LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Couldn’t turn down the deal on this 92

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 05:10 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Another update:

replaced the ECU with a known good one and still, no spark!! Now I’m at a loss. There is no way (very very rare at least) that both igniters are bad.

I really wished I tested if this thing had spark before I did the timing belt!
Old 06-14-19, 05:49 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Tried this test:

For those unaware, this bypasses any inputs (the crank and cam sensors) and supplies 12v directly to the igniters. But still no spark on either side. I can't believe both coils/igniters would be bad so there has to be a short somewhere.

Last edited by Peacebay; 06-14-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 02:58 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

I will continue the monologue.

Today I tested if the coils and the igniters were getting full battery power with the ignition on. The test was positive — all 4 were indeed receiving 12 v with ignition switched on. So now I’m really leaning on the igniters/coils.
The following users liked this post:
KKOG (06-18-19)
Old 06-22-19, 03:36 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Update: found out that my coils and igniters DO work.. after studying the wiring diagram, I saw a B+ wire to the igniters.. hmmmmm.. so I turned the ignition on, bypassed the ecu, and BAM, spark! Ok so now I know it’s a problem with one of my inputs (crank or cam sensors)

Anyone know what this sensor is?? I’ve thought it was a blank sensor this whole time but when I looked closer I realized it’s actually broken off something..

CELSI0R (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 04:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not sure what it's for but on my 93 I thought the same thing when I did the T-belt. ( what the hell is this thing for? ) In http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html you can see it in step 13 and 20. It sits directly above the A/C. It needs to clip onto something there, it doesn't just flop around. I don't think it was connected to anything except wherever it was clipped on. Did you check the crankshaft sensor yet? Also, follow the crank sensor wire up and make sure it's not pinched behind the fan bracket. Mine was pinched in there but not enough to cut through it though. Luckily I spotted mine before I finished the job.
Old 06-22-19, 07:26 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

STurns out after consulting the wiring diagrams Lexus lists it as an “Ignition noise filter”. Also after a further look, the diagram has that sole wire grounded which I was sure to do.... Turns out that still won’t prevent it from starting. I know that because.....

I GOT IT TO START! After almost throwing in the towel I decided to check the resistance in ohms of my crankshaft position sensor and got a very high reading. Swapped it out with my buddy’s running ‘93 and bam! Started right up.

For future reference of those in the same position: if neither bank has spark, it’s very likely the ckps..

I know this seems like an easy fix for those reading but dealing with a completely unknown, almost 30 year old car with confirmed jumped timing this could have been anything. The reason I didn’t check this earlier is because the PO swore it ran before it jumped time, and Toyota crankshaft position sensors very rarely fail. I wasted entire days checking for continuity in the engine’s wiring harness before this!

Live and learn. Full day of detailing tomorrow. Stay tuned.
The following 3 users liked this post by Peacebay:
CELSI0R (06-22-19), Fit1too (06-25-19), spuds (06-23-19)
Old 06-22-19, 10:24 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
STurns out after consulting the wiring diagrams Lexus lists it as an “Ignition noise filter”. Also after a further look, the diagram has that sole wire grounded which I was sure to do.... ...
Glad you got it figured out.

That particular part is simply a capacitor to ground that is supposed to prevent the high voltage pulses from the ignition system from causing radio interference to your stereo. Not especially critical to anything. I was puzzled by that one too, I think when I change the fan bracket on my '91, and was barely able to get a part number off it, and google finally gave me that answer. I couldn't figure out how it could possibly be doing its job with just a single wire coming in, but it is.
Old 06-22-19, 11:11 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Glad you got it figured out.

That particular part is simply a capacitor to ground that is supposed to prevent the high voltage pulses from the ignition system from causing radio interference to your stereo. Not especially critical to anything. I was puzzled by that one too, I think when I change the fan bracket on my '91, and was barely able to get a part number off it, and google finally gave me that answer. I couldn't figure out how it could possibly be doing its job with just a single wire coming in, but it is.
I once have added additional capacitors in parallel with that part aiming to reduce the noise and catch weak radio signals and posted here 6 years ago. The original capacitor was 0.47uF/250V and those added were ceramic capacitors of 0.0022uF expecting the lower impedance at the HF range.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8015152
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
CELSI0R (06-23-19), spuds (06-23-19)
Old 06-23-19, 05:02 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I GOT IT TO START! After almost throwing in the towel I decided to check the resistance in ohms of my crankshaft position sensor and got a very high reading. Swapped it out with my buddy’s running ‘93 and bam! Started right up.

