LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My Lexus Dealer Experience - A word of warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 02:31 PM
350z
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Lexus Dealer Experience - A word of warning

I blew my Traction Actuator fuse while on a recent road trip. I was a little concerned as the TRAC/TRAC OFF/ and ABS indicator lights came on in the car. I popped the hood, and sure enough it was the Fusible Link that had blown. At the time I did not realize that the fuse actually ties into and controlls a few other systems which is why the other indicator lights came on. To be safe, I thought I should take it into Lexus to have it checked. On the way to the dealer I picked up the replacement fuse to be installed. The cost of the OEM fuse at the local parts store was $2.37. I was actually pretty excited because you usually can't find anything for these cars, but come on this was only a fuse. So I take the car in for service. At the parts counter I was told that the dealership could not use customer parts (even though this was an OEM part). Ok, no big deal right? Well after almost 2 hours they call me to let me know the car is ready. Are you ready for this??? The total to replace the fuse was $118.75. I was floored when I saw the Repair Order.

Fusible Link - $16.25
Labor - $97.50
Shop Supplies - $5.00

What a joke. I've replaced plenty of fuses before and it takes maybe 5 minutes tops. I guess the mechanic got his hands really dirty taking off the fuse cap or something so he used $5.00 worth of shop supplies to clean up.

Now this is where it gets really good. I'm now 100 miles down the road and the TRAC/TRAC OFF/ABS and CHECK ENGINE Light come on. OK so I'm really freaked at this point, not to mention super pissed off. I had no choice but to backtrack 100 miles to the dealer and see what the problem is. I wait about another hour as I am being assured that I am their top priority considering my situation. Turns out the mechanic must have knocked loose one of the sensors when replacing the fuse, which caused the lights to come on. (I'm guessing while he was wasting as much time as possible so he could line his pocket with a little more of my cash.)

I've had similar experiences with other Lexus dealers as well. They manufacture great cars, but it is sickening what they get away with at the mercy of the customer!
Old 10-04-03, 04:23 PM
RODDMOD
Rookie

We have to keep them in business, these cars rarely break. LOL I wonder why the fuse link blew??

90 bucks a hour with a hour miminium is what they charge around this area.
Old 10-04-03, 07:31 PM
350z
Driver

Default yeah it's a joke

Most of the time you can get a Toyota Dealer to do the work for half the price, or at least a significant discount. I've learned through experience to just do the work myself. It just take patience and the right tools.
Old 10-04-03, 08:01 PM
jmblimo
Pole Position

I just had to stop going to the Lexus dealer for service. They would come up with thousands of dollars worth of extra work my car "needed," and there was nothing else wrong with it. It's amazing what they can come up with running your car through the computer system. Mostly missed service intervals. It's not just the Lexus dealers that do this - they all do it. I had an Oldsmobile dealer want to charge me over $1000 to search for a Freon leak, saying I needed a new compressor, then they could look for the leak. They did charge me $80 for the diagnosis of a bad compressor which, by the way, was just fine. Just needed Freon like I said.

You better keep close check on your wallet at any dealership.
Old 10-04-03, 08:28 PM
350z
Driver

Default All car dealers can be scary

Most of them prey on the weak. I took my car to Scottsdale Lexus and they quoted me over $2200 to fix one of my air shocks. I found the same part and did the job myself for $300. I would avoid Lexus dealers at all costs period.
Old 10-04-03, 09:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally posted by jmblimo
Mostly missed service intervals. It's not just the Lexus dealers that do this - they all do it.
You better keep close check on your wallet at any dealership.
This happens.

One reason why they don't like customer supplied parts even if factory fresh is their warranty policy. (Phooey) When I blew one of my fuel pumps, the dealer I left the car at couldn't get the pump for 3 days. I stopped by my local Toyota place picked the pump up and delivered it to the other shop. They could only warrant the labor not part. However, the original Toyota would warrant the part so it was a wash.

The policy doesn't make sense...I think it is place to save their butt not yours. There are some dishonest folk out there and while you may be on the up, the next guy may be waiting to small claims them.
Old 10-05-03, 05:39 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say screw the dealer and their outrageous prices. I had my LS for almost 4 years, its never been in the Lexus service dept. There are many certified well-trained mechs out there that can give you quality service for more than half price off. I don't care what goes wrong with my car (God Forbid), I WILL NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER.
Old 10-06-03, 11:14 AM
ripe911
Pole Position

I needed new rear brake pads for my Gs400 and they gave me a rediculous price. So I went to a local tire repair place and he ordered OEM pads for $40 compared to the $85 Lexus wanted. Then he just slipped them inside the calipers like they were catridges. It took him less than 1/2 hr for both tires. I gave him $30 for the labor and that was it.

Just because you have a high end car does mean you have to pay high end prices.
Old 10-06-03, 11:56 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lexozz
I say screw the dealer and their outrageous prices. I had my LS for almost 4 years, its never been in the Lexus service dept. There are many certified well-trained mechs out there that can give you quality service for more than half price off. I don't care what goes wrong with my car (God Forbid), I WILL NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER.
Right On!
I never even considered taking my LS to a dealer. I once saw a repair history inside a 93 LS 400 that I drove from the auction for one of my friends. I wish I kept so I can quote from it. To make a long story short, the owner must have been a total dope, because there were bills there totaling about $25,000! One of the bills alone was for $8,000. Apparently the guy went to the dealer to diagnose minor problems that were exaggerated by the dealer to ridiculous proportions. Looking at those bills, it was clear that the dealer took advantage of the guy, big time.
Any way, my mechanic used to work for a dealer. He left because there was no money in it, but he says that mechanics at the dealership are no better or even worse than any decent local mechanic.
Old 10-06-03, 12:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

at the dealership are no better or even worse than any decent local mechanic.
This has been a big variable. Some dealers and private garages suck while others can have a good bay of technicians. Finding them is a challenge.

With the level of sophistication and electronics, smaller garages do not have the SST or pooter diagnostics a dealer will. That can make some of the sporadic problems challenging and hit-miss approaches can be costly.

For simple stuff: spark plugs, brakes, oil changes and like, an independent is probably better suited. Electronic gremlins, major internal engine work, I'll feel more confident in my local dealer. YMMV
Old 10-06-03, 01:20 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Rice

Any way, my mechanic used to work for a dealer. He left because there was no money in it, but he says that mechanics at the dealership are no better or even worse than any decent local mechanic.

I used to live in NY and I know a mechanic who worked for the dealer. Would be Mike?

Last edited by Lexozz; 10-06-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 01:32 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RA40
This has been a big variable. Some dealers and private garages suck while others can have a good bay of technicians. Finding them is a challenge.

With the level of sophistication and electronics, smaller garages do not have the SST or pooter diagnostics a dealer will. That can make some of the sporadic problems challenging and hit-miss approaches can be costly.

For simple stuff: spark plugs, brakes, oil changes and like, an independent is probably better suited. Electronic gremlins, major internal engine work, I'll feel more confident in my local dealer. YMMV
You have a very strong point! My suggestion if that ever happens and you need a diagnosis, pay the dealer to do that, make sure they give every detail on whats wrong and what parts need replacing, then take it to a well known certified shop and not a small garage. Get the job done for much less.