LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fresh Pads and Rotor, Squeaky Brakes. Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 09:26 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Fresh Pads and Rotor, Squeaky Brakes. Any Tips?

I was helping a friend install a new set of pads and rotors on his 98 LS400, I've done a lot of these over the years, and this is the first time I've had some bad squeaking. I used the same combo I've done in the past, Centric premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic pads. It seems to be squeaking when its cold, then goes away. Almost like the car needs a good firm "brake" to heat it up, then goes away. But the trip out of the driveway sounds bad.

Car stops great, it did have some bad warping and steering shake before the pad/rotor change, but now smooth as glass.

I was going to pull the pads off again and see if I missed anywhere with the caliper grease.

Anything I'm missing or typical problem areas? Thanks
Old 03-01-19, 09:45 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me really bad when cold and first stop. Buddy said he noticed glaze on the rotor....dont know what that means. He gonna sand them he said
Old 03-01-19, 11:49 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I was helping a friend install a new set of pads and rotors on his 98 LS400, I've done a lot of these over the years, and this is the first time I've had some bad squeaking. I used the same combo I've done in the past, Centric premium rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic pads. It seems to be squeaking when its cold, then goes away. Almost like the car needs a good firm "brake" to heat it up, then goes away. But the trip out of the driveway sounds bad.

Car stops great, it did have some bad warping and steering shake before the pad/rotor change, but now smooth as glass.

I was going to pull the pads off again and see if I missed anywhere with the caliper grease.

Anything I'm missing or typical problem areas? Thanks
I have used the Wagner thermo-quiets for years with no troubles on my cars. Then I tried them on a couple Lexus's that are in my family and I got the exact trouble you are having. Just change your pads to another brand. Ironically, I watch South Main Auto Repair on Utube and he emphatically will not put wagner thermo-quiets on his customers cars because he gets too many returns for squeaky brakes. So there you go.

Last edited by jaaa; 03-01-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 11:59 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

when i first put my akebono act665 ceramic pads in there would be a decently loud squeak sometimes when i was first rolling the car out of the driveway, and maybe one more squeak as i was pulling up to the end of the street but after that totally quiet

and yes they do seem to need a bit of heat in them before they really bite
Old 03-01-19, 01:34 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
I have used the Wagner thermo-quiets for years with no troubles on my cars. Then I tried them on a couple Lexus's that are in my family and I got the exact trouble you are having. Just change your pads to another brand. Ironically, I watch South Main Auto Repair on Utube and he emphatically will not put wagner thermo-quiets on his customers cars because he gets too many returns for squeaky brakes. So there you go.

That's interesting, I've used Wagner Thermoquiets on like 3 previous Lexus and they were always super quiet. I wonder if they changed the way they are made? I always liked them also because the wheels didn't get black with dust.

I might need to find a new "go to" brand.

thanks
Old 03-01-19, 01:36 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

That's interesting, I've used Wagner Thermoquiets on like 3 previous Lexus and they were always super quiet. I wonder if they changed the way they are made? I always liked them also because the wheels didn't get black with dust.

thanks
Just checked my account yup mine are also Wagner.
Old 03-01-19, 02:10 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
when i first put my akebono act665 ceramic pads in there would be a decently loud squeak sometimes when i was first rolling the car out of the driveway, and maybe one more squeak as i was pulling up to the end of the street but after that totally quiet

and yes they do seem to need a bit of heat in them before they really bite
Thats what happens to me, I figure theyd do this for a bit then go away...months later still doing it. So getting different brand would resolve this?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...356083&jsn=455 maybe those?
Old 03-01-19, 03:38 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

thanks
I have to wonder if they are sourcing out of China now.
Old 03-01-19, 04:14 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Thats what happens to me, I figure theyd do this for a bit then go away...months later still doing it. So getting different brand would resolve this?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...356083&jsn=455 maybe those?
i think the akebonos are very good and i'm happy with them, they hardly make any dust and they work very well once they've warmed up a bit... the occasional 1-2 second squeak when you first hit the brakes after just starting the car isn't something that would make me chose an entirely different pad
Old 03-01-19, 04:19 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i think the akebonos are very good and i'm happy with them, they hardly make any dust and they work very well once they've warmed up a bit... the occasional 1-2 second squeak when you first hit the brakes after just starting the car isn't something that would make me chose an entirely different pad
its not a squeak, its a loudass squeal until the car is stopped. Then its ok