LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

the 95-97s. why they matter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 08:52 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default the 95-97s. why they matter

these days, all LS400s are old enough to have completely depreciated down to scrap value and are about the same price, so anyone really, can have a pick of any year at any trim level for a couple grand or even less, with a few exeptions like ones that have stupidly low miles, or (if you can find one) thats super fresh still, but those are getting rare now.

the LS400 game in some ways, is kind of played out aside from us that really love these cars. alot of the LS400 guys (looking back into these threads historically), moved on to the 430 and 460 as those are now getting pretty cheap depending on the year. for most of us driving an LS400, we searched for one and really wanted one. we didnt just choose it randomly or got it as a hand-me-down from mom and dad or grandma, as mom and dad upgraded 15 ago and grandma that had her old LS400 probably died 5 years ago,

the early ones, the UCF10 has a huge cult-like following for many reasons, and the 98-00 UCF20 are always wanted because more power, an extra gear, and slightly more modern tech and styling. however, the early UCF20s, the 95-97s dont seem to get the love the early and later models get. here, on these fourms there are plenty of 95-97 drivers that adore their cars and dont want any other version of the LS400, but there are just as many 95-97 drivers that really want a 98-00 and will dump the 95-97 for one the second they get the chance, and only reason they have a 95-97 is because they cant find a 98-00 as they made way less of them.

the 95-97s are kinda looked at as lame ducks to the masses. they dont have the sporty rear end with dual exposed exhaust and dont feel as sporty as the UCF10 in general. they lack the cool side profile of the ucf10 with the big wraparound rear window and dont have the nostalgic/retro vibe the 10s have either. yes, they are 2nd gen cars, but got the short end of the stick. they still have the old non-VVTi style 1uz, but with weaker rods. and its an interference engine even though it doesn't have the advanced features the later ones have. its stuck with the same old 4 speed tranny that was in the ucf10, its geared higher and doesn't cruise the highway at 85 at 1500rpm like the ucf10 either. it also lacks some of the wood trim the 98-00s have, along with the trip computer/info display, and looks pretty dated compared to the 98-00s. so yes, they really did get left behind, and today even more so as most folks dont care much for them and just drive them as a "good enough for now" pit-stop car between what they had and what they want. easiest way to spot this is in the junkyard. i see more completely clapped out 95-97s then any other generation, used, abused, and thrown away. i hear people bash the 95-97s all the time. comments like "who the hell would want a 95-97 when you can have.." and "i dont even waste my time with the 95-97s, when i get them i just part them out".

yeah, the 95-97s have it pretty rough, forever trapped in the middle between a Legend and a Hero. they are the underdog. they are the minority, they are the discriminated, and what they have done has kinda gone unnoticed for the most part before the million mile Lexus.
but with all the shortcomings and labels people put on the unloved middle child 95-97s, these cars are more accomplished then any other generation, and really dont deserve the disrespect and rhetoric they receive.

hell ill be the first to admit, my 95 experience was kind of an accident. in 2013 during my quest for the perfect LS400, i had my heart dead set on a 90 or 91 UCF10 and had absolutely no interest at all in a UCF20 unless it was a 98-00, which were still just out of reach for me at the time. unfortunately after months of looking for a good early ucf10, i figured id give the 95-97s a chance, and im glad i did, as its been the most reliable LS400 ive ever owned, and also has since became my favorite of the bunch.

the 95-97s are just as good and have more to offer then the 10s do, and even some things the 98-00s dont have.

1. Glass headlights. the 95-97s still have the old style glass headlights. no cataracts to have to worry about on these cars, ever. they also take normal cheap halogen bulbs that are easy to pop in and out and dont have DRLs you cant turn off (exeption with 97) like the 98-00s

2. Harder lines. the 95-97 has sharper edges and a more aggressive chisled front end then the UCF10s and 98-00s. the body lines of the 95-97s are just beautifully sculpted and these cars are drop dead gorgeous when paired with the right rims. most people say the 95-97s and 98-00s all look the same from the sides. well thats simply not true. they are slightly different. its very very faint, but the 95-97s are more angular then the 98-00s. especially in the hood and front end.

