LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 09:10 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years

Hi all,

many of you mods or even folks who started using CL when it was first created knows me as "cutecboy". i cant log in to that account because i forgot my email hence, created a new account with 0 post(yes im a newbie). for those of you who know me though, i drive a 1990 Lexus LS (heavily modified to compete in auto shows from 2000 to 2007 (practically was in every show in california, including SEMA. I left the country for work in 2008 and put the car in my parents garage and has not driven it since then (maybe it was started few times in 2009 and 2010 but never again after that). there was very little fuel in the car and it was on jack stands. to my surprise, even after 12 years after just putting in a new battery, i was able to crank over but the car wont start. i tried to add few gallons of gas in it but figure that was a mistake because i should of drained out the old fuel first. since the car wont start, i had to tow it from my parents house to my house where i will start looking into what i need to do to get it atleast back up and running again. i am not expecting it to run perfectly as i have like i said a heavily modified car including a VORTECH super charger and front mount intercooler with the stock V8 engine that has not been started for 12 years. my goal, however, is to atleast get it to start, so i can drive it around safe and sound without it dying on me on the road and from there do the proper maintenance i should do.

what i plan to do are pretty much in this order:
1. somehow figure out a way to drain and clean the fuel tank (flush out the hard fuel lines going all the way to to fuel rail). ***if someone knows how to do this and is in located in southern california please send me a private msg and we can work something out
2. replace the fuel filter and check fuel pump reply and fuse
2.5 put 5 gallons of gas, lucas fuel injection cleaner and try to start the car again (and if doesn't continue with rest)
3. replace the engine oil and filter
4. replace the spark plugs
5. replace the distributor rotor, cap and new spark plug wire set
5.5 try to start the car again ***
6. replace transmission flud
7. re bleed and replace the brake fluid
8. replace cabin and air filter

my thoughts is if i cant get the car to start and idle correctly pass step 5 something is wrong or i am just not doing something right. i really need some professional advise or help here guys. and if there is something else i am missing or needs to focus on here please do let me know. any feedback is greatly appreciated. i am just doing all this as hobby now and get the car i love to run again. hoping to break some necks again... ROFL... (that was a joke).

ill try to take some engine shots later because i have a lot of modification under the hood as well.

Old 03-11-19, 09:12 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

by the way, i am looking for a master lexus mechanic who can come and help me diagnose this issue. you will be compensated ofcourse but for now some good advice to start and getting my hands dirty will work.
Old 03-12-19, 05:39 AM
FozSolo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, just logging in to say love this car and plan on following this.
Good luck with getting it moving!
Old 03-12-19, 09:36 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a beauty. I wish I was a master mechanic, but I'm just a fool with tools. I'll try to give you a hand tho. Questions and comments:

1) Any error codes?
2) Have you inspected the ECU? Was it rebuilt before you garaged it?
3) Have you thoroughly inspected the engine bay and harness for possible dry rot or rodent damage?
4) Do you have the 12v feul pump mod? If not, did you try the fuel pump jumper trick in the diagnostic port?

I wouldn't bother going through flushing the fuel. Just add a good bit to overpower the old. Pull your plugs and inspect your ignition system and fuel pump.

You got a close up of that hood ornament? I'm working my own build and I want to do what you've already been doing. Hope to see you and this car at shows!
Old 03-12-19, 11:29 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Check and make sure no mice got to any wires
Old 03-12-19, 11:50 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i would never do this to my car but i guess i appreciate that someone has lol
Old 03-13-19, 03:34 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FozSolo
Ugh, just logging in to say love this car and plan on following this.
Good luck with getting it moving!
thanks and yes I hope so.
Old 03-13-19, 03:35 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i would never do this to my car but i guess i appreciate that someone has lol
everyone has to make their own choices. I am glad I made mine for you to appreciate LOL
Old 03-13-19, 03:36 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lextout
Check and make sure no mice got to any wires
no chews anywhere that I can see from under the car or engine bay. I will go through it again and check.
Old 03-13-19, 03:54 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
This is a beauty. I wish I was a master mechanic, but I'm just a fool with tools. I'll try to give you a hand tho. Questions and comments:

1) Any error codes?
2) Have you inspected the ECU? Was it rebuilt before you garaged it?
3) Have you thoroughly inspected the engine bay and harness for possible dry rot or rodent damage?
4) Do you have the 12v feul pump mod? If not, did you try the fuel pump jumper trick in the diagnostic port?

