Notices
LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Are the tow hooks on 1998 LS400 attached to the frame?

 
Old 07-11-19, 05:39 AM
  #1  
marvin5881
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
marvin5881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 32
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are the tow hooks on 1998 LS400 attached to the frame?

The Lexus part numbers for the tow hooks are 51967-50030 and 51968-50020. I need to tow a car across an open field, would they be fine for this purpose?

Last edited by marvin5881; 07-11-19 at 06:30 AM.
marvin5881 is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 09:00 AM
  #2  
YODAONE
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 1,531
Received 150 Likes on 127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marvin5881 View Post
The Lexus part numbers for the tow hooks are 51967-50030 and 51968-50020. I need to tow a car across an open field, would they be fine for this purpose?
Front tow hooks are welded to chassis....very stout.

The bigger concern is chewing up the undercover and cracking paint on front bumper cover with cables.

Suggest you remove engine undercover and front bumper cover first.
YODAONE is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 09:13 AM
  #3  
YODAONE
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 1,531
Received 150 Likes on 127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marvin5881 View Post
The Lexus part numbers for the tow hooks are 51967-50030 and 51968-50020. I need to tow a car across an open field, would they be fine for this purpose?
Front tow hooks are welded to chassis....very stout.

The bigger concern is chewing up the undercover and cracking paint on front bumper cover with cables.

To avoid damage, consider removing plastic engine undercover and front bumper cover before dragging the car across a field.

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-11-19 at 09:16 AM.
YODAONE is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 10:00 AM
  #4  
marvin5881
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
marvin5881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 32
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Sorry I should've specified, are the rear tow hooks also welded to the chassis and would they be safe to use? They look bolted on.
marvin5881 is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 12:46 PM
  #5  
Kansas
Lexus Champion
 
Kansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,303
Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marvin5881 View Post
I need to tow a car across an open field
There has to be a good story behind this post. Are you going to tell us how this car got on the other side of an open field? Was alcohol involved? Were the words "Hey Y'all, watch this!" said?

When my friend Wayne literally puts his old cars "out to pasture", they stay there. I used to be able to see the cars in satellite images but trees have grown up around them and hide them from view.
Kansas is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 12:56 PM
  #6  
marvin5881
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
marvin5881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 32
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I have a friend named Evan who likes to get old, rear-wheel drive beaters and drift them on an acre or so of land that his dad owns. He has this particular area of the field covered with sand that he loves to drift on but it's right next to a huge ditch. He lost control of his crusty old '95 Ford Mustang and the front end went flying directly into the ditch. His rear wheels are stuck in the air and when the car nose-dived into the ditch I guess something with the radiator cracked and it leaked all its fluids out.

I would much rather use the rear tow hooks that come with my Lexus but I don't know if they're attached to the frame, I'm pretty sure they would be but I'd like to confirm this. Does anyone know?
marvin5881 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Kansas (07-11-19)
Old 07-11-19, 02:47 PM
  #7  
CELSI0R
Lead Lap
 
CELSI0R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 708
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Attached is an image of the rear tow hooks from a 1998-2000 LS 400. To use them, the "Don't use for Tie-Down" covers must be removed (use a flathead screwdriver with tape or a plastic tool to pry them off without scratching), if they are still present. Don't forget to put them back on afterwards to prevent damage to your vehicle in the event of a tow.

On UCF20/21 cars from 1995-2000, the front tow hooks are welded to the frame rails, while the rear tow hooks are bolted on. On earlier UCF10/11 1990-1994 models, both the front and rear tow hooks are bolted onto the frame.

Overall, I would prefer the front ones over the rear for strength, especially since Toyota does not recommend using the rear tow hooks for tie-down. Any attempt to tow your friend's vehicle is at your own risk.

In the owners manual, see page 207 for an illustration (the following link is for 1998 from Lexus Drivers Official Site):
https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...98U_edited.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Are the tow hooks on 1998 LS400 attached to the frame?-_57.jpg  

Last edited by CELSI0R; 07-11-19 at 02:53 PM.
CELSI0R is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 09:30 AM
  #8  
YODAONE
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 1,531
Received 150 Likes on 127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CELSI0R View Post
Attached is an image of the rear tow hooks from a 1998-2000 LS 400. To use them, the "Don't use for Tie-Down" covers must be removed (use a flathead screwdriver with tape or a plastic tool to pry them off without scratching), if they are still present. Don't forget to put them back on afterwards to prevent damage to your vehicle in the event of a tow.

On UCF20/21 cars from 1995-2000, the front tow hooks are welded to the frame rails, while the rear tow hooks are bolted on. On earlier UCF10/11 1990-1994 models, both the front and rear tow hooks are bolted onto the frame.

Overall, I would prefer the front ones over the rear for strength, especially since Toyota does not recommend using the rear tow hooks for tie-down. Any attempt to tow your friend's vehicle is at your own risk.

In the owners manual, see page 207 for an illustration (the following link is for 1998 from Lexus Drivers Official Site):
https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...98U_edited.pdf
Great image of rear tow hooks.

Anyone have part number for the plugs?
Thanks.

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-12-19 at 09:34 AM.
YODAONE is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 12:35 PM
  #9  
deanshark
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ct
Posts: 2,304
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marvin5881 View Post
I have a friend named Evan who likes to get old, rear-wheel drive beaters and drift them on an acre or so of land that his dad owns. He has this particular area of the field covered with sand that he loves to drift on but it's right next to a huge ditch. He lost control of his crusty old '95 Ford Mustang and the front end went flying directly into the ditch. His rear wheels are stuck in the air and when the car nose-dived into the ditch I guess something with the radiator cracked and it leaked all its fluids out.

I would much rather use the rear tow hooks that come with my Lexus but I don't know if they're attached to the frame, I'm pretty sure they would be but I'd like to confirm this. Does anyone know?
AAHHHH, to be young again.
I'm sure anyone who read your first post was thinking the Lexus was stuck and needed to be pulled. I've never seen the LS used as a tow/recovery vehicle before. But hey, if it works and ya don't screw it up, why not right? Have fun when you're young.
deanshark is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 11:14 PM
  #10  
CELSI0R
Lead Lap
 
CELSI0R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 708
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YODAONE View Post
Anyone have part number for the plugs?
I don't think I ever found a part number.

Go to a junkyard and check any 1st gen LS, SC, GS, or 2nd gen LS, GS. The covers were supposed to be installed upon delivery to the dealer, and get removed when a car is towed sometimes.

Note that the covers are very easy to damage with a screwdriver, but come right off if you pry them. Once you get one half off, you can just push the inner tabs and remove the other half, leaving it undamaged. There are two covers (halves) per rear tow hook
CELSI0R is offline  
Old 07-13-19, 07:38 AM
  #11  
valex
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 528
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by deanshark View Post
AAHHHH, to be young again.
I'm sure anyone who read your first post was thinking the Lexus was stuck and needed to be pulled. I've never seen the LS used as a tow/recovery vehicle before. But hey, if it works and ya don't screw it up, why not right? Have fun when you're young.
I had my wife tow my long and tall 2004 Sprinter van in our 99 ls few years ago when the Sprinter had a high pressure fuel pump problem and died on the highway. No issues, LS was pretty capable of the job!
valex is offline  
Old Today, 06:45 PM
  #12  
dlcoffin
Driver
 
dlcoffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 108
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

it seems to me that tying down, e.g. to a flatbed truck, would be a lot less dynamic stress than actually using them for towing. and towing is pretty stressful, innit? strange, that.
dlcoffin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are the tow hooks on 1998 LS400 attached to the frame?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: