LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The 200,000 mile LS400 should I buy question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 01:50 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Other than financial considerations I'd look for a 430. Be the one putting miles on it. I just picked up a 430 and I can see myself in it for 8-10 years.
The next one may be a LS430 I drove both and the 2000 LS400 feels like a much faster car. This car was substantially cheaper than a LS430.
Old 04-25-19, 08:39 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Those seats look great and the headlights too! A can of Spot Shot will make those floor mats look like new as well: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spot-Shot...16-OZ/26814824
Thanks for the advice ended up getting the mats nice and clean ( for the most part).

Old 04-25-19, 03:35 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

looks great man! the only thing that i would be concerned about is the Alaska / Nebraska time. how long did it live in these places and do you know if they salt the roads there?
10 years ago you never saw a rusty LS400 on the road, as the bodies are coated in zinc before they are painted, basically rustproofing them, however everything gets old and deteriorates eventually and well, now you see them.

when i got my '95 6 years ago, it was absolutely babied its whole life and in pristine condition. clean inside outside and underneath without a speck of rust, anywhere. unfortunatley the car spent its first 10 years in New Jersey, a rust belt state.
2 years ago i started to see some tiny spots of rust in the undercarriage which has since developed into full blown cancer that im battling now. the entire exaust system rotted out and had to be replaced. had to replace all the front end and suspension bits as they were all rotted beyond belief. all of this popped up just in the last few years. i absolutely love my car so i continue to fight it instead of just getting another one. there was nothing visible before but its starting to get small rust bubbles around the windshield now, and its totally rotten behind the plastic body cladding. again, not visible but it is there and will be probably soon

i have 3 of them. my white 95 is the darling of my collection, but shes doomed.

moral of the story is simply stay away from rust belt cars. no matter how well kept, how much it was washed and cleaned, salt still gets into places that cant be reached, and it wll rot.

even though its been in florida the last almost 15 years away from the salt, the damage is done. if your car is not rusty now, it will be in the very near future. my advice is to enjoy it for a few years and keep a very close watch of the undercarriage. at the first site of cancer, drop it like a bad habit or prepare your anus for alot of very serious and costly repairs....
Old 04-25-19, 03:41 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Stereorob
looks great man! the only thing that i would be concerned about is the Alaska / Nebraska time. how long did it live in these places and do you know if they salt the roads there?
10 years ago you never saw a rusty LS400 on the road, as the bodies are coated in zinc before they are painted, basically rustproofing them, however everything gets old and deteriorates eventually and well, now you see them.

when i got my '95 6 years ago, it was absolutely babied its whole life and in pristine condition. clean inside outside and underneath without a speck of rust, anywhere. unfortunatley the car spent its first 10 years in New Jersey, a rust belt state.
2 years ago i started to see some tiny spots of rust in the undercarriage which has since developed into full blown cancer that im battling now. the entire exaust system rotted out and had to be replaced. had to replace all the front end and suspension bits as they were all rotted beyond belief. all of this popped up just in the last few years. i absolutely love my car so i continue to fight it instead of just getting another one. there was nothing visible before but its starting to get small rust bubbles around the windshield now, and its totally rotten behind the plastic body cladding. again, not visible but it is there and will be probably soon

i have 3 of them. my white 95 is the darling of my collection, but shes doomed.

moral of the story is simply stay away from rust belt cars. no matter how well kept, how much it was washed and cleaned, salt still gets into places that cant be reached, and it wll rot.

even though its been in florida the last almost 15 years away from the salt, the damage is done. if your car is not rusty now, it will be in the very near future. my advice is to enjoy it for a few years and keep a very close watch of the undercarriage. at the first site of cancer, drop it like a bad habit or prepare your anus for alot of very serious and costly repairs....
Thats a real bummer.. Rust sucks but they do not use salt in Alaska and surprisingly there is no rust. The good news Arizona is full of clean body cars with bad interiors.
Old 04-25-19, 04:00 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
Thats a real bummer.. Rust sucks but they do not use salt in Alaska and surprisingly there is no rust. The good news Arizona is full of clean body cars with bad interiors.

similar situation here in Florida only worse. you dont have the humidity to deal with. cars here have bodies that look sun scorched by an atomic flash if not garaged, and the interiors warp crack and get musty. clean LS400s are a very rare site here. hell LS400s in general are becoming rare on the roads these days.
Old 04-25-19, 05:00 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
California too
Old 04-26-19, 06:45 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

any warm sunny climate will nuke these cars cosmetically if not cared for. in the south its sun and moisture damage, in the north its rust. ive seen plenty of LS400s up north that had beautiful interiors but bodies riddled with cancer. thats the trade-off i guess.