LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 04:55 PM
Royal12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 LS430 with 56k

I bought my 2006 LS430 5 years ago when it had 24,500 miles. At 11 years old it now has 56,300 miles. Did the brakes several months ago. Replaced trunk lid struts. Replaced original battery. Drained and refilled LL coolant. Replaced left side muffler with OEM. Will be replacing tires soon. I have Toyota TechStream so I customized settings; eliminated the final wipe after wipers clean glass; unlock all doors with one fob press; turned OFF power tilt and telescope as I am a slim guy and don't need them (nor the wear and tear on the motors). Dealer had no idea about the wiper setting so glad I did it myself. I plan to do the timing belt at 60k.

Has to be the most comfortable car I have ever owned.
Old 07-28-17, 07:26 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

And you're taking extremely good care of it and are hardly driving it. Might just last you a lifetime.
Old 08-15-17, 08:54 PM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
Well,

In just over 4 years I have gone from 123,000 to 230,000 on the 01 Base. No real issues in the past 10,000 miles… There’s a slight pulse in the steering when braking, going to get it into the Denver Toy Doctor soon and have the trans flushed (last flush 100K ago), look over the suspension as it’s still all original including wheel bearing hubs, if all is well, will have the front end aligned. Just checking to be sure that my braking vibration is not suspension related… Then instead of turning the rotors, it’s been 80,000 miles since the last brake job, I’m thinking, I will replace the brakes from the rotors out. Last time I did Duralast on the brakes, for the money I would say I got my money’s worth, pads are still 50% plus and could turn the rotors without a problem.

Haven’t made up my mind what I brakes I will put on it this time, before any discounts through AutoZone (typically can find anywhere from 20% to 30% with free shipping) I’m at $279 for front and back pads and rotors. Thoughts anyone….?????

The only issues I have had: There was a transmission issue a couple of weeks ago when I got onto the interstate, it did not shift into 5th gear. I let is sit in 4th for a mile or so and it still didn’t shift, I made sure that it was in drive, shifted to 4th and back to drive, still did not shift, took it to neutral and back to drive and it shifted to 5th. Hasn’t happened again. Also getting an engine miss every now and then after coming down from interstate speeds, assuming another coil pack going bad, replaced one about a year ago, checked for codes, no code yet, just waiting on the code to replace the offending coil pack

The oil is changed every 5K with Mobil 1 or equivalent rather it needs it or not, plugs are due in 25K and timing belt in 42K. . To this point I have been able to do all of my own maintenance, knock on wood…..

I also went from Michelin Primacy’s (had 3 sets on this car) to Continental’s about a month ago, I’m at interstate speeds within a ½ mile of the house, both brands flat spot when sitting overnight, annoying for the 1st couple of miles and it’s over, in technical terms I think the Michelins are just a tinch quieter and smother than the Continentals and maybe a very slight handling difference favoring Michelin. I don’t think you can go wrong either way as the Continental’s are pretty close. Haven’t driven the Continental’s in the snow yet.

The interior of the 16 year old car is holding up remarkably well 8 out of 10, about the same as when I bought it. The exterior, the hi-way is taking a toll on the front with rock chips and such. I also have the rust issue coming through on the passenger door at the trim. People are still surprised that it’s a 2001.

My goal is for the LS - To make it to 300K, and then I think I will be looking for my 2010 or up 460 and hope it’s half the car that this one has been. Apologies for being long winded, it was this or work....

Back in another 10,000….
Well I hit 239,999 in the driveway tonight…

Figured it was close enough to 240K. Now driving 40 miles per day instead of 90… Thank You new job!!! Did a road trip from Denver to KC in June.

What's going on with the car, replaced the lower control arm bushings, I just bought the e-bay specials for $100 brackets included, solved a large part of my shimmy issue when braking. Ya, I know not OEM…

It’s been about 90K since I did the brakes, rotors need to be turned. Still getting a shimmy when braking but not near as bad as before the LCA bushing replacement. Also getting a slight vibration at hi-way speeds, just had the tires balanced and rotated, no difference, thinking that a bearing hub might be the cause, there was no change after balance and rotate. All wheel bearing hubs are original. Had the wheels off the ground, tires on, to check for roughness in the hubs about a month ago, bearings had no play, couldn’t feel and roughness in the hubs, as slight as the vibration is, I think the brake pads on the rotors may have hid it… Be able to tell more when I have the calipers off.

I have about 15K on the Conti’s now, no complaints, I think they are comparable in noise to the Michelin, seem to be wearing fine, rotating them every 5K. Just like the Michelins, they do flat spot overnight, the flat spot seems to last longer than the Michelin’s, If I have a complaint that would be it. I am at highway speeds within a ½ mile of the house. They are going to last longer than the Michelins.

I did have a slight engine miss when coming down from hi-way speeds, couldn’t figure it out. Never threw a CEL light, finally got around to putting my reader on it, It had a P0303 if I remember right. Miss # 3 cylinder that just happened to be the same coil pack that I replaced about 2 years ago… Replaced the coil pack, problem solved. The failed one was made in China and bought at O'reilly’s 2 years ago. I know again not OEM, but free replacement.

Don’t remember that last time the fuel computer was reset, average speed 51, average gas mileage 23.1.

To do list:Spark plugs, brakes, trans flush, chase the vibration and that’s about it.

Sorry to ramble, but the wife thinks I’m busy…..

Back in another 10K

2001 Base, Bought in 2011 with 123K
Attached Thumbnails How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)-img_1293.jpg  

Last edited by zapola6; 08-15-17 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 04:02 AM
JWChip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 Black Base w the upgraded 18 in five spoke rims

Bought in 2013 at 75K and now sitting at 141K

Has been utterly flawless

Just did some re upholstering on the driver seat - otherwise interior near flawless

Timing belt was done at 53k so that's coming up shortly

Living in Atlanta and having 2 outstanding indie shops (ToyoTechs and LexTechs) perform all maintenance has been huge on the wallet
Old 08-16-17, 04:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Passed 200k last month, folks who ride in the LS (who don't know cars) often can't believe it's a 2005.
Old 08-16-17, 05:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JWChip
2006 Black Base w the upgraded 18 in five spoke rims

Bought in 2013 at 75K and now sitting at 141K

Has been utterly flawless

Just did some re upholstering on the driver seat - otherwise interior near flawless

Timing belt was done at 53k so that's coming up shortly

Living in Atlanta and having 2 outstanding indie shops (ToyoTechs and LexTechs) perform all maintenance has been huge on the wallet
Da** this is good to hear, because I've already put 14k on mine and coming up on 95k, in 10.5 mos. If I had purchased a new car 10 mos ago and see the odometer at 14,xxx, I'd be beside myself. That's why I'm really glad this car is almost 12 y.o., seemingly bulletproof, and I like driving it....way cheaper than a new car....
Old 08-16-17, 05:20 PM
JWChip
Driver School Candidate

Hell, 95k in this car might as well be 9500 - enjoy sir
Old 08-16-17, 05:43 PM
JWChip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Da** this is good to hear, because I've already put 14k on mine and coming up on 95k, in 10.5 mos. If I had purchased a new car 10 mos ago and see the odometer at 14,xxx, I'd be beside myself. That's why I'm really glad this car is almost 12 y.o., seemingly bulletproof, and I like driving it....way cheaper than a new car....
funny thing is I swear this freaking car drives BETTER today than it did in 13
Old 08-21-17, 09:30 PM
mbr439a
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 ls430

bought it about 6 years ago with 68,000 mils. Now have close to 107,000
Old 08-23-17, 07:23 AM
Nphoops
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 2003 LS430 in April 2014 with 119,000 miles. In January 2015 to June 2017 I drove 120 miles per day (highway), five days a week, plus lots of kid transporting on the nights and weekends. She now has 227,000 miles on it. Quite a bit done to her, mostly routine maintenance and the fact that she's 14 years old. Still runs like a dream thanks to my neighbor who is a certified ASE mechanic working at a dealership who loves to do side jobs on the weekend. He charges his discounted cost for parts and $40/hour labor.

In the past six months:
New tires - second set I've put on
New rear brakes last weekend
Timing belt/water pump two weekends ago (first one was done at 91,000)
New headlight bulbs
New fog light bulbs
Broken drivers seat replaced (Ebay)
Fixed the outside mirror switch (thanks to the forum)

The interior is still very nice. Carpet is perfect (shampoo at least twice a year), the leather is in nice shape. All power options work perfectly except for the drivers door lock actuator.

Repairs ahead:
Driver's door actuator - I have a new motor. I'm going to attempt to change it this weekend.
Transmission fluid is very dark.
Rear pinion seal is leaking slightly. My neighbor will replace the seal in September.
New grille is on the way, thanks to CL member Duck05.
Radiator replacement is probably a spring 2018 project.
Spark plugs
Brake fluid

I'm looking to get to 350,000 miles but I'm afraid that the body won't make it that far. Rust is starting above the left rear wheel well. The space just below the grill is also rusty. Currently checking out prices on an ES330 or another LS430 as my son is about to get his license. I'd give him the LS and I'd drive the new one. Kind of addicted to Lexus now. BTW, I'm 6'7" and my 16 year old son is 6'6", so the LS is perfect for us.
Old 08-23-17, 05:48 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nphoops
I bought my 2003 LS430 in April 2014 with 119,000 miles. In January 2015 to June 2017 I drove 120 miles per day (highway), five days a week, plus lots of kid transporting on the nights and weekends. She now has 227,000 miles on it. Quite a bit done to her, mostly routine maintenance and the fact that she's 14 years old. Still runs like a dream thanks to my neighbor who is a certified ASE mechanic working at a dealership who loves to do side jobs on the weekend. He charges his discounted cost for parts and $40/hour labor.

In the past six months:
New tires - second set I've put on
New rear brakes last weekend
Timing belt/water pump two weekends ago (first one was done at 91,000)
New headlight bulbs
New fog light bulbs
Broken drivers seat replaced (Ebay)
Fixed the outside mirror switch (thanks to the forum)

The interior is still very nice. Carpet is perfect (shampoo at least twice a year), the leather is in nice shape. All power options work perfectly except for the drivers door lock actuator.

Repairs ahead:
Driver's door actuator - I have a new motor. I'm going to attempt to change it this weekend.
Transmission fluid is very dark.
Rear pinion seal is leaking slightly. My neighbor will replace the seal in September.
New grille is on the way, thanks to CL member Duck05.
Radiator replacement is probably a spring 2018 project.
Spark plugs
Brake fluid

I'm looking to get to 350,000 miles but I'm afraid that the body won't make it that far. Rust is starting above the left rear wheel well. The space just below the grill is also rusty. Currently checking out prices on an ES330 or another LS430 as my son is about to get his license. I'd give him the LS and I'd drive the new one. Kind of addicted to Lexus now. BTW, I'm 6'7" and my 16 year old son is 6'6", so the LS is perfect for us.
Agree, perfect car for taller people. I'm "only" 6'3" but the space is one of the many reasons I like the car.
Old 08-23-17, 07:43 PM
davidy
Driver School Candidate

270K on my 2005 UL. Biggest job was swapping out air suspension to springs/shocks. Otherwise mechanically has been great, engine still silky smooth! Cosmetics are definitely starting to show wear such as rubber trim cracking and trunk release button worn out. Unfortunately due to front end collision, i now have some body work to do on it. Any other car and i probably would have sold it, but it has been so rock solid i'm willing to invest a few thousand to keep it going!
Old 08-29-17, 10:11 AM
davidrusk
10th Gear

Default 2006 ls430

Just returned for a trouble free 3,000 mile trip in our 2006 LS430. It's an amazing car, running like new with 94,000 miles. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 87,000 miles out of precaution. Very comfortable car and if you need to get out of someone's way or pass in a hurry.. no problem. It's a rocket! The turning radius is amazing. Having this car eliminates new car fever.
Old 08-29-17, 10:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by davidrusk
Just returned for a trouble free 3,000 mile trip in our 2006 LS430. It's an amazing car, running like new with 94,000 miles. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 87,000 miles out of precaution. Very comfortable car and if you need to get out of someone's way or pass in a hurry.. no problem. It's a rocket! The turning radius is amazing. Having this car eliminates new car fever.
We are very similar....'06, mine is 95,500, timing belt/water pump at 87k. Did not go on as long a trip but did go about 800 miles 2X. I cannot imagine why this car is not like my 1998 Nissan. I clearly remember not being concerned about the odometer, 100, 130, 150, 170, 200, 220, on and on. This car is newer and likely built a lot better than the Nissan. Who wouldn't want a new car, but who wants the payment? This car helped avoid likely a 30k+ loan as I had my sights set on a Golf R then a M2 (neither of which present value). Apples and oranges but I like driving a reliable flagship...
Old 08-30-17, 06:09 AM
bluewater2
Driver School Candidate

2004 LS 430 purchased 3 years ago with 81,000 miles. Timing belt had already been replaced but did have to sink some money into new struts and most recently tires. Currently sitting at 108,000.

Quick Reply: How many miles do YOU have on your LS430? (The Mother thread)