LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ticking, low idle, and sometimes stalling

Old 06-18-19, 01:10 PM
PeterPaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking, low idle, and sometimes stalling

Hello everyone, I have a couple questions about how to go about diagnosing (or if you know of a fix) an issue I have with my newly purchased 1997 LS400. I recently bought this car about a month ago from a family friend for $1500 (a steal in my opinion) and I started noticing this ticking noise. I looked it up and forums all said the valves needed to be adjusted so I called the dealer up to schedule it and he said they normally don't do that. Coincidentally, the next day (this last Sunday) the car died on me while going through a parking lot and again yesterday (Monday) while trying to park. I also noticed it idles around 450 rpms but have heard it is supposed to idle around 650 or so. I tried listening to where the ticking is coming from and I have narrowed it down to the driver side in the engine bay. I recently stumbled across a post by a gentleman known as "raydleoni" about it being a fuel pump resistor. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks!
Old 06-18-19, 04:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Get any error codes read and go from there.
Old 06-18-19, 04:51 PM
PeterPaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, that's the other thing. No check engine light or anything.

Search this Thread