LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Warren Brown's Review of the `06 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 01:38 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
You people can't accept crticism at all but you sure know how to dish it out. He is not making snide comments about your Mother merely a seat!!!!
Let's see: according to Warren, "... the leather was perfect and stitching was impeccable but seat was uncomfortable..." What does *perfect leather* mean to Warren ? If something is perfect, how is it bad/uncomfortable at the same time ??? Genius reviewer he is... Like mkosu mentioned, this is NOT a car review. What about what owners care about ??? Luxury, ride, handling, performance, speed, braking, transmission, engine, build quality, NVH, etc... etc.... How much did any of these features factor into Warren's review ?
Old 01-05-06, 01:56 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkirchner
You people can't accept crticism at all but you sure know how to dish it out. He is not making snide comments about your Mother merely a seat!!!!
I think that's even missing the point, the criticism in his review is unjust. My parents have an LS430 Ultra and so does lex430 and we both agree the rear seats are great!
Old 01-05-06, 03:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

ive heard actual owners criticize the room and feel of the ls backseat so does that mean their opinions are unjust, theirs no need to act like he personally attacked anyone who drives a 430. I bet if he made the same comments about a MB or BMW most ppl would be ready to chime in and agree
Old 01-05-06, 03:59 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluestar
Let's see: according to Warren, "... the leather was perfect and stitching was impeccable but seat was uncomfortable..." What does *perfect leather* mean to Warren ? If something is perfect, how is it bad/uncomfortable at the same time ??? Genius reviewer he is... Like mkosu mentioned, this is NOT a car review. What about what owners care about ??? Luxury, ride, handling, performance, speed, braking, transmission, engine, build quality, NVH, etc... etc.... How much did any of these features factor into Warren's review ?
"the leather was perfect and stitching was impeccable but seat was uncomfortable". I can say the same thing about the driver's seat since I find it too soft and cushy but it is impeccably made. I also owned a SC 430 and that seat was was perfectly stitched, the leather was gorgeous and had as much support as a wooden box. However that is my opinion and I still think people are entitled to their personal opinions.

"handling, performance, speed, braking" My wife drives an LS430 and trust me the car has mediocre handling, fair speed, average braking and in today's market better than average performance but definitly not exhilarating. Let's not get too carried away with the attributes of an LS. They are very nice cars but from a performance aspect they were never made to fit into a "performance" category.

Also don't get your knickers in a twist because some newspaper reviewer didn't address what you thought he should. If that were the case he would have first surveyed LS owners on what they wanted reviewed. Isn't that like the fox guarding the hen house?
Old 01-05-06, 07:43 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluestar
I TOTALLY disagree with you and Warren's pov. It makes absolutely no sense to criticize back seat comfort when that is a strength of the LS. My '99 is very comfortable, I have sat back there a few times. Even if it is not as comfortable as he writes, who cares ? Do people buy cars because of rear seat comfort ? Warren should stick to reviewing old geezer cars and stay out of luxury cruisers like the LS. Car reviewers working for newspapers are in the wrong job..... Cannot expect robust and concise review from a newspaper bobsled masquerading as a car reviewer....
So, it's only those reviews that are complimentary of EVERY aspect of the LS that are acceptable? It's evident that most of the people who responded to this thread love their Lexuses, as do I. Personally, I don't take offense to Warren's comments. If you've read his other reviews about Lexuses, you would know that he is a big fan of the brand as well. Therefore, I am interested in learning more about his point. However, I don't think it's fair to marginalize someone simply because they voice a differing opinion. We can disagree without questioning someone's intelligence and/or socio-economic status. We're lucky that we can afford to drive cars as nice as a Lexus. Because someone else doesn't or cannot afford to drive a Lexus does not make them inferior. My Dad drives an old Thunderbird (what you would refer to as an old geezer car). He is 88 years-old and proud that he was part of Patton's army that releived U.S. troops at Bastogne in 1944-45. But I digress. My point is this: let's not enjoy our cars at others' expense.
Old 01-05-06, 10:06 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

We can disagree without questioning someone's intelligence and/or socio-economic status. We're lucky that we can afford to drive cars as nice as a Lexus. Because someone else doesn't or cannot afford to drive a Lexus does not make them inferior.

