ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Brakes and Rotors for Lexus LS400 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/911988-brakes-and-rotors-for-lexus-ls400.html)

Sherl 02-18-19 02:41 PM

Brakes and Rotors for Lexus LS400

Hey all
I found that R1 concept rotors for LS400 is much recommended. But most posts has been in past four years or so. Do they still make a decent rotors?
I am planning to get their geomat line. Its 200/set (f&r included) and for pads theirs is 60/set.
Should I get theirs or Akebono and OE rotors or any reco for a good combination? I am changing both front and rear axle.

OMAHA 02-18-19 10:04 PM

Heavy duty rotors and brakes

I put Akebono rotors and brakes on my rear wheels and I remember they looked heavy duty compared to other rotors and brakes..... that was four years ago, no issues, replaced the brakes last year.

Sherl 02-19-19 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by OMAHA (Post 10444293)
I put Akebono rotors and brakes on my rear wheels and I remember they looked heavy duty compared to other rotors and brakes..... that was four years ago, no issues, replaced the brakes last year.

Now does Akebono makes rotors for LS400? I see some set's but those are brembo blanks and Akebono pads.

timmy0tool 02-19-19 08:14 AM

I prefer brembo blanks myself but would take akebono as well if brembos not available.
R1 concepts is still decent as well. just don't get anything cross drilled (or even slotted) for the LS. it's way overkill and unnecessary.

why not just resurface the existing rotors and just get new pads? I'd understand if the rotors are original 231k miles!

Sherl 02-19-19 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by timmy0tool (Post 10444555)
I prefer brembo blanks myself but would take akebono as well if brembos not available.
R1 concepts is still decent as well. just don't get anything cross drilled (or even slotted) for the LS. it's way overkill and unnecessary.

why not just resurface the existing rotors and just get new pads? I'd understand if the rotors are original 231k miles!

I was considering the slotted. My brakeshop told me the rear is at 5mm or so, the rear blanks are original and the front was replaced 50k miles back by previous owner but warped now badly that it shakes while braking anything above 25mph.

python 02-19-19 01:13 PM

are u considering slotted for looks? is ur car modded or stock? if its stock,get blanks with akebono pads...made in america and the best pads out there.

timmy0tool 02-19-19 01:19 PM

rotors hardly ever warp. it's a common misconception at least on passenger cars not seeing track or extreme duties.
usually the pad material is just unevenly distributed onto the rotor surface causing the shake.
a resurface removes this uneven coating, and of course makes a flatter surface for the new pad material to bed.
it is important to bed the brakes when new as well!

save some money and resurface (if there is still some thickness remaining).

Sherl 02-19-19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by python (Post 10444836)
are u considering slotted for looks? is ur car modded or stock? if its stock,get blanks with akebono pads...made in america and the best pads out there.

No not at all. I read that slotted helps in brake dust and heat distribution.

Can you post the part number for Akebono blanks? Literally the internet is empty

Sherl 02-19-19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by timmy0tool (Post 10444843)
rotors hardly ever warp. it's a common misconception at least on passenger cars not seeing track or extreme duties.
usually the pad material is just unevenly distributed onto the rotor surface causing the shake.
a resurface removes this uneven coating, and of course makes a flatter surface for the new pad material to bed.

Don't know. But I went to Gerald's at Charleston. They had pretty great reviews and the labor was $160 for rotor and pas replacement. And $55 for inner tie rid replacement and $60 for alignment.

I don't know how long the stock blanks last but it appears that the front is in the second set of rotors at 43k Miles and the rear is stock at 231k miles. And was told rear has 5mm left.

Stroock639 02-19-19 01:56 PM

i use toyota rotors and akebono pads, and am quite happy with that

the rear rotors for my car happen to be the exact shared part number with the MK IV supra so i was even able to get those at a toyota dealership, fronts are lexus specific it seems though

python 02-19-19 02:10 PM

98 LS 400 front pads...act 665
rear pads... act 613

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...ue&indices=API

Sherl 02-19-19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by timmy0tool (Post 10444843)

Originally Posted by python (Post 10444905)
98 LS 400 front pads...act 665
rear pads... act 613

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...ue&indices=API

For the blanks?

python 02-20-19 06:56 AM

u want rotor numbers? which brand? sorry for the confusion

Sherl 02-20-19 07:12 AM

Someone posted Akebono makes blanks. So i was confused and was looking for 'em.

Sherl 02-20-19 08:16 AM

Can you tell me the toyota part numbers
I was seeing at these https://us.brembostore.com/product/r...rotor-08a03811 and was confused as Brembo listed as compatible but doesn't show the right LS400 part numbers