LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help, in love with two...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 06:00 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, in love with two...

I asked this question to the GS430 guys and now I would like to hear from the LS430 group. It's almost decision time for me and I am genuinely torn between the GS430 and the LS430. I will be purchasing one early next year and I'm having a terrible time choosing. I have test driven both several times and have come to this conclusion. The GS430 is powerful, beautiful and fun to drive but the LS430 is elegant and sophisticated, yet it still have the power to soothe that sports car itch. Which should I choose?
Old 10-09-03, 06:05 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Go with the LS430 it gives a better ride it is quieter it is more technological advanced and you will not see a model change in 2 years as with the gs which is being changed but go for the ls430 youll love it and it will hold its value. MY .02 thanks
Old 10-09-03, 06:15 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a '98 GS and now own a '03 LS. Both are good cars. The GS is sporty and with time will not look as nice in comparison with new sporty models to include the next GS redesign. No way to avoid newer designs catching your interest.

When I decided to get another car, I chose to go with a LS this time because I hope to make this a long term purchase rather than trade in every 3 years like I did in the past. Even the original '90 LS still looks good to me but I think it is due to the conservative design.

If you plan on trading in about 3 years, go with the GS. If you plan to keep it as a long term car, the LS is the best decision.
Old 10-09-03, 06:29 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a family and you will be using this car ,go with the LS ( meaning people riding in backseat)
The GS is more sporty and most of the time you will not be racing so go with the LS........I think in the long run the LS is much easier to live with.
Old 10-09-03, 07:42 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

I just purchased a LX470 for my wife in July and we couldn't be more happy with that purchase. I would never race any vehicle that I own even though I'm in my mid thirty's. There's a very distinct feeling that I got when I test drove the LS versus the GS. If I had to describe it I would have to call it, serenity. Yet I must admit while driving the GS there was a rush of excitement that I didn't feel in the LS and I did tend to get on the acelerator a little more than I did while driving the LS.
Old 10-10-03, 05:19 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I TOTALLY don't get the GS. Too low, too small, too cramped, too large a centre console, too light for a RWD car. There is NO discussion....get the LS. Even the 14 year old 1990 LS cars still look great and "current". The LS is the best mass production passenger car ever built. If you can afford one, why would you even consider ANYTHING else?
Old 10-10-03, 12:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I feel the LS is a nicer choice, it says class and refinement. Originally I was out to buy a GS300 yet after some wheel time, I found the LS more appealing. Either is a nice car so it is tough as they each have a unique character.
Old 10-10-03, 01:44 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you know what each car has to offer so it depends on what you want. Luxury or Sport. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. If it was me I would go with the LS
Old 10-10-03, 03:00 PM
Eldon26
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Need help, in love with two...

Originally posted by ktiger
I asked this question to the GS430 guys and now I would like to hear from the LS430 group. It's almost decision time for me and I am genuinely torn between the GS430 and the LS430. I will be purchasing one early next year and I'm having a terrible time choosing. I have test driven both several times and have come to this conclusion. The GS430 is powerful, beautiful and fun to drive but the LS430 is elegant and sophisticated, yet it still have the power to soothe that sports car itch. Which should I choose?
I took delivery of a 2004 LS430 about a week ago. Without a doubt it is the finest car I have ever owned. In a lifetime of driving I've owned maybe 25 new vehilces. I traded a 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS, which up to that time was the finest I had owned. If you buy near term, be prepard to pay full list price. You might be able to talk your salesman out of a few minor goodies, tho.
Old 10-10-03, 11:49 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ktiger
Yet I must admit while driving the GS there was a rush of excitement that I didn't feel in the LS.
Wow that means you'll be driving a new GS next year.......... Until your wife makes you get the LS
Smart lady
Old 10-11-03, 07:20 AM
Murph
Pole Position

As you can see in my sig, I've had both (twice). If you like the sports sedan feel i.e corner carving and acceleration rush, go with the GS4. Once you do a few mods it's an awesome sports sedan but beware you can dump some serious bucks into mods and it's highly addictive. If you're going to do some highway crusing, as well as needing a low stress "punch out from reality cocoon" get the LS. It has some OK handling, and acceleration is decent. It is definitley a more comfortable vehicle. Both are wonderful automobiles.

Good luck with your choice.

Murph
Old 10-11-03, 08:41 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by {-.-}
Wow that means you'll be driving a new GS next year.......... Until your wife makes you get the LS
Smart lady

ahahah... good one
Old 10-14-03, 09:34 AM
zxlr8
Pole Position

The LS is a very nice with a quality of Serenity and Refinement not found in the GS. The Gs has it's niche though, as I WILL not ever grow up. I refuse. To make a long story short , I have had both and the LS is just too nice to pass up. I have had the LS for 5 years and I sold the GS for a Supra TT. I never plan on selling the LS.The 04 being the 1st year is really the ticket if you ask me. There is a website that has taken all the top made cars in 01 and the Ls came in as the winner. It was unbiased test by car mag and auto press editors. I wish I could remember the URL now, but I can't. This is old news but I feel really very relavent. Take a look at the resale values-incredible. The gs was fast and got looks but the Ls is the one I came home to every night if you know what I mean.....

Last edited by zxlr8; 10-14-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-14-03, 12:26 PM
99lsguy
Driver School Candidate

I have driven both.

The LS400 is hands down the winner!!!

Quiet, spacious, powerful

I got the LS

Old 10-14-03, 12:43 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

if u wont sporty kind with spoiler gs430
if u want luxury, features go with ls430

Quick Reply: Need help, in love with two...