LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS 430 used Lexus (Built in Nav or Aftermarket Nav) - Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 10:11 AM
iluvls460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 LS 430 used Lexus (Built in Nav or Aftermarket Nav) - Help

I am looking for a used Lexus in 2005 model due to affordability factors. This is what I heard so far:

1) Built-in Nav is not sophosticated when compared to after market products like Garmin 650 etc.,

Should I simply eliminate the built-in Nav and look for a car without any nav and install after-market Nav systems? Are there any issues?

If I add after market Nav system, can I also add rear view camera setup?

Also, add bluetooth, iPOD capability as a bundle?

Can any one shed some light?
Old 01-21-08, 10:16 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

aftermarket navi will not look right inside a LS430 (looks so DAMN CHEAP!!!)... Factory navi does a lot more than just navigation, it's a onboard computer. I'd opt for factory navigation all day long, as long as it's dvd based navigation...
Old 01-21-08, 10:29 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The built in Nav will be much cleaner looking as KillerGS4 said above. Instead of installing a bunch of nic nack like (external blue tooth on the visor, portable GPS on the windshield, and a backup monitor clipped to the vents and have those power wires all over) I would personally take the plunge and get one with the Nav screen. The cost difference on a used LS should be much less than when it was new. Granted that a portable GPS like Garmin or TomTom will give you better direction and their updates are much cheaper than buying an update Lexus disk. But if cost is a major factor for you, do what you need.
Old 01-22-08, 08:48 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iluvls460
I am looking for a used Lexus in 2005 model due to affordability factors. This is what I heard so far:

1) Built-in Nav is not sophosticated when compared to after market products like Garmin 650 etc.,

Should I simply eliminate the built-in Nav and look for a car without any nav and install after-market Nav systems? Are there any issues?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've seen some nice LS w/o Nav for a good price, but an aftermarket Nav will not look good. Plus, I'm not even sure if it will fit. The height of the radio console looks too small, but it is wide enough.
Old 03-09-08, 08:36 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Agree with OEM choice, BUT...If you must...

Well the OEM Navigation screen also controls HVAC and Maintenance Schduleing Logs... Also in some models, backup camera, audio system are also integrated into the system. Most Lexus also have steering wheel controls for AC and Audio integrated into this unit as well. You lose ALL of that if you remove the factory Navigation.

Now, Lexus cars NOT originally equipped with touch Screen Navigation are plenty abound and this is they type of cars you will want to start with if you MUST have an aftermarket Audio/Navigation system. At least this way the HVAC system will have it's own set of controls not tied to the screen and radio portion can be swapped easier than those cars with fully integrated LCD displays.

However, most newer Lexus cars, though having a standard mounting for 2DIN screen or audio receivers, do not have a standard square face trim. Some aftermarket companies make install kits that fill this space on teh dash nicely, but it's not made for all of them... The cars like LS430, also has wire harness that are completely different between Navigation models and Non Navigation models, and also are tied to sophisticated multiplex links that can't be interrupted without expensive devices installed in-line. This means if you want to install an aftermarket system, you first need to figure out how it will go in and cosmetically install it nicely. Then, you need to basically disconnect all of the Lexus components, including the nice Mark Levinson audio and route all new wires to speakers and power points. Most new Lexus OEM amplifiers cannot accept line signals without the receiver intact so you'd need a series of aftermarket amplifiers to run all 12 speakers in the system properly from your new head unit. (Yes there are crack boxes made in Japan that can integrate even Lexus LS430 and SC430 OEM amplifiers to aftermarket systems like BEAT-BOX, but they run in the hundreds of dollars and are not without issues such as losing ability to fade sound front to rear as OEM amps only have 2 channels trading between the amp and OE head unit and rest controlled via multiplex serial bus.)

With enough homework this can all be done, and it CAN look very nice as well... However, it's not an undertaking by your local car stereo installer at BEST BUY, but reserved for custom high-end installer who have great knowledge in integrating aftermarket audio, and fabricate cosmetic trim.

So... Such tasks are usually reserved for show cars, demo cars, and enthusiasts who have plenty of budget and wish for originality at all cost. If this is a mere desire to have a few non-OEM features on a Navigation system, it is well beyond the cost of what most people would consider 'reasonable' We are talking thousands of dollars in labor and design planning, not including the cost of equipment.

So all costs added and thought through, I think an OEM Navigation equipped LS430 is modern enough to be very convenient and is really the cheapest and most relaible way to have a navigation system. This becasue the cost of installing an in-dash aftermarket system is rather high specifically for a LS430, even if for other cars this isn't usually the case.

Last edited by motohide; 03-12-08 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 05:47 PM
HansJ
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 ls nav

The Nav system on my 2005 LS 430 went on the blink ("no external connection available",) dark screen, though radio, CDs, are working. On E-Bay are used computers available, though my Lexus dealer says that replacing the old with a new is complicated and involves more than reconnecting the wires.
Does anybody have experience with this problem? (I sent the old unit to a repair place in CA and was told that it suffered water damage --I can't quite imagine how water got into the trunk --) and could not be repaired.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-13, 08:17 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Only reason I would go for Nav is because scared look of no-nav dash really creeps me out. See for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 LS 430 used Lexus (Built in Nav or Aftermarket Nav) - Help-lexus-ls430-radio-dash-no-nav.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 04-20-13 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZOTS (01-21-23)
Old 04-19-13, 08:30 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by iluvls460

I have aftermarket Nav with rear view camera in my other non-lexus vehicle. Camera communicates wireless to the Nav. Camera gets power from backup lights and send signal to Nav at that time. This should be possible for Lexus as well.
I like my Lexus Nav because I can control lot of other functions through the touch screen. Nav is outdated and inability to use it while driving makes me nuts. On the practical side cars are not much more expensive with Nav and you recoup the part of the investment when you resell. It is also easier to sell Nav LS430 instead of Non-Nav.
Old 04-20-13, 04:12 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is nav for? To get you from A to B and the indash does that. What is a fancy colorful screen going to do for you? You dont stare at it all day. Like cell.phones, it should get good reception and make calls. We're sp spoiled by "fancy" add ons.
Old 04-20-13, 06:15 AM
CDJones
Driver School Candidate

BMW7_LS430, that is hilarious. Now I'm going to see that every time I see a non-Nav LS.
Old 04-20-13, 11:30 AM
Dailow
Driver School Candidate

I never saw that face in the until it was pointed out...
Now I"ll never be able to look at that dash the same way, ever again.
Old 04-20-13, 10:12 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Now look at the Nav happy Joker face.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 LS 430 used Lexus (Built in Nav or Aftermarket Nav) - Help-lexus-ls430-radio-dash-nav.jpg   2005 LS 430 used Lexus (Built in Nav or Aftermarket Nav) - Help-lexus-ls430-radio-dash-nav-joker-1.jpg   2005 LS 430 used Lexus (Built in Nav or Aftermarket Nav) - Help-lexus-ls430-radio-dash-nav-joker-2.jpg  
Old 04-21-13, 09:47 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn you BMW7 I'm going to keep staring at my dash now.