3. Rims. still going with the harder lines of the car, same goes for the rims. whats finny about the 95-97s though is that the regular factory alloys are some of the ugliest LS400 rims ever, but in chrome, they are the sleeker then the UCF10s "turbine" rims or the 98-00s "starfish" rims. people like them so much, that i see more 98-00s with factory chromes from 95-97s then of their own generation and i can see why! especially when the sun hits them and you can see the reflection of the chrome splashing sparkles along the pavement as you drive. they are just lovely and can totally change the look of a car. out of the 3 LS400s i have, other two being 98-00s, my 95 gets more compliments and offers then any other even though the car is in poor condition compared to the other two. the rims really do set these cars off that much, either in a positive, or very negative light. much like the controversial spindle grill these cars have today, theres no happy medium with the 95-97. it either looks awesome..... or like total crap.

4. The power antenna. the 95-97s have the newer body style, but still have the old silver motorized antenna in the back. some people absolutely hate it because it dates the car, but others absolutely love it! personally i think it enhances the cars appearance and makes it look more sophisticated, but also gives off a slight retro vibe, as most cars did away with exposed antennas ages ago

5. The interior. okay, so it lacks some of the wood trim the 98-00s have, but the wood they do have is deeper darker and richer then the 98-00s. okay so the wheel isnt wood, but it also isnt going to wash out and crack itself to hell, or burn the crap out of your hand on a hot summer day either. you wont have to worry about the fake wood plastic on the shifter crumbling and falling apart on the 95-97, due to it being leather wrapped instead, and just look at that center stack. its breathtaking. its glossy black instead of dark gray, which gives it a classier and richer look, i think at least, and the vacuum florescent display for the clock and temp is cooler then just another LCD readout. the air vents also sit a little lower which is better too! they arent basting you in the face like the 98-00s.

6. the sun visors and front top of headliner. the front part of the headliner is still vinyl/leather/whatever the hell it is and not cloth, giving it a richer higher quality feeling the earlier cars had and no ugly big airbag warning stickers. also as a side affect to this, the visors dont sink. they stay flush when retracted. why they ever changed this is a mystery to me.

7. Throttle. this car still has a mechanical throttle control and not drive-by-wire like the 98-00s. you can tweak the idle easier and theres one less thing to break.

8. tilt away steering wheel with an unsealed motor. this means when the wheel stops moving, you can actually make it work again without going through the nightmare of having to replace the entire motor. sure, the 98-00s are ultrasonic and are totally silent, but when they are done they are done. on a 95-97 simply take off the plastic cover on the steering column, pop a few screws off, and stick a zip-tie in the motor. bam! it works again!

the 95-97s are easier to service in general then the 98-00s. still plenty of straightforward stuff you can do on your own with them without alot of mechanical knowledge or experience

the 95-97s have accomplished quite a bit in their lives as well.

1st LS400 to reach 1,000,000 miles? - a 95-97

highest top speed ever recorded in a stock LS400? - a 95-97.

i can think of plenty of other reasons why the 95-97s are special, but ive proven my point. and honestly, the 95-97 may be the most interesting generation of the LS400, of them all.

Last edited by RA40; 05-16-19 at 02:14 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Stereorob:
Aisingioro (06-22-22), Amskeptic (12-19-19), Dinocards (11-05-19), dlcoffin (05-19-19), jaaa (11-06-19), KKOG (05-16-19), saleenssc (05-16-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-19, 11:34 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my 98. I truly enjoyed reading your post. THANKS
Old 05-16-19, 12:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Can appreciate all of them and your write-up states as I would as well.
Old 05-16-19, 04:36 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i was actually just browsing my photos hard drive yesterday and came across my old pics and was like: Awwwwww!!!!
Loved my '97 (except the power steering pump reservoir leak part)
i had her from around 2007 to 2010, traded for a pick up truck
i started looking for another LS last November and 400's were the first ones i looked at
came across my current 430 and just couldn't pass it up. if i hadn't bought the 430 i would probably be driving another 400 right now

i saw it on Craigslist a couple of years after i sold it. wheels trashed, one of the front fenders and door had a side swipe gash in it, primer on the part of that same gash, trash inside
RIP Lexi
Old 05-16-19, 05:00 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vredniykot
i was actually just browsing my photos hard drive yesterday and came across my old pics and was like: Awwwwww!!!!
Loved my '97 (except the power steering pump reservoir leak part)
i had her from around 2007 to 2010, traded for a pick up truck
i started looking for another LS last November and 400's were the first ones i looked at
came across my current 430 and just couldn't pass it up. if i hadn't bought the 430 i would probably be driving another 400 right now

i saw it on Craigslist a couple of years after i sold it. wheels trashed, one of the front fenders and door had a side swipe gash in it, primer on the part of that same gash, trash inside
RIP Lexi
That's sad!
Old 05-16-19, 05:52 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

great read! and can relate. I truly miss my 97 and fell in love with her during my ownership.
I was not entirely drawn towards 98-00 but only after living with the 97 did I want the extra little amenities the facelift offered.

