LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Windows wont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 12:46 PM
thebigdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Windows wont work

90 ls400 my power windows wont roll down. When using the master switch and individual window switches dont work. You can here a noise but no action. I had the battery out to replace the timing belt.
Ive looked on line to find the master switch reset procedure and have done all i could find to no avail. The moon roof is functional. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..TheBigDog
Old 04-20-19, 10:03 PM
basilpluss
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

My best bet would be to first check the fuses. For all, you know it could be something so small like a fuse. Did you happen to arch the battery when you were removing the connections?
Old 04-22-19, 06:07 AM
thebigdog
Driver School Candidate

Default Power windows wont work.

Did more research on my ls. When i hit the down button on each window you here a noise like its trying to move. You can feel yhe window shudder a little when you put you hand on the glass. Its almost as if the windows are stuck to the rubber trim. Is it possible that while the car set in the cold of winter and heat of summer while we repaired other parts that the windows all four them are just stuck to the weather stripping. And window molding. I really think it is just stuck.
If it is the how would i break it free i dont want to use a screw drive or putty knife. May someone could recommend a solvent that wont damage the trim and molding. Since all windows dare doing the same thing that it has be it. They worked before we parked her for maintance. And i dont believe all four went out at the same time. Oh yeah. We didnt arc the battery it was DOA. ANY AND HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED The Bigdog
Old 04-22-19, 09:46 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

I use this on all the rubber parts around here,and all the leather and vinyl furniture in the house.I take care to not get it on paint.Shop around for best price.

Amazon Amazon

Power Windows wont work-0srr17rm.jpg
Old 04-22-19, 10:03 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Put one hand against the glass on each side and gently pull downwards while someone presses the corresponding window switch. If that works, put something on the surrounding rubber. I've not used the product Spuds recommended, but have seen others use silicone spray. Whatever you use, keep it off the paint as he instructed (and the the glass as much as possible).
Old 04-23-19, 12:59 AM
thebigdog
Driver School Candidate

Default Windows wont roll down.

I headed your advice and purchased some quality silicone spay and silicone lube. I spray all the channels 3 or 4 times. And lubed up the regulator gears with the the lube and voila. We have 4 strong window regulators. Windows move up and down as if they were buttered. So thanks for everyones help, I greatly appreciate you all from taking time out of your to help. My wife the proud owner of her almost mint 90 ls400.
Old 04-24-19, 12:59 AM
thebigdog
Driver School Candidate

Cool Power windows wont work.

Im back. Tried the silicone lubriant thing didn't work thought for thats what it was. Suspecting the master window switch might be bad i opened her up. The centet window lift control had some black powder around the contact. I cleaned the points with a file. They looked fine but aparently this swich got ectremely hot at one point.

I reassembled the switch and reenstalled it. When i depress the button i get a clicking siund at the front door lock actuator. No movement of and door lock mechanisms. When i press the passenger front window i get a lottle movement in the window then the clicking noise in the door lock actuator area. When i tried the rear windows same thing just the clicking sound in the drivers door. I dont know if the switch is nuked or i have a short in it or what. The circuit breaker nevet pops . is the a power window relay somewhere i dont know of if there is could this be the culprit. Lost in Lexas Land. Once again all help would be greatly appreciated.

Also tried ressetting the power window master computor but the ones i could find said the windows have to be set half way down. I cant get to half way down. Thank you for your time THE BIG DOG