ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   Power steering pump (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/908991-power-steering-pump.html)

Sin1UZFE 01-15-19 12:24 AM

Power steering pump

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...70a25af939.png
which one to get?

spuds 01-16-19 04:34 PM

With remanufactured parts basically a China deal with ZERO quality control,Ive gone to new parts whenever its possible.At least everything is new,not just replace what looks bad.

Sin1UZFE 01-16-19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by spuds (Post 10411840)
With remanufactured parts basically a China deal with ZERO quality control,Ive gone to new parts whenever its possible.At least everything is new,not just replace what looks bad.

SO basically the bottom two?

spuds 01-16-19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE (Post 10411845)
SO basically the bottom two?

IMO FWIW,yes.Ive had some pretty good luck with new starters and alternators on other cars,very bad luck with remanufactured.Finally have left the reman market now.
Example,took 3 alternators to get a good one on Dodge,including the second that caught on fire.Actually redhot and smokin bad.That was my final rebuild part.

timmy0tool 01-17-19 10:25 AM

in my experience aftermarket remans are OE casings with new internals, but the new stuff is NOT from the OE supplier.
you can get factory remans from the dealer, which meets or exceeds OE requirements, but there is a price difference.
you have to decide and weigh what you want to spend.

being an OE snob, I would try to find a factory reman part first, but would probably settle for an all-new aftermarket (such as the bottom two) to save time.

Sin1UZFE 01-17-19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by timmy0tool (Post 10412536)
in my experience aftermarket remans are OE casings with new internals, but the new stuff is NOT from the OE supplier.
you can get factory remans from the dealer, which meets or exceeds OE requirements, but there is a price difference.
you have to decide and weigh what you want to spend.

being an OE snob, I would try to find a factory reman part first, but would probably settle for an all-new aftermarket (such as the bottom two) to save time.

where to find factory reman?

OMAHA 01-17-19 01:42 PM

Don't do it

I was in this dilemma a couple months ago! I implore you to use a original or rebuilt Lexus part. My toyota mechanic told me if i used a aftermarket power steering pump it would "whine" and i would regret it. I returned the aftermarket part ($170) and got a junkyard Lexus part with reservoir and pulley for $50. 90 day warranty. Runs great and handles great!

Sin1UZFE 01-17-19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by OMAHA (Post 10412758)
I was in this dilemma a couple months ago! I implore you to use a original or rebuilt Lexus part. My toyota mechanic told me if i used a aftermarket power steering pump it would "whine" and i would regret it. I returned the aftermarket part ($170) and got a junkyard Lexus part with reservoir and pulley for $50. 90 day warranty. Runs great and handles great!

Nice but isnt it hard to know if its oem if ya got it from junkyard? No junkyard has a 98-00 for 300 miles :(

lextout 01-17-19 01:50 PM

usually they have the toyota part number on it
if its original

Sin1UZFE 01-17-19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lextout (Post 10412767)
usually they have the toyota part number on it
if its original

Hmm there is a 97 in a yard 10 miles away....dont they have the same engine as the 99?

timmy0tool 01-17-19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE (Post 10412777)
Hmm there is a 97 in a yard 10 miles away....dont they have the same engine as the 99?

95-97 have a different engine than 98-00, but I believe the power steering pump is the same P/N 44320-50030 based on my searches on lexuspartsnow.
that website does not carry factory reman however.

bradland 01-17-19 03:52 PM

Pump is the same, the only difference is earlier models had the reservoir sitting directly on top of the pump. Not sure when they raised it and added a hose between the two...

Superfast1 01-17-19 08:01 PM

I have had good experiences w/ many re-manufactured car parts over 40 years of driving but not so much w/hen it comes to Lexus LS400's ps pumps. I've gone over 4 re-manufactured over the course of 5, 6 years. Some of them whined right after installed & the other didn't last for more than 2 years. I'm not a fan of installing used parts especially when the installation is time consuming & you don't really know the condition of a used one so you may end up running into the same problem down the road. Imo, if your car is in great shape & you're planning to keep it for a long time, cough up the money to buy a new OEM or buy a new one w/ a lifetime warranty. Good luck.

Sin1UZFE 01-17-19 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Superfast1 (Post 10413149)
I have had good experiences w/ many re-manufactured car parts over 40 years of driving but not so much w/hen it comes to Lexus LS400's ps pumps. I've gone over 4 re-manufactured over the course of 5, 6 years. Some of them whined right after installed & the other didn't last for more than 2 years. I'm not a fan of installing used parts especially when the installation is time consuming & you don't really know the condition of a used one so you may end up running into the same problem down the road. Imo, if your car is in great shape & you're planning to keep it for a long time, cough up the money to buy a new OEM or buy a new one w/ a lifetime warranty. Good luck.

Wher do I find ones with life time warranties?

Superfast1 01-17-19 08:12 PM

Many online stores i.e. Rockauto & local auto part stores i.e. Autozone, etc... carry life time warranty even on the re-manufactured pumps.