for those that care, my entire LS400 story is here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-an-ls400.html

Old 05-16-19, 06:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

the 95-97 was important because it enabled the 98 to exist

in an old school kinda way, i do like the more squared off front of the 95, has a very no-nonsense look to it

that being said the extra light from the HIDs is very welcomed, providing the car hasn't always been parked in the sun and the plastic's gone to crap
Old 05-16-19, 07:32 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

I want the 10, for other reasons but if I found a screaming deal on a 95-97 id get it
Old 05-17-19, 06:25 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
I want the 10, for other reasons but if I found a screaming deal on a 95-97 id get it

i too was in search of a 10 when i got my 95. plenty around and cheap, but they were all totally trashed and clapped out. then i thought "hey why not give the 95-97s a chance" ! i never regretted it.
Old 05-17-19, 10:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Went from 93 to 95 to 98 currently, with a 99 and 2000 in between. My dad still has the 99 and won't give it up. It's that Antique Sterling Metallic color. I call it pink, but he doesn't.
My favorite is the 98 for sure and plan to put a bunch more miles on it. But the 93 is that sold me on Lexus. Went from an Avalon to Lexus and never looked back.
Mistakenly sold the 93 to a friend's kid so he could drive to high school and back.... yep, he totaled it. They each served their purpose and we can all enjoy whatever flavor we like.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Rob. Good read.
Old 05-17-19, 11:09 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Legender
Went from 93 to 95 to 98 currently, with a 99 and 2000 in between. My dad still has the 99 and won't give it up. It's that Antique Sterling Metallic color. I call it pink, but he doesn't.
My favorite is the 98 for sure and plan to put a bunch more miles on it. But the 93 is that sold me on Lexus. Went from an Avalon to Lexus and never looked back.
Mistakenly sold the 93 to a friend's kid so he could drive to high school and back.... yep, he totaled it. They each served their purpose and we can all enjoy whatever flavor we like.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Rob. Good read.
we all have a favorite year. what makes the 98 your favorite? options? ride quality? these cars are all old enough were they have to be judged on a case-by-case basis since no two are exactly alike. truth be told my 95 is a piece of crap compaired to my later ones, but its still my favorite for a number of reasons
Old 05-17-19, 11:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

Heck, I'm having more fun seeing the cars parked at Brookville Nursuries where two guys were arrested in 2013 for growing a lot of marijuana: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sted-1.6116370

Edit: Even funnier, the two guys were arraigned at a court in Hempstead, New York.

Last edited by Kansas; 05-17-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 12:45 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Heck, I'm having more fun seeing the cars parked at Brookville Nursuries where two guys were arrested in 2013 for growing a lot of marijuana: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sted-1.6116370

Edit: Even funnier, the two guys were arraigned at a court in Hempstead, New York.

Hempstead, heh heh heh

jeez who still calls the cops on people growing weed... but i've seen that white LS parked there seemingly whenever i've driven by so one day i figured i'd stop for a pic
Old 05-17-19, 02:08 PM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

Nar. This one all the way. 1993. Delivery mileage.

Old 05-22-19, 01:24 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting read. I have a 1995 I drive in the winter now and a 1998 I drive in the summer. So I can compare.
The 1998 has slightly better gasmileage. like 5% better.
It is clearly peppier . Really nice.
5 speed transmission is even smoother.
More modern instruments etc
No EGR valve nor the bad flex tube.
Less risk I have heard for power steering oil leaking onto the alternator.
Servicing seems pretty same same to me However changing sparkplugs , coils , wires , rotor etc on the 1995
Took many hours to my surprise. A huge amount of clips and clamps and fiddling with small screws you really should not drop.
The 1998 should be a breeze.
In my opinion the 1998 to 2000 LS400 is a really good choise.

Quick Reply: the 95-97s. why they matter