LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I got cheap tires lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 11:19 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
#justgettheMichelin's

Tires are the only thing keeping you on the road. I don't **** around with them personally.
The mich were about 1200 out the door.The Koreans werent as quiet,or sticky as the premium wheels.The mich definitely out performed in stickiness and high speed racing.Guess what? I wasnt slaloming or high speeding so who needed 1200 dollar tires? The Koreans wore like steel,the mich wore out quickly in relation.

Sure top of the line tires are fantastic,but the Koreans sure did what they needed to do,run you around safely at a fine price point. Then ive noticed,the price has gone up on the Koreans....people found out and up the price went.

For my winter capable tires on the jeep i pay for the BFG T/A tires.Think the last set was like 900 or so out the door?I need that performance on that snow and particularly ice road-ability.

Last edited by spuds; 01-11-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 11:31 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
The mich were about 1200 out the door.The Koreans werent as quiet,or sticky as the premium wheels.The mich definitely out performed in stickiness and high speed racing.Guess what? I wasnt slaloming or high speeding so who needed 1200 dollar tires? The Koreans wore like steel,the mich wore out quickly in relation.

Sure top of the line tires are fantastic,but the Koreans sure did what they needed to do,run you around safely at a fine price point. Then ive noticed,the price has gone up on the Koreans....people found out and up the price went.

For my winter capable tires on the jeep i pay for the BFG T/A tires.I need that performance on that snow and particularly ice road-ability.
Do you remember the Korean brand name?
Old 01-11-19, 11:35 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Do you remember the Korean brand name?
Im sorry,I dont and car was sold.Something I had never heard of that I got from the local tire place.I dont remember the price either.Maybe 60 each or something? I was very sceptical but guy assured me I would be happy,and I trust that shop so Korean it was.I will say this,for bargain tire i was awfully impressed.
Old 01-11-19, 12:47 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

For my winter capable tires on the jeep i pay for the BFG T/A tires.Think the last set was like 900 or so out the door?I need that performance on that snow and particularly ice road-ability.
I've been running BFG T/A tires on my 2003 santa fe since I bought it new. Not the very best, but it lasts a long time and the noise isn't too bad. I'd say it was a good all around tire.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (01-11-19)
Old 01-11-19, 01:00 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by jaaa
I've been running BFG T/A tires on my 2003 santa fe since I bought it new. Not the very best, but it lasts a long time and the noise isn't too bad. I'd say it was a good all around tire.
Agreed.The last stretch of road at my house is an uphill ice chute.They really grip well,and as you say,a good all around tire too.

Old 01-11-19, 01:41 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 402 Likes on 311 Posts

The mich definitely out performed in stickiness and high speed racing.Guess what? I wasnt slaloming or high speeding so who needed 1200 dollar tires?
Until someone pulls out infront of you, then you need as much grip as you possibly can get. I agree, we aren't doing performance driving in our everyday driving, that's not what the car is for. But if someone does something stupid on the road, I want to have that grip available.

And if you want the best icy-road performance, you gotta go to winter tires. The difference is astronomical. I'd rather have a 2WD car on winter tires than a 4WD car on all-seasons for braking power alone. It's a huge difference.

My Lexus was the first car I've ever had with summer\winter tires, and I'm now totally sold on having two sets.

Just my 2c
Old 01-11-19, 01:46 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Until someone pulls out infront of you, then you need as much grip as you possibly can get. I agree, we aren't doing performance driving in our everyday driving, that's not what the car is for. But if someone does something stupid on the road, I want to have that grip available.

And if you want the best icy-road performance, you gotta go to winter tires. The difference is astronomical. I'd rather have a 2WD car on winter tires than a 4WD car on all-seasons for braking power alone. It's a huge difference.

My Lexus was the first car I've ever had with summer\winter tires, and I'm now totally sold on having two sets.

Just my 2c
Not applicable in my situation
Old 01-11-19, 02:48 PM
spuds
Racer

Just my 2c
All a matter of what you personally need and money.If you pay 1200-1400 or more for tires,more power to you? I cant and dont any more,it doesnt fit this retired guys budget.Then again I can stay home in blizzards now too.I drive a 1959 VW transporter sometimes.ANY new tire exceeds its stopping ability(Same story with my Jeep).If i ever hit ANYONE Im dead.So I drive to the vehicles capability.

Do I really think you need high priced,bleeding edge quality tires to drive safely? Nope,I match my driving to vehicle and conditions.Ive survived drum brakes and bias ply tires.

Dont write off BFG in ice conditions,they are very very good.They arent all season tires by a long shot,they are Mud and Snow.Which allows you to run in R2 conditions in 4wd without chains.They are very good in mud.And average in sand.And just fine on the freeways.And they wear really well.

I dont drive 2wd in winter snow here without chains.My Baja bug I did winter drive but thats just an insanely great snow car with big tires.I ran that with big ole Goodyears in the back and fat soft Michelins in the front.Damn but that was a great handling go anywhere VW bug.

The Lexus,she isnt going anywhere when the conditions exceed rain.Not what she was made for.Even with chains i dont know if its coming up the road.My Jetta couldnt.Thats why I still have a Jeep.And at that Im not driving in ice or snow unless its an emergency.I dont have to now.

My neighbor with the newer 4wd Ford monster truck.Couldnt get up the road,was embarrassing watching him try.My Dodge 4x4 sailed up it like the road was dry.BFG are really good tires that can perform in many different scenarios quite well.Or at least as good as I need,to drive up an ice chute which is my extreme.

Last edited by spuds; 01-11-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 08:15 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

All a matter of what you personally need and money.If you pay 1200-1400 or more for tires,more power to you? I cant and dont any more,it doesnt fit this retired guys budget.Then again I can stay home in blizzards now too.I drive a 1959 VW transporter sometimes.ANY new tire exceeds its stopping ability(Same story with my Jeep).If i ever hit ANYONE Im dead.So I drive to the vehicles capability.

Do I really think you need high priced,bleeding edge quality tires to drive safely? Nope,I match my driving to vehicle and conditions.Ive survived drum brakes and bias ply tires.

Dont write off BFG in ice conditions,they are very very good.They arent all season tires by a long shot,they are Mud and Snow.Which allows you to run in R2 conditions in 4wd without chains.They are very good in mud.And average in sand.And just fine on the freeways.And they wear really well.

I dont drive 2wd in winter snow here without chains.My Baja bug I did winter drive but thats just an insanely great snow car with big tires.I ran that with big ole Goodyears in the back and fat soft Michelins in the front.Damn but that was a great handling go anywhere VW bug.

The Lexus,she isnt going anywhere when the conditions exceed rain.Not what she was made for.Even with chains i dont know if its coming up the road.My Jetta couldnt.Thats why I still have a Jeep.And at that Im not driving in ice or snow unless its an emergency.I dont have to now.

My neighbor with the newer 4wd Ford monster truck.Couldnt get up the road,was embarrassing watching him try.My Dodge 4x4 sailed up it like the road was dry.BFG are really good tires that can perform in many different scenarios quite well.Or at least as good as I need,to drive up an ice chute which is my extreme.
Im in central valley CA. Snow etc isn't an issue here just some rain.