they will not work. It appears that the LS430 controls work differently than other Lexus models so no one has developed a steering wheel interface that works with them. I have searched for hours without luck so if anyone has different information please share - I would love to be proven wrong! I heard that the volume controls might still work if the OEM amp is maintained but I cannot confirm or deny this since I have not yet installed my unit. I am really bummed about this - I love my steering wheel controls!!! I am thinking about trying to hack them to get them to work.

Last edited by Oldsports; 01-10-16 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Adding more content
Old 01-10-16, 08:03 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out my costs for Best Buy to install an aftermarket receiver in my non-Nav, non-ML Lexus.
I had to buy a new amp to integrate to the existing wiring and the new receiver.
Plan on budgeting about $300 in labor if you have someone install.
Old 01-10-16, 08:09 AM
Oldsports
Driver

Tradosauru,

Why did you need a new amp to integrate your existing wiring with your new head unit? Did you also use an interface unit like Beatsonic or Metra?
Old 01-10-16, 08:26 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oldsports
Tradosauru,

Why did you need a new amp to integrate your existing wiring with your new head unit? Did you also use an interface unit like Beatsonic or Metra?
I'm just repeating what the Best Buy installer told me. Read my other post on my audio unit. I used Metra.
Old 01-10-16, 10:02 AM
Oldsports
Driver

Tradosauru,

I read your post and see where you talked about the new amp:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...res-price.html

Still not sure why you would need it since your new radio (Sony Model WXGT90BT) has an amp built in. It is only 17 watts per channel (according to the Crutchfield website) but that should not matter since all it is doing is providing the inputs to the interface unit. The OEM amp is still delivering power to the speakers. It looks like you had a number of other things done so maybe that is why you needed a new amp.

I am doing a relatively simple install (replace OEM head unit with aftermarket radio; interface with OEM amp using Metra unit) so I don't need another amp. I thought this would be rather easy but I did not anticipate needing to get the antenna connection from the back of the car to the front. Still have not figured out the best way to route the antenna extension cable from the trunk to the front of the car!
Old 01-10-16, 04:12 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oldsports
Tradosauru,

I read your post and see where you talked about the new amp:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...res-price.html

Still not sure why you would need it since your new radio (Sony Model WXGT90BT) has an amp built in. It is only 17 watts per channel (according to the Crutchfield website) but that should not matter since all it is doing is providing the inputs to the interface unit. The OEM amp is still delivering power to the speakers. It looks like you had a number of other things done so maybe that is why you needed a new amp.

I am doing a relatively simple install (replace OEM head unit with aftermarket radio; interface with OEM amp using Metra unit) so I don't need another amp. I thought this would be rather easy but I did not anticipate needing to get the antenna connection from the back of the car to the front. Still have not figured out the best way to route the antenna extension cable from the trunk to the front of the car!
This is a good thread for others to leave their experience as my experience might not be the accurate way to do it. But the installer said that when he plugged in the adapter to my receiver the amp in the trunk of the Lexus wouldn't work. When he plugged it in the OEM receiver it worked. After he consulted with Best Buy headquarters he found out that putting a new amp in the trunk and running separate wires worked.
Old 01-10-16, 05:03 PM
Oldsports
Driver

Tradosauru,

I will add my installation experience to the post once I successfully install my unit.

I want to make sure I understand your last reply. It appears you are saying that when the Sony receiver was attached to the Metro adapter the OEM amp would not turn on but it did turn on when the OEM head unit was attached. I know that the OEM amp needs a "turn-on" signal from the receiver otherwise you will not get any sound (read this in the Metra instructions). The Metra adapter needs a feed from the aftermarket receiver to act as the turn-on signal. My unit has a "power antenna" signal that I am going to use as the turn-on signal - hope that works.

It sounds like you eventually bypassed the OEM amp with the new amp and wired the speakers to the new amp - am I reading this correctly? There is a $50 charge in your installation bill that reads "Factory amp bypass/integration" so that is why I am assuming you bypassed the OEM amp. If this is true, I would further assume that you did not need the Metra adapter at the end.
Old 01-10-16, 06:30 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

I was able to return the TYTO-01 (amp interface).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket radio in ls430?