What are u talking about here ????? I suggested Warren stick to reviewing geezer cars, so what's with that ? Can't others express their opinions w/out being slammed ? Sheesh!
Old 01-05-06, 11:16 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait..Lexus's have back seats? Hmm , I have to go out and look at mine. Seriously I never bought a car because of back seat comfort and this is the first I have ever read this about the LS430 from any source. He summed up an entire car on the back seats and key fob. An unfair review without a doubt.
Old 01-06-06, 12:07 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
So, it's only those reviews that are complimentary of EVERY aspect of the LS that are acceptable? It's evident that most of the people who responded to this thread love their Lexuses, as do I. Personally, I don't take offense to Warren's comments. If you've read his other reviews about Lexuses, you would know that he is a big fan of the brand as well. Therefore, I am interested in learning more about his point. However, I don't think it's fair to marginalize someone simply because they voice a differing opinion. We can disagree without questioning someone's intelligence and/or socio-economic status. We're lucky that we can afford to drive cars as nice as a Lexus. Because someone else doesn't or cannot afford to drive a Lexus does not make them inferior. My Dad drives an old Thunderbird (what you would refer to as an old geezer car). He is 88 years-old and proud that he was part of Patton's army that releived U.S. troops at Bastogne in 1944-45. But I digress. My point is this: let's not enjoy our cars at others' expense.
You misunderstood my post.
Old 01-06-06, 12:16 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

I have a suggestion for those of you who are so totally upset with his review -------------stop your b i t c h i n g on this forum and contact Warren directly. As they say on the Guiness commercials BRILLIANT
Old 01-08-06, 07:55 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My office partner called the Washington Post and asked to...

speak to Warren Brown and they politely said that he works from home and gave us his phone number! Warren picked up the phone and said hello etc. We asked him if he knew that the Ultra Luxury Package LS430's back seats were heated/cooled and ventilated, Power adjustable with memory and you can turn the massage on? He was not aware of that. Did he know that the rear seating had its own dedicated climate control with an electrostatic filter and anti bacterial ultra violet purification? Answer.. No....My friend asked him if he knew about the little beverage cooler compartment behind the armrest? Not aware. We conclude that he never found the control panel by lowering the armrest. Possibly the seat was in a bad position when he sat it in and he never found out how to operate it.

On the following page he penned an article about the resurgence of Ford and GM. As we all have opinions Warren is entitled to his. As a reporter though I give him a failing grade on this effort. Hint: Do a little research Warren. He gets away with misinformation again but what do you expect from someone who used to have a gas station and then became a car critic? Some dealerships in our area have refused to loan him cars to do these articles as his information can be misconstrued as fact.

Rock
Old 01-12-06, 08:38 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 01 Ultra. I have never really been in the back seat until just now after reading this guy's review.

I went out to the garage, moved my drivers seat forward a little cuz I'm 6'2, got in the back, flipped the armrest down, turned on the seat heater, massage, stereo, and climate control, reclined the seat and elevated the headrest.

I think thats really the first time I've been back there and played with every gadget at the same time to optimize my comfort.

OMFG, all I can say is that guy was smoking crack when he wrote that article.
Old 01-13-06, 05:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Rockville
speak to Warren Brown and they politely said that he works from home and gave us his phone number! Warren picked up the phone and said hello etc. We asked him if he knew that the Ultra Luxury Package LS430's back seats were heated/cooled and ventilated, Power adjustable with memory and you can turn the massage on? He was not aware of that. Did he know that the rear seating had its own dedicated climate control with an electrostatic filter and anti bacterial ultra violet purification? Answer.. No....My friend asked him if he knew about the little beverage cooler compartment behind the armrest? Not aware. We conclude that he never found the control panel by lowering the armrest. Possibly the seat was in a bad position when he sat it in and he never found out how to operate it.

On the following page he penned an article about the resurgence of Ford and GM. As we all have opinions Warren is entitled to his. As a reporter though I give him a failing grade on this effort. Hint: Do a little research Warren. He gets away with misinformation again but what do you expect from someone who used to have a gas station and then became a car critic? Some dealerships in our area have refused to loan him cars to do these articles as his information can be misconstrued as fact.

Rock

OWNED!!!! So he reviewed the car without really reviewing the car??

I am 6"5 220 and the LS backseat was FINE to me, tons of room. I will say the S and IMO are roomier in the back but they are what, 6 inches longer? And the Longwheelbase version of the 7 has a huge rear, like the A8L.

The guy sounds like a Jeremy Clarkson knock-off.

But to each his own and he may have some points, otherwise Lexus wouldn't continue to improve the LS. The 07 LS backseat would HAVE to impress him.

If he actually opened his eyes.
Old 01-13-06, 06:48 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

this thread is getting kind of touchy, come on guys/gals the LS is just a car and there are more important things to argue over than 1 mans opinion
Old 01-13-06, 06:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
this thread is getting kind of touchy, come on guys/gals the LS is just a car and there are more important things to argue over than 1 mans opinion
It is not that people are getting touchy-not even close from what I see here, it is that he wrote about a car in a publication without actually reviewing the car and a few people are commenting on it. Is all.
Old 01-14-06, 09:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville

Rock
lol, good one man, good one...

Quick Reply: Warren Brown's Review of the `06 LS430