LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'04 LS430 review from Detroit News

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 02:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '04 LS430 review from Detroit News

A more personal and subjective perspective it seems.

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsume...x.cfm?id=12072

Lexus flagship more masculine, aggressive

By Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

DETROIT --What comes to mind as I get behind the wheel of the face-lifted 2004 Lexus LS 430 luxury sedan is comedian Lily Tomlin, as her little-girl character, Edith Ann, who always seemed to be swallowed up by the chair she sat in during skits on the old "Laugh-In" TV show.

The wood-and-leather-wrapped steering wheel on the Lexus feels too wide, as does the seat -- although I secretly hope that reflects the running I did this summer, rather than a design quirk. The massive instrument panel looks intimidating.

But then the women I'm traveling with on a drive through downtown Detroit start squealing. They're discovering all the great passenger perks in this Japanese ride. They love the Lexus more than the driver does.

"I've found the soul of the car," shrieks one of them from the rear. "It's in the vibrating seat back here!"

Thus begins the challenge of critiquing this flagship sedan from Toyota Motor Co.p.'s luxury brand -- perceived in the past as a rather colorless, emotionless and maybe even too feminine product -- that butts heads with the likes of the uber-macho BMW 7-Series.

There is such a dichotomy in the Lexus between the male and female, the yin and the yang, the girlie and the gutsy.

This despite the fact that Lexus executives go to great lengths to pitch the new LS 430 as an automotive counterpart to the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," a reference to this summer's superhero movie starring Sean Connery.

The redesigned five-passenger LS 430 will debut on Sept. 25, when prices will also be announced.

For now, Lexus officials will say only that the 430's sticker will be "competitive." The 2003 model lists for $55,750, including destination.

Lexus officials say the sedan's mid-cycle makeover is more than cosmetic.

"We took a pretty aggressive approach, when you see the '03 against the '04," said Mike Wells, vice president of marketing for the Lexus Division of Toyota Motor Sales USA. "We have never had a mid-cycle change of this magnitude before."

A primary goal was to make the LS 430 more masculine and aggressive. Lexus hopes the redesign will draw even more men into the LS 430 fold. Currently about 65 percent of LS 430 buyers are older males -- between 50 and 55 -- and wealthy, making an average of $200,000-$225,000 a year.

On the surface, the automaker seems to achieve this through details like exposed dual exhausts, more dramatically sculpted headlights and the first-time availability of 18-inch wheels with low-profile tires.

Under the hood, Lexus officials point to the new performance-enhancing six-speed automatic transmission, which replaces a five-speed unit.

It is mated to the same 4.3-liter double overhead-cam V-8 engine, which makes 290 horsepower and 320 pounds-feet of torque, that powered the 2003 model.

With the help of the six-speed, the 430 now can accelerate from 0-to-60 in 5.9 seconds, compared to 6.3 seconds for the 2003 model. Expect to get about 18 miles per gallon in city driving and 25 mpg on the highway.

Still, if you treat yourself to all of the glorious options, the ride in the rear of the LS 430 is a woman's fantasy for an afternoon well-spent. The minute my female friends slid into the back seat they immediately scoff at the chest-beating by male scoffed Lexus officials.

What self-respecting macho vehicle offers two standard rear-seat vanity mirrors with terrific overhead illumination that diffuses the light and lends a soft-focus glow to your face? It even makes last year's lipstick look great.

When you opt for the Ultra Luxury Selection package, you get a sophisticated setup that will make you want to hire a chauffeur.

The two outboard rear passengers get cupholders, ashtrays and swiveling reading lights. There are manually operated rear-door sun shades -- even a cute little mini-shade for the quarter-vent window.

The center console opens up to reveal a set of buttons, one of which controls the massaging -- or vibrating -- seat.

The rear seats also have a climate control function, so you can heat up or cool down as needed. You also can adjust the two outboard seat backs and cushions with a power control -- a very thoughtful feature -- and the back of the console flips down to reveal a little mini cooler for drinks.

If Lexus was going for a more masculine look, the automaker might have messed up a bit by puckering the leather that trims the seat cushions and the door panels on the LS 430. That says "girlie" to me and gives the interior the look of a squishy Italian handbag.

From the driver's seat, however, there's not much for a woman to love. It simply feels too much like work. The steering wheel has too much play and the weighty, two-ton car is not easy to maneuver and park. A simple thing like turning down the fan requires punching buttons on the navigation screen.

The Lexus sedan will please the tech-obsessed, however.

The LS 430 is the first Lexus model equipped with the new Pre-Collision system. Similar to the Mercedes-Benz PreSafe system, the Lexus uses a radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car. If the system determines that a collision is unavoidable, it tightens the front seat belts with an electric motor and applies extra pressure once the brake pedal is touched.

The Pre-Collision system will be available beginning in January.

New for 2004 are standard knee air bags for the driver and front passenger, along with side air curtains and bigger side air bags. That's a cut above such products as the new ultra-upscale Volkswagen Phaeton sedan, which, surprisingly, won't have standard knee air bags until well after launch.

Another high-tech feature on the Lexus is standard adaptive front lighting that illuminates a turn as the driver steers into it. I first tested this on the new Lexus RX 330. It's a great safety feature that helps with night driving.

XM Satellite radio is another new option that features 100 music and talk radio stations. There's also a new tire-pressure monitor that can detect if a tire is significantly under-inflated and alert the driver. The climate control system is so smart that it can detect if sunlight is more concentrated on one side of the car and automatically deliver cooler air to that side.