For future reference of those in the same position: if neither bank has spark, it’s very likely the ckps..

I know this seems like an easy fix for those reading but dealing with a completely unknown, almost 30 year old car with confirmed jumped timing this could have been anything.
Awesome that you got it to start. I know how it is when you're trying everything and nothing works, ya go nuts. Last week when I mentioned the crank sensor it was just a guess cuz back in the 90s I had an Oldsmobile with a bad crank sensor. I checked everything for a month. (spare time) I did "throw in the towel" on that one. I sold it for $200. The guy pushed it a couple houses away, changed the crank sensor, and drove it home. Next day I saw it for sale for $2500. ( )
Now that yours is running, did you take it for a drive yet? How does everything else feel, like steering and suspension?

Last edited by deanshark; 06-24-19 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Spelling.--one letter.
Peacebay (06-24-19)
Old 06-23-19, 06:39 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I would not have been able to to either. I don't know how to fix cars though so that could have been an issue. Good fortune with it.
Old 06-23-19, 08:18 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Awesome that you got it to start. I know how it is when you're trying everything and nothing works, ya go nuts. Last week when I mentioned the crank sensor it was just a guess cuz back in the 90s I had an Oldsmobile with a bad crank sensor. I checked everything for a month. (spare time) I did "throw in the towel" on that one. I sold it for $200. The guy pushed it a couple houses away, changed the crank sensor, and drove it home. Next day I saw it for sale for $2500. ( )
Now that tours is running, did you take it for a drive yet? How does everything else feel, like steering and suspension?
I feel very sorry for your trouble. In Latin there is a saying "scientia est potentia" in English "knowledge is power".

Long time ago, there were some Celsior owners who were having strange problems and one owner was quoted $2200 to fix those at a dealership. He asked me for a help and what I found was the failed capacitors in the ECU. He only needed to pay $8 to buy parts and was able to save $2192. It was just like "scientia est potentia". Later on he and I were thanked a lot by other Celsor owners.
Fit1too (06-25-19)
Old 06-24-19, 06:12 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Your guys’ insight is awesome.

Havent gotten to drive it yet because i ordered a good sensor online instead of getting price gouged for a cheap Autozone knockoff.

Been really busy lately with my job and my business but today I had a few hours to wash and clay bar the old girl. Overall I am amazed at the condition of this car. No clear coat failure anywhere except a small patch on each side mirror.

I still have yet to remove the wheels, clay bar them, and clean the wheel wells. I also haven’t been able to detail the interior just yet.

Look at the difference between the clay barred area (left) and untouched part!

Got dark, but little preview:

The following 3 users liked this post by Peacebay:
91LS400vgb (06-24-19), CELSI0R (06-24-19), Fit1too (06-25-19)
Old 06-25-19, 08:02 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Sexy indeed
Old 06-25-19, 08:28 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Looking very good. Can't wait to see how the rear door comes out!

I just noticed, your trunk has two screws on the bottom for the rear license plate. I'm pretty sure that's not original. Might as well check there for rust, and touch up the area with paint before puttng the plate back on.
Old 06-25-19, 09:44 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Your guys’ insight is awesome.

Havent gotten to drive it yet because i ordered a good sensor online instead of getting price gouged for a cheap Autozone knockoff.

today I had a few hours to wash and clay bar the old girl. Overall I am amazed at the condition of this car.
That Autozone price is outrageous, and it's not even in stock. They only have Dorman which is probably what I would go with anyway but it's less then half their price online.

That thing is gonna look nice once you put the time in and get it all cleaned up. Me?, I'd rather send it out and have someone else do it professionally. But there's something to be said about the feeling you get when you do the work yourself. (Pride and accomplishment) The exact feeling you got when it finally fired up for ya. Hope to see it on the road soon. I'll see ya driving, Ct. is a small state.

Quick Reply: Couldn’t turn down the deal on this 92