LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-14, 11:30 AM
Ingelsgard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys

I have a UCF21 that i use alot. and dont want to kill my comfort.. What lowering springs should i go with then? I dont need to lower it to mutch.. H&R? Tanabe? Tein?
Old 05-10-14, 06:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

The UCF 21 is one that is equipped with factory air. If it isn't already, those air struts will leak so changing them over to a spring coil system is the least costly. As for shocks, the Bilstein HD are pretty nice and a good combinations with those three springs. My suggestion for springs would be H&R followed by Tein.

Changing the ride height, you may find that the new position isn't liked by the strut bar bushings. Depending how may miles/km are on the car, I would suggest checking this because you'll be needing an alignment. Eliminating one other potential problem will save you $ and time from having to go back in and replacing them.
Old 05-12-14, 10:30 AM
Ingelsgard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to Club Lexus.

The UCF 21 is one that is equipped with factory air. If it isn't already, those air struts will leak so changing them over to a spring coil system is the least costly. As for shocks, the Bilstein HD are pretty nice and a good combinations with those three springs. My suggestion for springs would be H&R followed by Tein.

Changing the ride height, you may find that the new position isn't liked by the strut bar bushings. Depending how may miles/km are on the car, I would suggest checking this because you'll be needing an alignment. Eliminating one other potential problem will save you $ and time from having to go back in and replacing them.

Thank you =)

No sorry.. The only thing missing on my car is Air ride. It´s imported from Dubai and for some reason they think standard coils is more reliable. So thats what i have.
And now since aftermarket Air-ride is so expensive. I was thinking of starting with just coils/springs and then save up for air-ride.

Yes i understand that the OEM dampers wont like it, But on a 14+ year old car, When they are done, Then ill have to change them anyway soon.

From what i can understand i allready have some problem with the aligment becuse the OEM dampers dont like my big 20 inch rims.
I thought lowering the car would fix that.. But you say it can give me more problems?

But IF i should change my springs and keep as mutch comfort as possible.. Its H&R.. And not Tanabee (Seems very popular here)
Old 05-12-14, 05:44 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, the UCFx0 vs. x1 designation is dependent upon the country the car was built for.
The definitive way to determine it is to look at the VIN placard on the frame of the driver's-side (at least in North America) door.
If I remember, it is the second line from the bottom, but "fer shur" has the UCFxx number.
Old 05-19-14, 12:26 PM
Ingelsgard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gene01
Unfortunately, the UCFx0 vs. x1 designation is dependent upon the country the car was built for.
The definitive way to determine it is to look at the VIN placard on the frame of the driver's-side (at least in North America) door.
If I remember, it is the second line from the bottom, but "fer shur" has the UCFxx number.
Oh its a 21.. fur shur

Old 05-19-14, 09:14 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I could not open the picture, but it sounds like you have it correct. Thanks.
Old 10-22-14, 08:21 AM
BigIron5
Driver School Candidate

At 174k, I'm sure my struts and springs on my 1999 LS400 are due for replacement. I was thinking of going with Eibach or H&R springs with KYB or Bilstein shocks, but it looks like the Megan EZ Street coilover system is cheaper and offers more options.

My main issue is that I'm only looking for a 1"-1.5" drop. On the highest setting, how much do the EZ Streets lower the car?
Old 01-30-15, 10:01 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can I see a bigger side profile picture of H&R and Bilstein on higher perch? I asked this question on LS400 thread to be sent here. Before/after would be awesome. I am looking for 1-1.5" lower with no rubbing issues, smooth ride, slightly better handling when making high speed turns. Do not want to compromise on ride too much. If you dont think the combo above is the right one, please suggest. Have to spend some money on maintenance first, so cant afford a full coilover for now., besides the next coilover I am getting is for my fun car. Thanks.
Old 01-30-15, 12:19 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000revs
Can I see a bigger side profile picture of H&R and Bilstein on higher perch? I asked this question on LS400 thread to be sent here. Before/after would be awesome. I am looking for 1-1.5" lower with no rubbing issues, smooth ride, slightly better handling when making high speed turns. Do not want to compromise on ride too much. If you dont think the combo above is the right one, please suggest. Have to spend some money on maintenance first, so cant afford a full coilover for now., besides the next coilover I am getting is for my fun car. Thanks.
You have to go through the thread. I know it's a long thread but we all had to do it at one time or another. This way your not waiting around until someone who had that combo to post a pic.
Old 10-27-22, 08:44 PM
Zaks
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if there is a newer/updated spring thread but I'm curious... does anyone have measurements of exactly how much drop they got from H&R and Tanabe springs? If someone had both on their car that would be even better. I have Tanabe's currently and originally had them on the lower perch setting on Bilstein shocks. That was too low, rubbing both the wheel liner and also underbody rubbed on certain speed bumps, garages, etc. I raised the fronts to the top perch now just to see how it is, and rubbing is much better almost none, but kinda wish it was lower. From searching it seems the perch settings are 3/8" apart, so I'm curious if anyone has actual measurements (or even if there's an advertised drop etc) of the drop with either or both springs. Thanks!
Old 07-06-23, 05:59 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently bought two 00867367 - Bilstein B6 Performance Shock Absorbers. I was going to use the springs off of an LS400 that had lower miles than mine. But, a lot of people seem to think this is a bad idea since the job is not one worth repeating just for the springs.

I have hitch installed on my Lexus and regularly carry a lot of stuff. So, my rear is often sagging. Do you have suggestions on springs that will raise my rear a bit to compensate?

Also, I have read that I should replace the rubber spacer for the rear shocks. Is there anything else that I need to replace? I initially thought that I only needed the new shock absorber.
Old 07-06-23, 06:23 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 402 Likes on 311 Posts

The main components to replace are the shock absorber, the shock mount a.k.a rubber spacer, and the boot a.k.a insulator. And, if you're in the rust belt, the spring as well. Though if you're in a dry climate the spring can last hundreds of thousands of miles with ease. However, getting used springs won't mean they are in better condition than the ones that are on your car.

IIRC, there is a heavy duty suspension that was an option for the LS400, but I don't know much about it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-400-a-2.html

According to this post, the rear spring rate is unchanged. Beyond this I have no idea.

How much weight do you carry? More weight than 5 adults + luggage in the trunk would put onto the rear suspension? If you're hauling more weight than this around regularly, I'd start worrying about your transmission temperatures. And, the ability to safely drive the car as having a 2000lb trailer without trailer brakes can become... "interesting" quite rapidly.

This being said - adding weight will make any cars *** sag. Put two big guys in the rear and you're going to drop at least an inch in ride height back there. Are you hitting the bump stops on the rear suspension when going over bumps? Is it bottoming out?

Last edited by 400fanboy; 07-06-23 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tappy (07-08-23)
Old 07-11-23, 08:02 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, did not see that question at the end. Thank you for the reply. Yes, if 2 big men sit in the back seat, then I am 100% hitting the bump stop. It feels like the rear bottoms out. I think it even bottoms out with 100lbs in the trunk and 300lbs in the rear seat.
Old 07-11-23, 10:07 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 402 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tappy
Sorry, did not see that question at the end. Thank you for the reply. Yes, if 2 big men sit in the back seat, then I am 100% hitting the bump stop. It feels like the rear bottoms out. I think it even bottoms out with 100lbs in the trunk and 300lbs in the rear seat.
That is not normal behavior. I can have 5 people in the car + trunk full of luggage and still have significant rear suspension range in my car.

You may just need new rear springs\shocks.

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)