LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Red toyota coolant vs aftermarket coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 10:27 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I have been in use of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink one) for my 98 Celsior since October 2015 switching from the Toyota red one recommended by a senior manager working for a local Toyota dealer as well as by local shop owners. They commonly mentioned,"You'd have some minor problem caused by the higher permeability compared with the red one but don't worry that happens among latest cars too".

As they informed me, the photo below was what actually happened in a year but other than that, I can't find any other problem so far.

After I cleaned that white-pinkish part, I don't see any more leakage lately. The height level of the super LLC at the reserve tank was almost unchanged for the past 3 years and I will keep watching the status for another 1 year. In Japan, it is supposed to change every 4 years. I used to change the red one every 2 years and it was a time consuming job for me. I think I can expect to reduce the time down to 1/2.

There appears leakage....

Perhaps upper radiator hose is original?

The other factor is the aftermarket hose clamp may be the issue..as .it is not constant tension clamp like OEM.

There are worm drive clamps that have constant pressure mechanisms...but $$$

Last edited by YODAONE; 11-05-18 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 07:00 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Buy a tester just to be sure, you don't want to risk it when the temps start to plummet.
https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-1.../dp/B000BOA9RY
Looks like I'm in good shape for winter. Says I can go as low as -30F

Old 11-08-18, 07:44 AM
Robnh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota Long Life RED.. 30.00 a gallon, 50/50 mix with distlled wawa.
Old 11-10-18, 02:23 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
You write that as if it should impress me. It doesn't. It's virtually meaningless. Now a side by side comparison in a controlled environment with differing coolants would. Subjective opinions by mechanics or anyone else without known variables on how coolants are used and maintained is really of no value. It's just an opinion.
The source information is relevant and am providing it for what purpose it serves.

I think Yamae is using the ultra-long life "pink" which appears to permeate through the plastic radiator and, or, seep through the hose connections more readily than the long life Toyota (Aisin) red coolant.

There is a fair amount of substandard replacement parts and product out there. (Take for example the water pump- pulleys - timing belt kit offered by Rock Auto...the timing belt is not the same quality as the timing belt purchased from Toyota or Lexus ...even though the manufacturer in Illinois swears up and down it is "coming off the same production line"....locate my post on topic)

Here, we have an aluminum engine and certain additives in other aftermarket coolant are not recommended.

While you appear dissatisfied what Lexus mechanics opine, then kindly locate and submit any information on topic to the contrary.

Meanwhile, what I seem to be finding is the aftermarket product, while less expensive...or advertised as the same as OEM quality, is not...

Happy trails to you.

Old 11-10-18, 06:07 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The source information is relevant and am providing it for what purpose it serves.

I think Yamae is using the ultra-long life "pink" which appears to permeate through the plastic radiator and, or, seep through the hose connections more readily than the long life Toyota (Aisin) red coolant.

There is a fair amount of substandard replacement parts and product out there. (Take for example the water pump- pulleys - timing belt kit offered by Rock Auto...the timing belt is not the same quality as the timing belt purchased from Toyota or Lexus ...even though the manufacturer in Illinois swears up and down it is "coming off the same production line"....locate my post on topic)

Here, we have an aluminum engine and certain additives in other aftermarket coolant are not recommended.

While you appear dissatisfied what Lexus mechanics opine, then kindly locate and submit any information on topic to the contrary.

Meanwhile, what I seem to be finding is the aftermarket product, while less expensive...or advertised as the same as OEM quality, is not...

Happy trails to you.
You're right that the source of the information is relevant. It's from a Toyota mechanic. A person who gets paid to use and promote Toyota products. If anything, that's a strike against his opinion. An independent mechanic would at least be able to state that his opinion might actually be independent. My whole point is that it's these sort of biased opinions that cloud the waters, they don't make them clearer. Someone might swear that the Airborne tablets they take are warding off the common cold; I'm a skeptic. I treat these sorts of fanboy comments about car related things the same way. My personal opinion is that Toyota red is no better than the green stuff you get at your auto parts store. I can't prove it, but then neither can your Toyota mechanic prove otherwise. Cars are pretty much made of the same stuff, and they aren't engineered around coolants and their additives. Which is why my LS400 owners manual says simply: Ethylene--glycol coolant. Not a word about the horrors that will befall me if I don't use Toyota red.

