LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Story of your Rear Seat Entertainment System on your LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 10:10 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Story of your Rear Seat Entertainment System on your LS430

I need a rear seat entertainment system on my LS430. I bought the Sony DVX-100 10-disc DVD changer with remote control + transceiver that you can mount on the front windshield, FM Modulator (on FM 88.9MHz) , and Audio video outputs.
(Here is the .SONY DVX-100 on crutchfield )
I plan to install two Kenwood 6.5" LZ-6500W LCD on to the headrests. Install a pair of IR wireless headphones so that when I don't want to listen to the DVD, the passenger can use the headphones.

Some technical questions I have are:
1. Does the ML radio receiver have the standard antenna connector so that I can connect the FM modulator in series? If so, would it be in the back of the radio receiver or I could find it in the trunk somewhere around the navigation unit maybe?
2. The headrests are powered. Can it be removed easily and run the wire around the poles of the headrests without interfering the motor / gears?
3. Is there any room in the back of the front seats for me to tie the brain of the LCD to?
4. I have UL. There is a AC in the trunk. That limits the space for mounting the DVD changer. Or it is impossible at all?

Any LS430 owners out there with any experience (good or bad) with installing a rear seat entertainment system? What configuration do you have? Your comment is appreciated
Old 11-25-04, 06:12 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Does the ML radio receiver have the standard antenna connector so that I can connect the FM modulator in series? If so, would it be in the back of the radio receiver or I could find it in the trunk somewhere around the navigation unit maybe?

No, it's not a standard antenna plug and will require your antenna wire to be cut to add a FM modulator. The tuner is located in the trunk on the left side looking into the trunk (opposite side as navigation).

2. The headrests are powered. Can it be removed easily and run the wire around the poles of the headrests without interfering the motor / gears?
Yes, wire can be run up next to headrest post. But if you want the wire right next to the post it will require cutting a bit into the plastic mounting. Of course the wire must be able to slide up and down into the seat or headrest if you want it stay straight next to the post.
3. Is there any room in the back of the front seats for me to tie the brain of the LCD to?
Lots of room behind the seats. Undo two screws up under the back seat flap to remove them. A monitor module could also be attached to the bottom of the seat with tie strap.
4. I have UL. There is a AC in the trunk. That limits the space for mounting the DVD changer. Or it is impossible at all?
There is room back there. I'd pull down a bit of felt board on the upper right side of the trunk. There is room that you might be able to mount the unit there with just the DVD face exposed.

Any LS430 owners out there with any experience (good or bad) with installing a rear seat entertainment system? What configuration do you have? Your comment is appreciated

Oh boy. The LS430 is so tight. The biggest problem will be getting your wires routed. The center arm rest/console is very difficult to remove. You would be best to route the monitor wires to the outside door sills and back to the trunk. Also you will find it difficult to pass wires thru to the trunk, but there is a hole on the upper rear deck that passes to the trunk (right where I told you to mount the DVD player).
Old 11-25-04, 07:56 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Thanks LS007. You are very knowledgeable.

On the antenna connector issue, what kind of cable/wire is it that I have to cut and what kind of adapter I have to use in order to connect the FM modulator in between?
Radio Shack has it? Or simply solder the wire?

Wish you were in Northern California. I would have simply given you the job.
Old 11-26-04, 06:28 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Ok, I did some more researches (or searches) and concluded that it is challenging to inject audio into the unique LS430 audio system. FM modulator doesn't sound good and it requires modifing some antenna wire to connect to the FM modulator standard motorola antenna connection. And injecting the audio directly into the line between the tuner and the amplifier requires adding a relay and a control switch and also have to deal with converting unbalanced signal to balanced signal.

I guess I will just keep on researching / reading.
Old 11-27-04, 11:38 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the posts regarding the xm satellite mods that vcheng and I are trying to get going for ls 430 owners. also check out vaistech.com . maybe these sources can help you on your quest. there is a diagram in the posts about the xm satellite that I posted that come directly from vaistech and show the wiring of the ML /nav system .
Old 12-01-04, 11:30 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

What vaistech.com is making would really change my plan of adding video entertainment for my LS. Now I am leaning forwards adding a XBOX (under glove compartment?) and some baby cams with a 4x4 A/V switch. This is getting more interesting.

I wonder how that AVIC-100 Audio/Video Auxiliary Input Adapter can allow control of audio and video independently. I certainly do want to still see my navigation map while the passengers are listening to the DVD.