LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 07:26 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Soooo....I thought I'd get slick and cut the transponder out of valet key and just mount that to immobilizer antenna,NOPE! T= transponder?Doesnt look anything like what was on the net,Im done hacking on my only key that starts the car,I will just mount whole key.

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-otvbonsl.jpg

Taped up the key with good 3M electrical tape,mounted key,check it works,zip tied key,check it works and have this...

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-qux2ubel.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 10-01-18 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 07:58 PM
spuds
Racer

Mount the trim.All fits well,keys work.Just glue on the dash trim piece and its done.

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-p973mpwm.jpg

1 and 2 I made into wallet keys.Dont cut off 'A' plastic part,there is NOT a metal piece under it contrary to what the internet shows.Maybe real lexus keys have it,I wound up with a straight shank and had to make a new piece,'B', with epoxy putty.

M Black is my original master,M Pink is a new master cut key.Neither master has transponder or remote functions,as before.

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-k0pidijl.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 10-01-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 08:07 PM
spuds
Racer

So to wrap it up I started with 1 valet key that started car and a master key that opened all locks but couldnt start car.

Now for about 40 dollars I have a valet key that cant get lost,and 2 wallet keys and 2 regular keys.All cut as masters so they open all locks.Edit-All 4 keys start the car.

The immobilizer/alarm system still functions and sets when the key is removed.

I still dont have remote door locks.

Last edited by spuds; 10-02-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 11:42 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You've tried a variety of work arounds, bummer. I've wondered how to get around this programming scenario where the valet key is the only functioning one but lacks that master ridge cut on the shank.
Old 10-02-18, 11:47 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by RA40
You've tried a variety of work arounds, bummer. I've wondered how to get around this programming scenario where the valet key is the only functioning one but lacks that master ridge cut on the shank.
Bummer?? Im confused,its working GREAT.I edited above post to clarify that.

About that ridge on the tip of the valet key.How about filling it in with solder,then take pics and have keys cut as the now 'Master' version?

As I understand,unsure on 97 though,but 98,99,2000 the valet key on bottom has a groove at tip that goes to end of key,while the master,top pic,is flat on the end,no groove.Again,somebody correct me if Im wrong.

Attachment 489744

Or do you mean how to get more keys to program with only a valet key? That issue is in the ecu (or in a 97 the immobilizer box apparently).It will read your transponder on the valet as say UE4769,and go into valet mode only.The master would have a different number,Like Ty3983 in ecu and go into master mode when that keys transponder is read.Having a ridge or not wont change the key codes in the ecu or key transponder.

All the lack of the ridge on the shank tip does is allow master to work the glovebox and trunk lock out lock inside car.Has nothing to do on whether ecu reads master or valet.

Bylans thread has a company that can read your ecu and make new keys programmed to work with whats stored in the ecu.Can they copy/program new valet keys with your valet key alone?Or master key for that matter? That I do not know.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-solution.html

Last edited by spuds; 10-02-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 12:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

My interpretation was that the door locks are not functioning from the remote? Then I mis-read.
Old 10-02-18, 12:17 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by RA40
My interpretation was that the door locks are not functioning from the remote? Then I mis-read.
That is correct.

I wasnt looking to restore remote function,I was looking to get more keys that would start the car so IF my only working key,the valet,got lost I wouldnt be dead in the water.With valet in dash it now getting lost isnt an issue.And I have 4 keys that will start the car.So chances of losing all 4 of those is nil.

MY master didnt start car nor did the remote EVER work.I still have to manually unlock the door as I did before.But all four new keys have master manual LOCK functionality,all start the car, none work the remote function.

If remote was really an issue there are aftermarket kits you can get that will work around the non functioning master remote and give you the remote function,as cheap as 40 dollars or so.You can even get them with remote starters that are supposed to work on our cars.Not enough of an issue for me to go for it,I dont like anything messing with actual wiring FOR MY sensibilities on a computer car,but thats just me.

BTW,having the wallet keys that will start car and open all locks,that is major cool!

All in all,major cool hack for 40 bucks!

Last edited by spuds; 10-02-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 01:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by spuds
OK,it takes one tiny phillips screwdriver to open case,jewellers or watchmaker tools I dont have.I used my smallest blade driver and got it out.Pry from key end to open and at some point it will snap apart. Module pops out.Remove battery cover and separate parts.Now the 3 button part has the chip in it,supposedly the button part just peels off to expose it,mines well glued shut.So I just left whole thing out and put key case back together.So ready to try again tomorrow.

===============================================================

Time to do finishing touches.I took the remote module and using a fine saw cut the module open along this line.Did this with battery cover and battery removed.I removed the transponder chip and put it back together.
Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-jtixufgl.jpg

Note the chip T on the right,that has to be removed so it doesnt interfere with the mounted valet keys' chip.Put module back in fob,no empty holes.I ordered a new module keypad about 5 dollars to glue into wife's key.
Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-exl3h1al.jpg

Valet key starts,master no,immobilizer hack maybe?-if60corm.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by spuds:
CELSI0R (10-03-18), Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 10-02-18, 08:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Got it! Glad this worked well, you have spares and it didn't beat the wallet up like it could have been. Nice work!
The following users liked this post:
spuds (10-02-18)
Old 04-18-19, 11:15 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What type of key do i have? Master or valet?

Hey spuds,

Is my key a master or valet? My car is a 95...my trunk open switch isnt working and im wondering if the tumbler by the gas and trunk switch is locked and i cant unlock because i may have the valet only? My key has the groove down the center of key.

Thanks
Old 04-18-19, 11:41 PM
spuds
Racer

Is my key a master or valet? My car is a 95...my trunk open switch isnt working and im wondering if the tumbler by the gas and trunk switch is locked and i cant unlock because i may have the valet only? My key has the groove down the center of key.
=============================

Look closely at post 35.If the center ridge goes all the way to bottom of key,its a valet.That key wont work for the switch key spot that opens trunk from inside on dash.I'd say your key is a valet if that lock wont turn.BUT,Im not a guru,and I could be wrong,mines a 1998.Lets hope someone who knows for sure chimes in,I just dont know for sure if your 95 is the same.

You could fill in the bottom of key so that groove is covered on tip,or photoshop it to fill that in for the pictures you send to the key guy or even just email note that you want your valet key cut on a master blank,not a valet blank.Just make sure its clearly understood and he verifies a master will be cut.

Last edited by spuds; 04-18-19 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 08:05 AM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
=============================

Look closely at post 35.If the center ridge goes all the way to bottom of key,its a valet.That key wont work for the switch key spot that opens trunk from inside on dash.I'd say your key is a valet if that lock wont turn.BUT,Im not a guru,and I could be wrong,mines a 1998.Lets hope someone who knows for sure chimes in,I just dont know for sure if your 95 is the same.

You could fill in the bottom of key so that groove is covered on tip,or photoshop it to fill that in for the pictures you send to the key guy or even just email note that you want your valet key cut on a master blank,not a valet blank.Just make sure its clearly understood and he verifies a master will be cut.
Cool thanks again spuds. Ill get it done and share the results.