LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Removing rear Lexus/LS430 emblems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 12:18 PM
blkbeauty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear Lexus/LS430 emblems?

Is there a way to remove the emblems off the back of the car so it would only have the center Lexus emblem (Circled L)? Basically I want to remove the emblem on the far right and left side. I think it would be a very clean look and I have heard that a hair dryer will remove the emblems on most cars. But with this beauty, I don't want to screw it up - especially if there are screws that attach the two emblems. Any ideas or experience with this?
Old 12-17-04, 12:33 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

What you want to do is heat up the adhesive to make it pliable. A hair dryer is a good way to do it. After you use the hair dryer, use dental floss and gently work it behind the emblems you want to remove. Just gently pull the dental floss, with a sawing motion, from behind one side of the emblem all way to the other side. This should remove the emblem without scratching the paint. Then remove any adhesive that remains on the paint.

Mike
Old 12-17-04, 02:43 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Default Re: Removing rear Lexus/LS430 emblems?

Originally posted by blkbeauty
Is there a way to remove the emblems off the back of the car so it would only have the center Lexus emblem (Circled L)? Basically I want to remove the emblem on the far right and left side. I think it would be a very clean look and I have heard that a hair dryer will remove the emblems on most cars. But with this beauty, I don't want to screw it up - especially if there are screws that attach the two emblems. Any ideas or experience with this?
STOP!!!!

There are holes on the trunk behind the LEXUS and LS430 emblem. (for alignment purposes)
If you remove those 2 badge, you will have 4 exposed holes on your trunk, not a good thing.

Last edited by TRD-bB; 12-17-04 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 03:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Default Re: Re: Removing rear Lexus/LS430 emblems?

Originally posted by TRD-bB
STOP!!!!

There are holes on the trunk behind the LEXUS and LS430 emblem. (for alignment purposes)
If you remove those 2 badge, you will have 4 exposed holes on your trunk, not a good thing.
Wow thats good to know trd. So you have an LS430 and have seen this for yourself? I thought only the older cars have the alignment holes and the newer ones (98+) did not. Very good info.
Old 12-17-04, 05:49 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: Removing rear Lexus/LS430 emblems?

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Wow thats good to know trd. So you have an LS430 and have seen this for yourself? I thought only the older cars have the alignment holes and the newer ones (98+) did not. Very good info.
Yep, learned it the hardway!!

I was trying to do excatly what blkbeauty is talking about, took the LS430 emblem off, and there were 2
freaking holes staring back at me!! But all is good now, I cover them up with a JDM Celsior badge
Old 12-17-04, 07:05 PM
blkbeauty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I got impatient and starting tinkering and found the alignment hole right behind the l in Lexus. But, I didn't go any further, so I don't think there is any real damage. I wish they didn't use this. I have seen some Mercedes S-class sedans with the badging removed except for the 3 star emblem and it looks very nice. Oh well. Can't have it all, right???
Old 12-17-04, 07:21 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally posted by blkbeauty
Thanks for the info. I got impatient and starting tinkering and found the alignment hole right behind the l in Lexus. But, I didn't go any further, so I don't think there is any real damage. I wish they didn't use this. I have seen some Mercedes S-class sedans with the badging removed except for the 3 star emblem and it looks very nice. Oh well. Can't have it all, right???
Yeah, its kind of stupid, I know for a fact that GS and IS do not have this problem.
Makes you wonder why they put holes on the LS.........
Old 12-17-04, 10:34 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, even the first gens have holes for the emblems. Only the aftermarket replacement emblems or add on emblems are stick on. Why do they have holes? Because they're harder to get off! That's top quality.

If you want to remove it you need to "shave" it. Body shops can do this. What they do is they remove the emblem(s), sand the area down, weld the hole up, smooth it, then repaint it. If the shop is good it will look like the emblem was never there.
Old 07-08-05, 07:01 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexLS
If you want to remove it you need to "shave" it. Body shops can do this. What they do is they remove the emblem(s), sand the area down, weld the hole up, smooth it, then repaint it. If the shop is good it will look like the emblem was never there.
aprox cost....i was sick of the lexus i needed shaven..., iftofacto, i have 7 holes in trunk so i need to get filled.
clear silicon for temp fix?

thanks
ryan
Old 07-09-05, 10:51 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ask a bodyshop to do it...
I did it to my SC, and it looked the emblems were never there...