LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Key Programming 2002 LS430

Old 07-16-06, 07:59 AM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Programming 2002 LS430

Yes, I know, I know -- yet another thread on key transponder programming (YATKTP).

I have a 2002 LS430. I bought a master key from Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com), with the idea that I could program it to the car myself. I found the instructions on brake and accelerator pedal pushing to do it, but they don't work for me and I've tried it at least twenty times now. I also found the ones involving turning the key on and off to do it, and they also don't work (another twenty times). I even tried the door locking and unlocking ritual which is to program the remote entry, not the ignition, and they (can you see a pattern here) also didn't do anything.

So, I thought I'd make one last attempt to ask for help before I take it in to my local dealer and admit failure. Has anyone successfully added a duplicate Lexus master key with remote entry to a 2002 LS430? If so, how did you do it?

I have the original master key that works, so that's not an issue. I also searched the forum first (as well as the entire net, I'm fairly certain!). I have the service manuals but I can't find any info on this in them, so if it is there, a page number would be helpful.

Sean
Old 07-16-06, 08:03 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Haha perfect timing. I have a key for the very same model and year car on the way from Sewell. I was planning on doing the brake and gas pedal routine to get it programmed. Are you sure that you are following the instructions exactly? To my knowledge, the Lexus tech training manual states that the gas and brake pedal routine is the appropriate one but it doesnt mention if its for the LS or other models. I assumed it to be a universal technique.

Anyone got some info to help two guys out?
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-06, 09:55 AM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

I got a key a while ago and managed to get the remote buttons worked after two tries. However, the key blade couldn't be programmed. The engine would crank but not start. This was for 2001 LS430 but I guess it would be the same for 2002.
Old 07-16-06, 12:46 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Which programming technique did you use for the remote buttons? Are the remote buttons programming not the same as the key transponder programming?
Old 07-16-06, 01:01 PM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Correct -- there are two different procedures. One ties the transponder in the key to the ignition and allows the car to start. The other one ties the remote entry in the key to the car and allows the key to remotely unlock the doors.

To program remote entry:
Make sure no key in ignition, driver door open and another 3 doors are closed and locked.
Insert the master key into ignition switch then remove it. Lock and unlock driver door 5 times( use the lock and unlock buttom at the door handle, not the master switch).
Then close and open the driver door one time.
Lock and unlock driver door 5 more times (at the door handle, same like the second step).
Then insert the master key in ignition and turn it on and then off. Remove the key. You hear the door lock and unlock itself once.
Then press the lock and unlock bottoms on the key (at the same time) and hold it for about 3 seconds.
Release both bottoms and then just press the unlock bottom for about 3 seconds and you should be done with reprogramming the remote entry.

To program transponder:

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and
remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

Alternate procedure to program transponder:
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that programming has been completed.

None of these procedures worked for me, and I did them all many times. Maybe I was supposed to hum and flap my arms at the same time. ;-)

Seriously, if someone with a 2002 LS430 got any of this to work, please post and let me know how you did it.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 07-16-06, 02:39 PM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I'm getting a lot closer to making this work. I found instructions for adding the remote key functions and pairing the transponder in my service manuals. The procedures are completely different from the ones I've seen so far on the web:

Adding remote key functions:
driver door open, other doors closed, no key in ignition
insert and remove key in ignition twice (without turning it on)
close and open drivers side door twice
insert and remove key from ignition
close and open drivers side door twice
insert key in ignition
close all doors
turn ignition to on then off
remove key
press lock and unlock on the key at the same time
press lock on the key
insert key in ignition
open door
wait 40 seconds

I tried this and it worked (woo hoo!). There is another procedure listed to pair the key transponder to the ignition, which unfortunately *did not* work for me, though I'm going to keep trying. It is also different from what I've seen so far on the web. Here it is:

driver door closed, key not in ignition
insert already registered master key in ignition
turn ignition on/off five times
open/close driver door six times
remove key
insert key to be registered
wait 60 seconds

If anyone has any tips on the second procedure, please let me know. At least I made a little progress!

Sean
Old 07-16-06, 06:44 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

My transponder sequence is listed in the tech training manual. When I am at home I can check it to see if its any different from what you've posted and I will post it up here if it is.
Old 07-17-06, 12:35 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump for much needed info
Old 07-17-06, 09:00 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont want to highjack the thread, but anybody knows where else you can get the key cut besides the dealer.
Old 07-18-06, 11:38 AM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Tried them all! Nothing worked with the transponder!

Ragabnh: try locksmith
Old 07-18-06, 06:36 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

This is what I have in my Tech Training Manual...

To program transponder:

1. Insert existing master key into ignition.
2. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
3. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and
remove key.
4. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
5. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time. (Security Indicator Blinks)
6. After 60 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
7. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

Should work.... Note the first step as you posted above I do not have...I didn't find any instructions in the LS Repair Manual.....What section is it in the Repair Manual and I'll look it up.
Old 07-18-06, 07:42 PM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Amazing how many versions of the instructions there are. Gotta wonder where they all come from. Unfortunately, I tried the new steps twice and didn't see any effect. Hopefully your luck will be better.

I found the steps I posted in volume two of the repair manual, in the BE section on pages BE-99 and BE-193 for both of the procedures. The remote programming procedure worked without a hitch. The transponder procedure appeared to do something, as the security light came on solid in between removing the master and inserting the new key. But then it didn't program. I have a feeling the second procedure is really, really close to working, but something is stopping it. Perhaps a missing step in the repair manual -- I just don't know.

Sean
Old 07-18-06, 08:17 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

splogue:

OK, I located the steps in my repair manual per your page numbers.

This is what I show:

Alternate procedure to program transponder:
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. I DO NOT HAVE THIS STEP!!! ( I simply have instert the new key for this step)
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that programming has been completed.

Try it without turning the key ON, and get back to us. Good Luck
Old 07-19-06, 02:54 PM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Yes, my repair manuals also say to just put the new key in without turning it on. The turn it on thing came from one of the sets of steps out on the web. I tried it both ways and the outcome is the same:

put the master key in, security light sees it and turns off
do the ignition and door slamming thing
remove master key <security light turns solid on, which should mean that it worked so far>
put in new key, security light starts blinking (which the manual says it should)

no matter how long I wait, nothing else happens, and the key is not programmed

At this point I'm thinking it is going to take a dealer with a Lexus scan tool to program it. If you have better luck when your key comes, please post.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 07-28-06, 08:19 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by splogue
Yes, my repair manuals also say to just put the new key in without turning it on. The turn it on thing came from one of the sets of steps out on the web. I tried it both ways and the outcome is the same:

put the master key in, security light sees it and turns off
do the ignition and door slamming thing
remove master key <security light turns solid on, which should mean that it worked so far>
put in new key, security light starts blinking (which the manual says it should)

no matter how long I wait, nothing else happens, and the key is not programmed

At this point I'm thinking it is going to take a dealer with a Lexus scan tool to program it. If you have better luck when your key comes, please post.

Thanks!

Sean
Did you get it done at the dealer? Were you able to ask whether or not the pedal method works (or shoudl have worked) and if so which one? I am interersted in finding out whether the method works on the 01-06 LSes because my key is being re-0cut and will be here soon. Plus, it would be helpful for others which is why I ask.

I also found anothe rsite listing the routine: http://experts.about.com/q/Toyota-80...nder-Key-1.htm

Please let us know what you found out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Programming 2002 LS430