LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Quietest Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 05:27 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quietest Tires?

Hey all. I have Michelin MXV4 tires on my 02' LS UL and they make the car ride like a tractor. I had not really noticed until I set foot in another LS that made me realize how much noise my tires make. I am in the market to buy new tires and I have done a search but not found what seems to be the quietest tire. I could care less about excellent cornering as this car is a 18 foot long 4 door sedan. I have the air suspension and 17" wheels if that makes a difference. Please advise as I am looking to do this ASAP to reclaim the ride it once had.

Note : It has 20k miles on the tires. 225/55 r17
Old 08-24-07, 11:51 AM
912inc
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard very good feedbacks on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, check it out if you get a chance
Old 08-24-07, 07:41 PM
cdnguy
Driver

Try the TireRack website - and sort by quietness. I bought the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V based on the feedback (as well as the Michelin Winter Sport M3) based on their good feedback, and can't be happier. (the LS-V has been replaced by the Serenity, but it seems to getting good feedback as well)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

This is the listing for All-Season Touring tires, but you may be more interested in Summer Touring, but they didn't seem to rate as high.
Old 08-27-07, 06:22 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm pretty surprised that the Michelins are getting loud. That said, the Bridgestone Turanza ER33s (stock 17" sizes) that were on my '03 when I bought it were SILENT on almost any type of pavement. They were amazing in terms of quiet and smooth ride (but they were also nearly new).
Old 08-27-07, 06:35 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the age of the tires are making all the fuss. You should be happy with both Bridgestone and Michelin. But if you had ridden in someone else LS, maybe you want to get THAT tires for your own.
Old 08-27-07, 07:37 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

I rode in my uncles LS that has 18" wheels so I cannot get his particular tires as they dont make them in my size. But his tires ride so well because they are new. I do not know how well they will hold up and thats why I wanted opinions from you all to see where my 1000 dollars will be best spent.

Ed
Old 08-27-07, 08:15 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you have a bad taste about Michelin, Bridgestone is another great brand that offer slience tires. The new Serenity should be great, althought I have no experience with them.

I personally love Michelin, from their Pilot Sport to MXV4 to their 4x4 Diamalis. Soooo I am bias to say the least.
Old 08-27-07, 11:38 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

BB430,
I have always been a 100% Michelin fan. My tires are somewhat worn and I realize that this contributes to the noise but I looked up the MXV4 approval on TIRERACK and they rate a 7.4 on noise. I was shocked because when I first bought my LS i was happy that it had MXV4's as I had heard they were the best. If they are I have no problem putting them back on but I was just curious as to what the absolute most quiet tire was.
Old 08-27-07, 12:20 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I have never had a bad Michelin tire. Maybe your tires weren't balanced? Michelin came out with this tire a short time ago. If you can get this tire in your size, this would be the tire I would go with. It has a 60,000 mile warranty. My regular MXV 4's only lasted 30,000 miles.

Craig
Michelin® Primacy® MXV4® tires bring the right combination of performance and luxury to a variety of vehicle types. As the newest generation of our popular line of MXV4 tires, the Primacy MXV4 helps deliver the performance and handling you would expect, along with improved ride comfort, better wet braking, and longer wear backed by a 60,000-mile manufacturer’s limited warranty.

Features and Benefits
Get More Miles For Your Money1
Primacy® MXV4® tires feature Advanced MaxTouch Construction™, a unique shape and design that allows for long-lasting, even treadwear, and a 60,000-mile manufacturer’s limited warranty.1

Get Better Control When You Need It Most1
Active Sipes alternately lock together and open as needed to provide increased biting edges that grip the road for improved, all-season handling, especially in rain and snow.1

Enjoy A Quiet, Comfortable Ride
Michelin® Comfort Control Technology™ helps deliver one of the most comfortable rides in the industry by using a computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to offer greatly reduced vibrations and road noise.1
Old 08-27-07, 05:13 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to cast a vote for the Bridgestone Turanza LS series. I have the LS-Zs in 235/45/17 on my 2GS, and it's amazing how quiet and comfortable they are compared to some of the other brands/models I've tried. I don't know if they come in the correct size for the LS, but if they do, you can't go wrong with them.
Old 09-05-07, 09:05 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered 4 new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires. Will have them in by this weekend or early next week. I will provide feedback on the ride once I get them on. It will be a great test as I am going from a horrific ride quality to "serenity". I dont mean to trash michelin guys but my 20 year old truck doesnt have as much road noise with these tires!!!!!

Old 09-05-07, 01:52 PM
cdnguy
Driver

Looking forward to your report - as the LS versions are no longer available -so it will be interesting to see if the Serenity are as good. They are supposed to be - and last longer.
Old 09-06-07, 03:43 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Originally Posted by badbronco8
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered 4 new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires. Will have them in by this weekend or early next week. I will provide feedback on the ride once I get them on. It will be a great test as I am going from a horrific ride quality to "serenity". I dont mean to trash michelin guys but my 20 year old truck doesnt have as much road noise with these tires!!!!!

Great! I am on the crust of purchasing the Serenity tires, but will now wait to read your report. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-06-07, 07:47 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by badbronco8

Uhh...... I think that's going a bit far, isn't it? Having owned a few 4X4trucks very similar to that (such as '77 F150 and '88 F250 with various tires that general size) I know there's no way you could make an LS430 with any Michelin (or pretty much anything else) passenger car tire louder than that truck would be.
Old 09-06-07, 08:08 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Lol I can see what you mean about noise because noise is louder on the truck tires but the smoothness is what killed me. On the LS everytime I roll to a stop at a traffic light or go over a the car feels as if its on a gravel road and you feel the rough surface of te road on the steering wheel at all times. On the truck they make a little noise but they are smoooooth on the road (I also only drive it 800-1000 miles a year ). I will hopefully have my new tires by the weekend and if not early next week. I will keep everyone posted and post pics of how the tires look on the 17" chrome wheel.

Thank you all for all your advice. This board is great!!!!

Ed

Quick Reply: Quietest Tires?