There's an optional "smart key" that allows the driver to unlock and start the car simply by touching the door handle, if the key fob is in your pocket or purse. The optional navigation system now integrates Bluetooth wireless technology, which allows passengers to make hands-free phone calls through the syst***s touch-screen control panel. The navigation system also has a new rear backup camera that lets you see what's behind you as you back up.

The new LS 430 is an excellent choice for the type of man who is is intrigued by technology, yet loves tradition -- there's a good reason antique walnut wood trim is a new cabin finish.

But if he's the kind of guy who always has to be in control of the steering wheel, he'll never uncover the wonders of the 430's back seat.
Old 10-06-03, 08:04 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't hit me yet...

as I love my 2002 LS430 so much.

But some of these additions on the newest LS430 has been around on one car for long: MB S-class.
to mention: adjustable / reclinable rear seats, car "fridge", rear side window curtain, and vanity mirrors. It's nothing to rave about... MB has had them on the S-class since '94, at least.

Sorry, I am a convert from the "dark-side" so I know this stuffs... there are things, though, that sells me the Lex...
Old 10-07-03, 10:33 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I saw the '04 today at the dealer. Nice car but pretty much the same as the '03 at least at the base price level. I was worried that I would be sorry I got the '03 instead of the '04 but after seeing it, I am not at all sorry. To all but the most discriminating Lexophiles, it's the same car.
Old 10-07-03, 11:34 AM
gewe21
Lead Lap

just get a set of twenties and you'll be in a different league, no matter which one you have...
j/k
Old 10-07-03, 12:07 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

With all due respect, I don't get it on the monster wheels/tires. I want a conservative, luxury car. Not a high school "greaselightening" machine. Please...
Old 10-07-03, 01:02 PM
Brett
Rookie

Originally posted by daryll40
With all due respect, I don't get it on the monster wheels/tires. I want a conservative, luxury car. Not a high school "greaselightening" machine. Please...
Finally someone I can relate to.
Old 10-07-03, 01:07 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

With all due respect to the younger crowd on here, I am a 43 year old professional and wish to look the part. I can relate to you too, but not that the monster wheels and boomboxes, etc.
Old 10-07-03, 03:46 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Default I feel like defending myself...

zuppabling 20" and loud subs, now that's degrading (sorry pals)... but if you choose carefully, there are some wheel designs out there that don't scream "streetracer", but enhance the graceful look of the car, even if the wheels are monstrous 20"...
True that you'll loose something in comfort department, and you have to drive more zig-zag to avoid potholes... nothing's perfect.
... sorry Daryll, no offense, but age should not affect that. I know someone who's 47, also a professional, got an S500 in the garage yet prefer to drive a lowered Aristo (GS300) twin turbos with 19" RacingHart C5's, and I used to know several college guys who preferred an all-stock luxury sedan I think it's more of a personal preference.

Last edited by gewe21; 10-07-03 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 04:04 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

To each his own. I don't get it. I prefer the OEM look.

Daryll40
Old 10-07-03, 04:56 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Don't hit me yet...

Originally posted by gewe21
as I love my 2002 LS430 so much.

But some of these additions on the newest LS430 has been around on one car for long: MB S-class.
to mention: adjustable / reclinable rear seats, car "fridge", rear side window curtain, and vanity mirrors. It's nothing to rave about... MB has had them on the S-class since '94, at least.

Sorry, I am a convert from the "dark-side" so I know this stuffs... there are things, though, that sells me the Lex...
The MB S-Class still rules this segment of the market with authority. It is a class leader, and "the best researched and best developed car in the world bar none." Lexus is smooth, reliable, but a notch below S-class where innovation and prestige are concerned. I love my 92 LS400 though. The Gen 1 was and still is the best looking sedan to come out of Japan.
Old 10-07-03, 05:00 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I tend to agree on both points....Gen 1 is the best looking and that "S" Class is the king of the segment in terms of latest toys and size. But read Consumer Reports. Quality/reliability is a major problem for the Germans and of course Jaguar. And it KILLS resale value as the car approaches the end of the warranty period, because people are scared of big ticket repairs.

In the end, Lexus is does a great job of copying them, but better. Originality is great for art, but for cars, I'll take reliability over orginality any day....in fact I did ! My last car was a '99 S320.
Old 10-08-03, 12:08 AM
hatchback
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 LS430 > 2003 LS430

Originally posted by daryll40
I saw the '04 today at the dealer. Nice car but pretty much the same as the '03 at least at the base price level. I was worried that I would be sorry I got the '03 instead of the '04 but after seeing it, I am not at all sorry. To all but the most discriminating Lexophiles, it's the same car.
I respectfully disagree. I test drove the 2003 LS430 in August and did not like the way the 5AT responded to sudden changes in throttle. Last week I test drove the 2004 LS430 and the transmission response is noticably improved due to the additional gear. Also really liked the backup camera and the cooling seats, which are now available as low as the modern luxury package.
Old 10-08-03, 03:53 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I guess it's me, but I can't tell one transmission from the other. In fact, I traded in an '02 ES300 with the so-called transmission problem and I never noticed it, if, indeed, it really even existed at all.
Old 10-08-03, 07:34 AM
olliefont
Driver School Candidate

I am converting after driving German cars for my entire adult life. Mercedes and BMW have worn out their welcome in my garage. I continued to buy the Mercedes because of their great street cred for us business types. In the end I figure if my clients knew how poorly they were built and how often they were in the shop to be serviced they may actually question my judgement.
Old 10-08-03, 07:36 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Ollie, you won't be sorry.

Quick Reply: '04 LS430 review from Detroit News