LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine doesn't have the momentum it used to

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 02:04 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Engine doesn't have the momentum it used to

Hello,

I have a very big question for all of you.....
My Engine seems not to start going as fast while in drive and foot is off the gas pedal. It used to automatically go a bit when it was put in drive but now it does not.
It almost seems as if my car is very heavy (although I currently have the back seats out so it is not) when I am accelerating also. Is something not lubricated enough under the car?
I have used some of that de-greaser stuff under my car and especially in the wheel wells. Could this be the problem? Is it just not lubricated enough in the joints?

If lubrication would help at all please inform me of what you reccomend me to get, and where to apply it.

-Jason Elcan

P.S. I know my LS has abnormally less "go" because my friend has one that feels a lot "lighter" (if thats the right word). Do you guys get what I am saying?
Old 10-15-03, 02:08 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think it has to do with degreaser or lubrication
Old 10-16-03, 07:11 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing that comes to mind is a hand brake (foot brake in your case). It gets jammed on older cars and causes exactly the situation that you are describing.
Remove your rear wheels and se if rear breaks are engaged by turning rotors a few inches by hand. If they don’t move, than you know where the problem is (if you’re lucky).
If not, it’s probably transmission, in which case, you’re probably going to spend lots of time in diagnostics and lots of $$$ in repairs.
Good luck.
Old 10-16-03, 07:16 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Oh...
I just noticed your website!
Is this the same LS that you flogged in the video?
I must tell you that my bet is that you're having a tranny problem.
This car wasn’t meant to be abused like that. Especially since it's over 10 years old now.
Old 10-16-03, 07:55 AM
Lvangundy

1st, you should listen to those who have more experience and knowledge than you.

2nd, "engine" isn't a proper noun.

3rd, your back seats weigh less than having someone else sit in the car. Unless this person weighs less than 40 lbs.

4th, you actually had 4 questions, is that one big one to you?

5th, I'd bet your current mesh wheels weigh more than the stock 15"s. In reference to #1, listen to Jbrady's dicsussion on Lextreme.com about wheel size and performance.

6th, based on what you did in those videos your transmission's life was proably shortened considerably. You could be having a transmission or driveline problem if your car isn't holding speed, or something else..
Old 10-16-03, 08:39 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

IT could be the tranny, but the LS400 was never known to have a tranny problem. It could be anything, best bet is to take it to someone, and you know what they will do.. tune up everything till they find the problem.. that means they start with the ignition tuneup and workon from there.. But i just cant see the tranny taking a ****** on these cars
Old 10-16-03, 08:45 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally posted by persian451
IT could be the tranny, but the LS400 was never known to have a tranny problem. It could be anything, best bet is to take it to someone, and you know what they will do.. tune up everything till they find the problem.. that means they start with the ignition tuneup and workon from there.. But i just cant see the tranny taking a ****** on these cars
Check out the video of this car... http://jasonelcan.com Nuff said.
Old 10-16-03, 09:05 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i've seen the videos, but that doesnt really explain anything, its just pulling doughnuts, hard braking and skidding.. I've talked to bilions of mechanics who've work on lexus and only one said they have did a tranny job on the 1st LS, thats because somehow the tranny fluid drain out from an accident.

but back to the tranyn again, they have a computer as you that learns your driving habits right? within this computer it has a safety switch and if the computer detects that you are doing sometin wrong at the time, the car might turn off...

I know this for a fact, because one day with my car, I accidently reved my car to 400 rpm in Park, and then immediately popped it in Reverse, I know it was stupid, but I was pissed about something.. Anyways, the car turned off on me and I thought I killed the tranny

nope, it worked, so thats why I cant see the tranny being damaged from the videos

sure what he did in those stunts isnt the smartest thing to do with a 1991 because god knows what happens..
Old 10-16-03, 06:19 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It would be hard to judge the tranny thing. I saw the video and while that stunt was stupid and downright immature it, by itself, really wasn't that stressful on the transmission assuming of course that you haven't significantly increased horsepower and torque from factory specs *and* you don't have a history of abusing your transmission by overheating it thru, for exmaple, "power braking". In this video, once the tires broke the coefficient of friction (i.e. began spinning) the stress on the tranny would normally be less than if the car was normally accelerating down the road. Heat is the biggest enemy of automatic transmissions. (I used to overhaul them) And "power braking" is one way to destroy a transmission. You should never , ever do this unless the tranny has been built for racing by those who know what they're doing. I could've miss it but I didn't see any "power braking" in the video.

Anyway, I would look first to the parking brake as someone suggested earlier. But from there I would just have your Lexus dealer perform a full diagnostic on all drivetrain systems. There's just many possibilities with this car to "guess". It could be that your degreasing solvent seeped into what was a weatherproof wiring connector and shorted out some drivetrain circuit. As a result, your engine ECU could be operating in "limp home" mode which, depending on the algorithm it chose to execute, could have reduced performance. A full diagnostic would reveal this if this is what happened.
Old 10-16-03, 08:19 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LS430inTX
[B]It would be hard to judge the tranny thing. I saw the video and while that stunt was stupid and downright immature

HEY MAN, Don't hold back tell us what you really think about his driving!!
Old 10-16-03, 08:34 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

HEY MAN, Don't hold back tell us what you really think about his driving!!
What, I wasn't to the point enough? Blame it on middle age. The older I get the less I sugar coat things.
Old 10-16-03, 08:39 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it's my young age that gives me the "sugar" to drive like that. Immature or not, its still fun and pleasing!
Old 10-16-03, 09:00 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Ha! Ha! Good come back. Just promise when you do that you aren't endangering life or property.
Old 10-16-03, 09:23 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Promise!
Old 10-16-03, 09:47 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Jasoneo5
Maybe it's my young age that gives me the "sugar" to drive like that. Immature or not, its still fun and pleasing!
call it what you want, but it doesnt explain your problem now does it?

Quick Reply: Engine doesn't have the momentum it used to