Personal update: I now have 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Personal update: I now have 5

Old 03-12-19, 09:57 AM
JonnyO78
Driver

Default Personal update: I now have 5

So, I picked up another rescue. 1997 w/ 167k miles; Lexus shows it as a Coach model, but I can't find any branding. Needed cam seals and I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets and cleaning the throttle body while it's off. The only real issue for me is the peeling clear-coat and dent in the LH rear quarter. Mostly because I don't do body work or work with anyone who does. But hey, at least now I have a use for that UCF20 parts car I picked up accidentally!

The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyO78 For This Useful Post:
DaveGS4 (03-13-19)
Old 03-12-19, 10:21 AM
Sin1UZFE
Pole Position

Wow very nice, those are minor cosmetic issues.
Old 03-12-19, 11:52 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Champion

maybe it's just me but i feel like i almost never see a 95-97 in silver
Old 03-12-19, 11:55 AM
JonnyO78
Driver

Just hoping the cam seal fixes the major oil leak. Doing the valve covers just to be safe. It looked to be coming from the LH cam, but I just did my best visually; I didn't do any fancy dye testing or anything. I did do a block gas test and it passed that.

Otherwise, thanks! I'm really torn on keeping it! Because I have 3 runners and I don't need all of them, nor does my wife appreciate that this is where all our extra money has been going.
Old 03-12-19, 01:48 PM
CELSI0R
Lead Lap

Nice car. You might be able to get the damage out with PDR, and then just leave the scratch or make it a little less noticeable with a light compound and polish.

If you look closely at your seats, you'll notice the middle sections of each are perforated leather, while the outer sections are not. This is something I have only seen on Coach edition cars. The center arm rest in the front should have an embossed COACH logo on it too, if I recall correctly.
Old 03-12-19, 09:54 PM
JonnyO78
Driver

Originally Posted by CELSI0R View Post
Nice car. You might be able to get the damage out with PDR, and then just leave the scratch or make it a little less noticeable with a light compound and polish.
It's pretty deep. I doubt PDR will cover it. I'd like to have it hammered out by someone really skilled and then have the whole car blocked and resprayed to stock.

But I found the logos! This car has been heavily neglected. Time to get it cleaned up and back to glory. Here's more pics! This thing is soooo dirty!

Before and after cleaning up the oil leak.
Old 03-13-19, 05:11 AM
Legender
Lexus Champion

Looks like you found the oil culprit. Good work. Bet that cleans up nice when you're finished with it.
Old 03-13-19, 05:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

lmao i know the feeling. i find strays in my driveway way too much. ive had 6 different Ls400s in the last year. 3 in my driveway now
Old 03-14-19, 10:38 AM
JonnyO78
Driver

Nope. Still hemorrhaging oil from the front. My new crank seal will be here in the morning. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I'm pulling the oil pump to inspect the o-ring and reseal it. There's a lot of grey gasket seal on this. A lot of evidence of recent work. Hopefully I get it sorted, because I'm in love with this Coach beauty.
Old 03-15-19, 11:23 PM
JonnyO78
Driver

Crank seal is replaced and the leak is gone! Next I need to inspect and rebuild the ECU; TRAC light flashing, diagnostic tools not registering.Then I'll see about flushing out the rack and servicing the solenoid to get rid of the slip-stick in the steering. Then on to cosmetic restoration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: