LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 08:04 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should just start a separate thread or do a search, I'm sure people will chime in.

I am planning on throwing on some 19" wheels, probably be 19x9 +38 and 19x10 +35.

Originally Posted by BK LS430
Question, do you happen to have aftermarket rims on your LS? for some reason ive been asking all LS driving members and even lexus owners on this site in general about rim specs (off set , tire size, etc) and for some reason people are not to responsive to my constant ad's. You would think someone would share with you on this site, go figure.

P.s. before everyone starts complaining that this is not a RIM thread, relax. lol
Old 05-07-08, 04:32 PM
oversteer
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sub is 12ohm!!!

So I read this thread and figured that enough people were saying the factory ohm was 2 ohms that I just figured they must know what they were talking about. I went out and bought a 2ohm sub and as soon as the radio started playing and any bass was present, the entire stereo shut down. It obviously looked like an impedence problem so I pulled out the trusty ohm meter and here is what I found: the OEM Mark Levinson sub is 12 ohm not 2 ohm! In rewired the voice coils in serial to get 8 ohm and now it seems to work fine (but obviously still does not have any punch since the amp is junk). I just thought I would give a heads up that if you want to replace the sub, you need to at least look for an 8 ohm unit - 2ohms will definitely trip the amp protect and 4 ohm probably will as well if you add any bass.
Attached Thumbnails My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...-marklevinson12ohms.jpg  
Old 05-08-08, 08:29 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

incredible find
Old 06-15-08, 08:44 AM
underway
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the specs of the Levinson Amp in the 01 UL? RMS Power to the subwoofer?
Old 08-06-08, 11:03 AM
mkivowner
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oversteer
So I read this thread and figured that enough people were saying the factory ohm was 2 ohms that I just figured they must know what they were talking about. I went out and bought a 2ohm sub and as soon as the radio started playing and any bass was present, the entire stereo shut down. It obviously looked like an impedence problem so I pulled out the trusty ohm meter and here is what I found: the OEM Mark Levinson sub is 12 ohm not 2 ohm! In rewired the voice coils in serial to get 8 ohm and now it seems to work fine (but obviously still does not have any punch since the amp is junk). I just thought I would give a heads up that if you want to replace the sub, you need to at least look for an 8 ohm unit - 2ohms will definitely trip the amp protect and 4 ohm probably will as well if you add any bass.
Does any one replaced 8 ohm yet? my 04 ls430 ML Subwoofer was blown...
Old 08-07-08, 10:45 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know a good place in the philly area that'l do this for me. I'm sure this it'd be soooo easy for me to do myself but i'm terrified of pulling something off, breaking this or cutting the wrong wire and totally burnin down my LS til it melts to the size of a cell phone!!!
Old 08-07-08, 01:26 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by So Philly1
Anyone know a good place in the philly area that'l do this for me. I'm sure this it'd be soooo easy for me to do myself but i'm terrified of pulling something off, breaking this or cutting the wrong wire and totally burnin down my LS til it melts to the size of a cell phone!!!
I'm sure any audio or possibly a best buy/circuit city would do it for you. Its actually pretty easy....
Old 08-14-08, 06:17 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the easiest way to remove the subwoofer grill/cover? I'm sure it has clips or something but I just don't want to break anything.

TIA
Old 08-14-08, 06:26 AM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Just put your finger nail in between the line that seperate the grill from the deck and lift it straight up. It doesn't take much force, atleast on mine it wasn't.
Old 08-17-08, 01:56 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BK LS430
Question, do you happen to have aftermarket rims on your LS? for some reason ive been asking all LS driving members and even lexus owners on this site in general about rim specs (off set , tire size, etc) and for some reason people are not to responsive to my constant ad's. You would think someone would share with you on this site, go figure.

P.s. before everyone starts complaining that this is not a RIM thread, relax. lol
I started with 20 x 9 with a 2.5 inch lip (front) and 20 x 10 with a 3.5 inch lip (rear). Unfortunately I don't know the offset nor do I know how to post pics. I didn't like this set up so I manually took apart my 3 piece rims and added a 1/2 inch bigger lip to each rim. So now I have a 20 x 9.5 with a 3 inch lip (front) and 20 x 10.5 with a 4 inch lip (rear). I have not rolled my fenders at all but I do get some rubbing only when I turn corners hard to the right for some reason. I figures i can fix this by bending up the inner lip since it is a light rub but I have not done it yet. Fyi, I lowered my car approximately 2 inches with tein coilovers. If you tell me how to calculate or find the offset I will tell you. When I had my 20 x 9 and 20 x 10 set up I had no rubbing at all.
Old 09-01-08, 08:50 AM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

I am making sure before I order but is this the one everyone is getting:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

If it is man it has gone down alot.
Old 09-12-08, 03:03 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how about this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL+GTO804.html
Old 09-12-08, 03:22 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys need to get a dual 6 ohm sub and wire it in series to yield 12 ohms.

I dunno any dual 6 ohm 10" except for the older JL w6, and even then you won't be able to mount it, and even if u can, your measly mark levinson power to sub of 20 watts is not going to cut it.

either stick to stock sub repair or oem replacement, or add entire new amp and sub.
Old 09-13-08, 06:49 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemareen
you guys need to get a dual 6 ohm sub and wire it in series to yield 12 ohms.

I dunno any dual 6 ohm 10" except for the older JL w6, and even then you won't be able to mount it, and even if u can, your measly mark levinson power to sub of 20 watts is not going to cut it.

either stick to stock sub repair or oem replacement, or add entire new amp and sub.
Man I really dont want to spend all that money on a OE ML Sub
Old 09-27-08, 06:31 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This sub is not 12 ohms. Ohms CANNOT be measured as it was above because the ohm reading on the speakers will vary as frequency varies. The only way to test this is to use an audio output and to chart the ohm readings as frequency changes. The listed ohm value of a speaker as provided by its manufacturer is simply the average of this curve.

I wish someone just had a connection at Toyota and could find out the specs on this ML sub once and for all.

Quick Reply: My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...