I wouldn't bother going through flushing the fuel. Just add a good bit to overpower the old. Pull your plugs and inspect your ignition system and fuel pump.

You got a close up of that hood ornament? I'm working my own build and I want to do what you've already been doing. Hope to see you and this car at shows!
First of all thank you. check engine light is not on during accessory power. Not sure if it will actually pop up if I get the car started (if i can even do that) I dont have the cables or or software to read error codes or check the ECU. ECU is stock and never messed with even with the vortech super charger install and Is original.

Some radiator hoses and cables have a lot of residue which I have to replace but nothing seems to be rotted out or has rodent damage. Engine trasmission oil is full and clean. Radiator fluid is full and brake fluid is also full and clean. Doesn't mean I wont eventually replace it anyway. It's been 12 years. Lol.

i dont have the 12v mod and never heard of it. I also dont know about the fuel pump jumper trick in the diagnostic port. I've been out of the game since changing my profession but maybe a link or two to these mod or tricks will get me started. I see that your in Oregon. Wish u where in southern California so we can tackle this monster together. Thanks for the tips and good looking out. If I dont get it fixed i might just have to get rid of it. Let's hope not and hope it's a small issue being overlooked
Old 03-13-19, 07:35 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

ok folks i took some photos of the engine bay (forewarning: its pretty dusty and dirty from sitting for 12 years under a car cover even) and attempted to siphon some old gas by taking the rear seat out. here is what i find after taking off the cover .. to find inside the tank completed crystalized including the lines and cover. though it still doesn't tell me if its the pump thats not working. all i am doing is taking the old fuel out (you can see from the 2nd and 3rd pic that the fuel down in the tank are reddish orange color). the fuel smelled pretty bad but color seems to a bit dark due to it sitting from so long and some rust i can imagine from inside of the tank. i need to really figure out if my fuel pump is working or not. another thought is i took out a lot of gas and the fact that my gas guage shows my tank is totally empty tells me either a sensor is bad or stuck somewhere in the tank. not sure if triggered by a rod or a sensor but someone can enlighten me on that. also is there a better way to drain the fuel completely from the bottom of the car? if so where is the hard fuel line located? driver or passenger side? please send pic or video if available. thank you!

where the vortech super charger sits.. battery relocated to the trunk.

Old 03-14-19, 08:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ank-ideas.html

Not great advice in that thread, but some
Old 03-14-19, 09:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

wow what a blast from the past, not that I am familiar with the car since I was messing with Hondas in the timeframe this was around socal.
I cannot recall it at all during my time in the "scene" since I too frequented shows during this era...oh those days!

my first instinct after looking at the tank is to clean it all up! these car do need good fuel delivery and the pumps do fail.
have you tried to spray starter fluid into the intake while cranking? if the car struggles to fire (moreso that just cranking) then you certainly have a fuel problem.
also check the relays and fuses for anything out of the ordinary.

what I also observe is that you possibly swapped the original engine with a celsior? the intake manifold with a Toyota badge is a give away (unless of course you just reused the intake mani).
this can open more questions such as how the swap was done, if the wiring for the S/C was done proper as well (super cool btw), etc.

speaking of the S/C what engine management did you use to compensate for the added boost (if any)? perhaps look there if something is being bypassed or miswired.

anywho glad to hear you still enthusiastic to get this back on the road, so hope this helps! I'm not a Toyota/lexus master tech but have been around the block with this heavy of modifications before.
Old 03-14-19, 09:22 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I love SoCal and will totally plan a trip to save this beautiful ride if necessary. It's also super cool you got your original handle back.

Reading error codes on an OBD1 is really easy. You stick a paperclip or other light gauge wire up in the port. It's under the dash on the driver's side. Use this page to check for codes. LexLS is probably the most helpful site for 90-94 LS info.

I don't know a whole lot about gasoline or fuel systems, but I'm gonna say you're definitely gonna be cleaning out and replacing a lot of it. I'm gonna send you a message.

EDIT: I can't message you because your inbox is full. Please message me; CL is picky about what is discussed in the posts.

Last edited by JonnyO78; 03-14-19 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 10:37 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts

Badass, Good luck on this!

Quick Reply: needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years