LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

i think i might need a new battery. please advise

Old 08-08-03, 11:05 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i might need a new battery. please advise

Hello all.

This morning I couldn't start my 98 LS for some reason. It was cranking (not slowly but just as usual) but the engine wouldn't fire. After a few min., I was able to start the engine. It happaned a few days ago and I thought the battery must be replaced (70000 miles on the clock and battery never replaced since purchased new). But the problem is it doesn't crank slowly (as when the battery is weak).

Any suggestions?? I want your opinions before I shell out the money to replace the battery. Something tells me it is not the battery problem.

Also, another question is .. would an aftermarket battery fit the battery compartment perfectlly?? Our cars seem to come with a battery cover that holds the battery in place. Anyone knows??

Thanks!!
Old 08-08-03, 12:16 PM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default I am not sure if I would blame the battery..

If you are not sure just go have the battery tested at Pep Boys/Auto Zone... I have a 98 with 88k on the odo and I just replaced my original battery two weeks ago. My car wasnt having any starting problems but they checked the bat while my car was in for service and said the voltage was very low. I replaced the stocker with an Optima Red Top. The Optima is not a (perfect fit).. its actually not as wide or as tall as the stock bat. My optima came with a spacer to place underneath. Without the spacer underneath you will have problems tightening the battery down. If it's not the battery you might have the plugs,starter, coil packs and the fuel system checked out. The starter shouldnt be going out that early . I had one replaced on a 93 LS that has 130k on it. If I remember correctly it was not cheap as I believe the starter is in a difficult spot to get to on the back side of the block. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Japanimal; 08-08-03 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-08-03, 12:35 PM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default Almost forgot

I didnt try to get the stock cover to fit the optima. I didnt really think it was neccesary. I dont see why it wouldnt fit though.
Old 08-08-03, 01:33 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

hey.. thanks for your input.

i made an appointment with my dealer so they can check out the car.

How much did you pay for your Optima battery? Wheren can I buy one? Never seen them at autozone or kragen in my area. Dealer is asking $110 for OEM battery.
Thanks again!
Old 08-08-03, 04:39 PM
Japanimal
Rookie

Default Batteries

You can pick up Optima's at Autozone or Pep Boys and a few other places carry them. Interstate has either aquired or licenced the batterys from Optima so you can find Optima red tops that are branded as Interstate batteries as well . I will try tmrw to see if I can get the stock case around the Optima. I paid $120 for the battery @ Autozone. That price does not include taxes and the State battery fee.

http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content...autosealed.asp

$110 for an OEM LEXUS batt is not bad...especially considering both our batteries lasted the better part of 5 years. Optima has a great reputation but any battery that lasts 5 years has my respect..that's a tough call. Hopefully it's just the bat and not something else. I'll get back to you on the stock case.
Old 08-09-03, 08:05 AM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

SEVEN YEARS ON THE ORIGINAL ONE, I BOUGHT OEM FOR #2. AT THE TIME I BOUGHT MINE, THERE WAS ANOTHER FELLA BUYING AN OEM BATTERY FOR HIS '96. HE BOUGHT ANOTHER MANUFACTURER'S TOP OF THE LINE MODEL A FEW MONTHS EARLIER, BUT ALL THE ELECTRONICS IN A STOCK LS KILLED THE OFF-BRAND BATTERY IN SHORT ORDER. THERE IS A REASON THEY SELL FOR $145 AT MY DEALERSHIP($20 PER YEAR)...THEY ARE WORTH IT!! SEVEN YEARS IS GOOD ENOUGH REASON FOR ME TO TRUST IT, AND I REALLY DON'T FEEL LIKE GETTING STUCK SOMEWHERE BECAUSE OF A DEAD BATTERY.
WHEN THE BATTERY WAS DYING, I HAD TO REMOVE THE LITTLE BUTTON COVER ON THE CONSOLE BY THE SHIFTER WITH A KEY TO ACCESS THE RECESSED BUTTON UNDERNEATH, OR THE CAR WOULD NOT COME OUT OF PARK.
PREMIUM RIDE = PREMIUM POWER REQUIREMENTS, TOO IMPORTANT A PART OF THIS ELECTRO MECHANICAL WONDER TO SHORT CHANGE YOUR MAIN SOURCE OF ENERGY,
Old 08-09-03, 09:21 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with interstate batteries.. they are hella good
Old 08-09-03, 10:15 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

I bought an exact fit at sam's club. around fifty dollars. There was one thing I had to do. After putting the new battry in I noticed it acting like the old one going dead in less than a week. I put the new battery on a trickle charge for a few days and everything has been fine ever since. It is important to have the battry inclosed in the way the original one was. The cover is to protect the battry to some degree from the awesome amount of heat under the hood, This is most likely do to the catalist being so far forward they heat up the engine compartment. Mercedes had this problem for a couple of years in some models. They did not make their cars last with this situation. Hoses electric components etc would fail much sooner than they should have.Lexus made sure their car would survive with all of that heat under the hood. Mercedes just moved the catalist further back in later models takeing some of the heat with that.