Last edited by aptoslexus; 11-10-18 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (11-10-18)
Old 11-10-18, 08:33 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Or you could just follow what the manual tells you to do.Do all the scheduled maintenance at a minimum with what they tell you to use and your car will get its maximum lifespan.This isnt Rocket Surgery.
Old 11-11-18, 07:04 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
You're right that the source of the information is relevant. It's from a Toyota mechanic. A person who gets paid to use and promote Toyota products. If anything, that's a strike against his opinion. An independent mechanic would at least be able to state that his opinion might actually be independent. My whole point is that it's these sort of biased opinions that cloud the waters, they don't make them clearer. Someone might swear that the Airborne tablets they take are warding off the common cold; I'm a skeptic. I treat these sorts of fanboy comments about car related things the same way. My personal opinion is that Toyota red is no better than the green stuff you get at your auto parts store. I can't prove it, but then neither can your Toyota mechanic prove otherwise. Cars are pretty much made of the same stuff, and they aren't engineered around coolants and their additives. Which is why my LS400 owners manual says simply: Ethylene--glycol coolant. Not a word about the horrors that will befall me if I don't use Toyota red.
I've always wondered why people automatically assume that in-house mechanics somehow know how their corporate products are better for their cars than other off the shelf products. To really know what the effects of different fluids would take years of testing.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (11-11-18)
Old 11-11-18, 10:46 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The premise of many is that the product contains the base ingredient and fits the general description of what is to be used. For enthusiasts and those of background on the finer points of the products the view will have more precise points in use. The manual is generally good though they may not specifically list a noted product. This is where we come into "compatible" levels and just how compatible is not always clear. That is one aspect to dealership service, they will use exactly what is supplied and recommended by Toyota. Independents have more latitude in what they can offer the customers to meet their price points of service. Unless I request to save $ they will use the red box Toyota/Lexus parts. For DIY'ers the range is huge and saving $ is a factor.

About the only non-Toyota in ours are vacuum lines, brake- Prestone synthetic, oil and differential fluid are Mobil 1.
Old 11-11-18, 12:45 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Or you could just follow what the manual tells you to do.Do all the scheduled maintenance at a minimum with what they tell you to use and your car will get its maximum lifespan.This isnt Rocket Surgery.
That's usually where I start too. Here's what Lexus said in the owner's manual for my '91. I also phoned the local Lexus dealer to confirm, he said to use Ethylene Glycol-based coolant, and that color does not matter.

I believe many times coolant selection is based on environmental reasons (especially in Europe). Making something that will stay liquid at low temps without corroding Iron and Aluminum engine components is not especially difficult to do. Many solutions exist, and I can believe they all work "well enough" (for me). One true concern though, is compatibility between different types - if switching from one to another, a full flush may be necessary.

I can believe that some coolants are better than others. But many things just don't matter to me, and this is one of them. I do change my coolant regularly, and it is convenient for me to use the same coolant on multiple vehicles in my fleet.

Have you ever talked to someone who, when doing an oil change, drains the oil and then pours in a brand new quart of oil, just to let it drain out through the system, taking out some (not all) of the last drops of old oil? Yes, people do that. And no, I don't need it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lexus coolant.pdf (339.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-11-18, 01:34 PM
spuds
Racer

Me? Im going to pay the minimal premium and use what Toyota uses.If I cant afford to maintain with red Toyota radiator fluid I cant afford this car.Now if someone wants to pee in the radiator and add battery acid to fill,I dont care either.

Cooling is one area where you can bomb your car if it fails.Save pennies,not in my book.

When you find a prime example of a maintained Lexus,you wont find shortcuts on the car at all.Thats why its prime.
Thats why I use OEM when I can,or use the same renamed product supplied to Toyota as OEM.I want a Lexus,not a cobbled together hoopty by someone who knows more than Toyota does. That the owner scrimped pennies on.If they did it on fluids,they cheaped out everywhere is a fair assumption.

As for the known failures on this car,of course the smart money is to use the better now known solution.Which isnt the case here.Red Toyota is NOT known as a failure point at all.In fact it seems to have an excellent reputation.Hence the sage advice....dont fix what isnt broken.
Old 11-12-18, 07:43 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Why does the Toyota Red coolant only last two years, 30k miles before its "exhausted"? If its an Ethylene Glycol coolant like any green coolant would be, shouldn't it last much longer?
Old 11-12-18, 11:45 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Why does the Toyota Red coolant only last two years, 30k miles before its "exhausted"? If its an Ethylene Glycol coolant like any green coolant would be, shouldn't it last much longer?
You would regret seriously, if you were not changing it in accordance with the recommendations. The ratio of ethylene glycol is not 100% but 89%. You need to judge knowing the rest of 11%. Chemicals used to prevent corrosions are consumed little by little as time goes on.

The attached document is all written in Japanese but figures can be understood by non Japanese speaking people. I'm trying to attach the English version of this, but so far I can't find it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LLC 08889-001.pdf (76.7 KB, 278 views)
Old 11-13-18, 06:22 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

people are mentioning using green? green coolant has silicates in it..do your research before u start spouting off about certain fluids being the same or not. im not a fan of toyota red..but i use it,and i flush my system every 2 years. keep your car maintained as mentioned previously..thats your best insurance for longevity
Old 11-13-18, 10:15 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Yamae
Chemicals used to prevent corrosions are consumed little by little as time goes on.
Is aging strictly a function of time?Or does mileage matter?

Old 11-13-18, 11:03 AM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Is aging strictly a function of time?Or does mileage matter?
Several things can factor in but heat is the silent killer. Heat will degrade everything from bearings to batteries to simple rubber and plastic parts. Coolant and other parts internal to the cooling system slowly degrade from the constant heat/cool cycling of everyday driving.

Father time is still undefeated though so don't count him out...!

Quick Reply: Red toyota coolant vs aftermarket coolant