LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Does it work?? Did it ever break??Repaired??
Yes it Broke and had it reapired....
27.55%
NO. The Suspension works like a charm...
66.42%
YES, my AIR CONTROLLER broke it...
6.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 03:27 PM
omniman69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CelsiorFin
My JDM '00 ul now has only 43tkm (26t miles) and now left rear air strut is leaking oil.
There is a lot of information when OEM struts fails but how about other air suspension parts?
How reliable are the parts like height sensors or factory compressor?

I just wonder should I be prepared when something else fail?

sensors and compressors are normally pretty reliable, my '01 Celsior has 123xxx km's on it and the struts are still good, BUT when a strut fails i am goin universal air ride again like how i did for my '92 Celsior back in '12
Old 12-30-18, 07:06 PM
Gtoutdoors
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2004 UL 290k on the clock. Stock air rides perfect.
Old 12-31-18, 03:46 AM
CelsiorFin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by omniman69
sensors and compressors are normally pretty reliable, my '01 Celsior has 123xxx km's on it and the struts are still good, BUT when a strut fails i am goin universal air ride again like how i did for my '92 Celsior back in '12
Thank you for the information. Just thinking should I order set of arnott rear struts ($1,189) now or wait and see how long other struts works. At the moment only left rear air strut is leaking just a little bit and I don't notice any problem when driving.
Old 12-31-18, 11:51 AM
atticusgre
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who have been in stock coilovers and air both, how do the 2 compare comfort/ride wise?
Old 01-01-19, 12:59 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CelsiorFin
Thank you for the information. Just thinking should I order set of arnott rear struts ($1,189) now or wait and see how long other struts works. At the moment only left rear air strut is leaking just a little bit and I don't notice any problem when driving.
my friend with an air ride equipped LS460L had 2 Arnott’s installed in the rear and he was very disappointed. He said they sag and ride poorly and better to not even go that route.
Old 01-01-19, 06:21 AM
CelsiorFin
Rookie

Originally Posted by aypues
my friend with an air ride equipped LS460L had 2 Arnott’s installed in the rear and he was very disappointed. He said they sag and ride poorly and better to not even go that route.
Really? I understood that arnotts would be a good option to replace the original ones. Does this (sag and ride poorly) problem only affect ls460?

How about LS430 users who have changed OEM air strusts to Arnotts? Can you say that Arnott struts are a good alternative to OEM struts?

I don't know but I guess that Arnott strusts are probably as loose as OEM strusts and it can be problem for some users. I would like a much stiffer suspension than OEM so maybe those arnotts are not a good alternative for me.

If it wasn't for the money I would definitely choose completely separate universal air ride system and change all 4 struts at once.
Old 01-01-19, 10:03 PM
omniman69
Driver School Candidate

When i went UAR i bought factory struts off rockauto and modified them to work with the bag bracket kit that came with UAR. Ride quality was better with the custom UAR setup than factory air.
Old 01-14-19, 09:36 AM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Questions for those with a Data Controller

I'm looking to get a DC now and see different ones and not sure which one I need to get for my 05 UL.

1. Is there a different DC needed for the 01-03 vs. 04-06?
2. The difference in harness cables (D vs. E). Which harness cable do I need?
3. I saw a picture of a harness cable with a "blue" connection (assuming speed sensor) and one without. Do I need that for mine?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-14-19, 10:25 AM
CelsiorFin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gee44
Questions for those with a Data Controller

I'm looking to get a DC now and see different ones and not sure which one I need to get for my 05 UL.

1. Is there a different DC needed for the 01-03 vs. 04-06?
2. The difference in harness cables (D vs. E). Which harness cable do I need?
3. I saw a picture of a harness cable with a "blue" connection (assuming speed sensor) and one without. Do I need that for mine?

Thanks for the help
1. No difference
2. You need E harness

3. if I understand correctly it is not needed.
Old 01-14-19, 11:01 AM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help...I didn't want to order the wrong one.
Old 11-10-19, 07:06 AM
jjb89
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation front drivers shock leaks down overnight

I'm looking for someone who knows where leaks may happen in this suspension and any advice.

I replaced my struts with Arnott aftermarket replacement struts because I wanted to keep the air ride in the car, I do like that about the car and these struts seemed like a good alternative for me over OEM air struts. SO here's what has happened:

My rear struts, and front passenger side hold air just fine with the new Arnott air struts, but the front drivers side does not hold air even overnight. The air line is indeed fine, I have checked it more than once. I rotated my tires a while back and that front drivers shock, when I went to lower the car back down after snugging up the lug nuts, lost all of its air and the car ended up smacking my floor jack due to my own lack of control letting the car back down, that floor jack was insanely stiff. However, since then it seems that front drivers side shock, even though it's not even a year old at this point, leaks down air and the rest all hold. Depending on how long I drive the car (which isn't often at all because I have a work truck) I hear the air pump going off just around town so I know something isn't right. I try to limit the car's use because those pumps are not cheap at all.

When I drive the car it airs up and feels fine, but after it sits overnight, that front drivers strut is totally deflated. All the air hoses and fitting are properly connected, those do not leak either, I have sprayed them with soap and water multiple times.

When an air strut bottoms out like that does it blow internal seals? Are there check valves at the air pump that can go bad? Is there anything else obvious I can check? I haven't had a ton of time over the last year to look into it all and I dread taking the car in. I figured with everyone's knowledge out there I can at least get some good wisdom and feedback. I love the car and would like to get it totally fixed! I appreciate your help a lot!
Old 11-10-19, 07:11 AM
jjb89
Driver School Candidate

I have Arnott on all 4 corners of my 2002 LS430 and they're a touch more stiff than OEM. But that could just be because those original struts were so old and two of them were shot. I'm happy with the Arnott struts overall though.
Old 11-10-19, 07:18 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

A friend has a 460 and he puts 2 Arnotts on the rear and regrets it. Sagging and rides bad.
Arnott also confirmed to me on the phone that they only utilize 1 damping profile, and lack the continual adjustable damping of the OEM air struts.
Old 04-05-20, 07:59 AM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be swapping the drivers front air strut assembly due to the oil leaking out of the strut. It started to ride very bad on my 2005 UL w 130k miles. Not bad for being 15 years old. I bought a used JDM strut from eBay for under $400. I looked at the arnott but I want the factory adjustability.
Old 09-06-21, 02:50 PM
Juggis80
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2001 LS430 300000 km stock air still going strong.
The following users liked this post:
BigBoomer (09-07-21)

Quick Reply: LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here