LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installation of double din in a 1992 Lexus ls400

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 11:54 PM
Gcuarino
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installation of double din in a 1992 Lexus ls400

Looking for information on how to install a eonon android double din. Threads videos pictures etc. There are a lot of wires. I have a installation kit with 2 wire harnesses. It looks like spaghetti. It's been a long time since I have done this. Should I just go to best buy and give them all the stuff? Is it easier than what I see? I have tools and desire. It's the standard unit without cd changer. I don't know if it has a amp for the subwoofer. Any thoughts? Thank you so very much.
Old 06-18-19, 08:54 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

First thing you'll need is that aftermarket bracket that goes around your stereo. Do you have one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BCSLGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BCSLGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then you will need to solder the wires to the new harness you have. If you bought the right one, for your car, then it should plug right in.
Usually stereos come with a nice little manual explaining what color wire does what, and usually those wire colors are standard, so you'd pretty much solder the orange wire coming out of the stereo to the orange wire in the aftermarket harness, and black to black and blue to blue etc. Pay attention to detail: for instance, if you have a backup camera with that stereo (or back-up camera input), you need to solder the 5v wire to that camera so that it starts as soon as you start the car, otherwise it will only start when you call it up from the menu. Also, there is a trick to override the "safety" of the stereo screen so you can't watch movies while driving or check your towing hook while driving and if memory serves me, it has something to do with connecting the brake wire to another one... don't remember any more which one.
It is not a terribly complex job, but it can be a bit time-consuming, especially if you have a setup like me which includes navigation, navigation antenna (which you want mounted under the dash, but ON TOP of the metal bar inside - there HAS to be a substantial piece of metal under the nav antenna otherwise it will be useless), and if you want to have a back-up camera, then you'll have to install it above your license plate and run the wire all the way through the car, and to the stereo. That part took me the longest (the tank is in the back seat rest, so you have to find a little gap where to push that wire through, and then under the floor or door sill plate and through the instrument panel. I had to use a long piece lof plastic wire-like tool to grab it on the other end of the instrument cluster... wouldn't want to do that again)
All in all, you can do it yourself if you are careful and have the time and patience. Read up also what others have said about installing that same stereo, usually there are tips that people post.

Last edited by peterls; 06-18-19 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-06-23, 01:17 PM
Rfierro223
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don’t get an aftermarket bracket, use the bracket from your oem stereo. Just have to re drill the holes to mount the new stereo to.