LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake Pad Replacement Cost @ Dealer (!)

Old 10-03-06, 12:25 AM
russelthor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Replacement Cost @ Dealer (!)

My Houston Lexus dealer says the brake pads are near replacement and they want $650+ to do the front and rear. I find that high, even by Lexus dealer standards. I Googled pad kits for $60 (four pads + shims, I think), so $120 plus a few misc parts.
Is the LS430 brake system such that a dealer should do it (anti-squeal shims, electronic wear indicators, mysterious clips and springs), or is this a any-good-shop job, and at what price?
Russell T
Houston, Texas
2004 LS430 UL
Old 10-03-06, 08:38 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you wish the brakes to feel and act like a new vehicle, have Lexus do it.

Otherwise, anyone can do a marginal job...

This is a luxury vehicle, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-03-06, 08:46 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes, but it's simply mechanical parts, nothing special like Mercedes (debatable reliability) SBC where it took a while for the DIY to figure out how to swap out pads and rotors.

Which pad kits did you find russelthor?
Use www.tirerack.com to find prices of comparable pads that fit on your car.

On tirerack there seem to be two pads.
Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads - 71$ per axle (both front and rear) = 142$ total
Satisfied Pro Perform OEM Pads - 30$ front 34$ rear = 64$ total.

How much labor is the dealer charging you?

In the end though, I'd talk to the dealer and ask them why they are charging so much. Figure 200$ in parts, that's 450$ in other stuff -- where is that coming from?
Old 10-03-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
If you wish the brakes to feel and act like a new vehicle, have Lexus do it.

Otherwise, anyone can do a marginal job...

i disagree. it's NEVER an "always" case that you go to dealership and that's the only way to get things done right. a good mechanic or even a normal person who knows enough about cars can do these pads changing on the car and produce the same perfect result.
Old 10-03-06, 09:24 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Don't get rominl to change your pads.
Trust me....
Old 10-03-06, 12:31 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

2004 LS430 and u need to replace the brakes already? How many miles do u have? I just replaced my F&R pads the first time at 53,500 miles.
My total cost: New F&R Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors
New F&R Lexus OEM pads
New Stainless Steel Brakelines
Installation
---------------------------------------------------------
$600.00
Old 10-03-06, 06:11 PM
LEX012006
Driver

I have work for dealerships for over 20 years. Just recently at BMW. Brakes for those cars exceed $1000 (pads & rotors, BMW does not resurface rotors, they replace) and that is warranty cost. Warranty is always less than customer pay. A friend of mine works at a Honda dealer and they get $550 for front & rear pads replacement (with rotors resurface of course). Paying $650 at a Lexus dealership for front & rear is a steal (New York is not a cheap place to own a car). Besides when it comes to brakes, If I am stopped at a light and your coming up behind me, it is a pleasure to know the individual who just fixed your brakes is a technician that has been trained by the manufacturer and specializes in that product (not a Jack of all makes, master of none). Its brakes.....don't sacrifice quality & safety for a few bucks. Good luck on your decision.
Old 10-04-06, 01:57 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I have work for dealerships for over 20 years.
So I guess you're used to ripping people off? Just kiddin.
I've seen dealer techs that are clueless. They'll leave oil caps unscrewed, they'll make a mess in the interior, and some that'll just generally do a ****tier job than my drunken best friend.

If I pick Autocross material on Tirerack for my BMW X5 the prices are as follows
Front pads (axle set) - 119$
Rear pads (axle set) - 100$
Brembo slotted fronts (pair) - 195$
Brembo slotted rears (pair) - 161$
Total - 119 + 100 + 195 + 161 = 575$.

Now I'm young and naive. What takes up the 425$ besides labor?

ATSOU - for what it's worth, I had to replace rotors and pads on my X5 @ 15k miles or so. Drive hard, or go home.
Old 10-04-06, 06:08 AM
LEX012006
Driver

Well most dealers these days labor rates are over $100 per hour, foreign or domestic. If you check the Chilton or Motors labor guide manual (recognized by DMV) the average labor time to replace the front & rear brake pads is about 4 hours (including cutting the rotors). Multiply that time by the labor rate and there is your labor cost. Perfectly fine and reasonable. As for the "C" tech that gets his foot in the door and skates by with work performance like that, well shame on that dealer for not have a stringent quality control program. It is true, there are techs out there that are that f*** up with there work ethics. If you can find a dealership, then form a bond with the advisor, then of course insist on the same tech to work on your vehicle each and every time (like some folks do at my dealership), then your vehicle will definitely get the PERSONAL attention you will definitely enjoy....trust me there is a difference.
Old 10-04-06, 11:17 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal

ATSOU - for what it's worth, I had to replace rotors and pads on my X5 @ 15k miles or so. Drive hard, or go home.
My friend had his 525i F&R pads replaced at around 20K miles. And he drives like a gramma. I guess he steps on his brakes too often.
I drive hard, not braking hard.
Old 10-04-06, 12:20 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Well most dealers these days labor rates are over $100 per hour, foreign or domestic.
OMG.
Thank you BMW free-maint.
Old 10-04-06, 12:44 PM
1SXYIS
Driver School Candidate

How about 2006 IS250? Does anyone know if there any hard obstacles in changing the front brakes? I am already hearing my brakes squeal and I guess i need to change them but since my b/f is a mechanic. I rather have him do that for me. Just that I am kind of a wimp to have anyone besides the dealership to touch the car. However, if Its like changing brakes on any other car I will have him go ahead and do it. Besides the brakes are there any other things I need? If I damage the sensors can I change that myself too or will I have to take it to the dealship for this? Is there a website i can go to so that I can look at pictures of the brake and rotors of the 2006 IS250? Or so it myself..something???help.
Old 10-04-06, 02:13 PM
LEX012006
Driver

Default BMW Brakes

BMW brakes wear regardless how hard or soft you drive. They stop on the dime, but I dor believe the composition of the pads & rotors are a bit soft. Check out the front wheels of the next few BMW's you see on the road, you will notice a severe amount of brake dust on them.
Old 10-04-06, 05:43 PM
SDLS430
Rookie

I bought some Akebono ceramic pads for my wife's Jag and had the dealer do the install. They are cheaper than what the dealer was going to charge my for regular pads by $200. Not only are they cheaper and theoretically work better, there is no more brake dust on the wheels.

Sam
Old 12-18-06, 11:06 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

I just called McGrath Lexus here in Chicago and they are charging $320 PER AXLE for brake pads, shim, and a resurface. Talk about a steal.............on their end! I couldn't stop laughing and hung up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacement Cost @ Dealer (!)