LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Faint whine when accelerating on 98 LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 11:18 PM
WaveRunner
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Faint whine when accelerating on 98 LS

I notice yesterday a faint whine almost like a low pressure turbo or supercharger from the front of my 98 LS400 with 143k miles when I accelerate. The car performs normally with no impact on performance. The AC is off. Anyone experience this? I have researched on this site and it seems like it could be a number of things including pulleys, cracked hoses, water pump (mine was changed 30k miles ago), transmission needing fluid replacement, among other things. I don't think it is a big deal unless it impacts something like mpg.
Old 09-16-18, 11:00 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Mine has it too wonder what it is. Gonna get the tranny flushed next weekend see if it was that.

Everything in your opinion was changed out recently. The runnin and water pump was fine 40k ago. Only thing left is the tranny fluid.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-17-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 12:18 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Also on mine, the nose is only happening when moving forward. Nothing on idle when revving.
Old 09-17-18, 01:21 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't want to alarm anyone, but a year ago right before my transmission started puking oil- I began to hear a howling high pitched sound. Shortly thereafter my transmission starting losing oil out of the bell housing.
Old 09-17-18, 01:27 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by jaaa
Don't want to alarm anyone, but a year ago right before my transmission started puking oil- I began to hear a howling high pitched sound. Shortly thereafter my transmission starting losing oil out of the bell housing.
Old 09-17-18, 07:42 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by WaveRunner
I notice yesterday a faint whine almost like a low pressure turbo or supercharger from the front of my 98 LS400 with 143k miles when I accelerate. The car performs normally with no impact on performance. The AC is off. Anyone experience this? I have researched on this site and it seems like it could be a number of things including pulleys, cracked hoses, water pump (mine was changed 30k miles ago), transmission needing fluid replacement, among other things. I don't think it is a big deal unless it impacts something like mpg.
Driveshaft center bearing?
Old 09-17-18, 09:01 PM
WaveRunner
Driver

And what did you do to remedy the situation and for what model year/mileage? It is weird cause I don't really hear it anymore but I'm not sure if it is intermittent. I just got my oil changed and tires rotated at a Lexus dealer cause I had a coupon. The front wheel weights chafed the brake calipers causing this strange rotating sound which is not what was discussed in my original post. Had them sand it down. While looking over the suspension I was informed the right rear height sensor was torn/broken. Apparently it is for the HID headlamp auto leveler. They recommend changing the control arm it is attached to for ... wait for it ... $1698! Are they out of their minds? When the service advisor told me I just smiled at him and he knew damn right was I was thinking.

Last edited by WaveRunner; 09-17-18 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 09:14 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by WaveRunner
And what did you do to remedy the situation and for what model year/mileage? It is weird cause I don't really hear it anymore but I'm not sure if it is intermittent. I just got my oil changed and tires rotated at a Lexus dealer cause I had a coupon. The front wheel weights chafed the brake calipers causing this strange rotating sound which is not what was discussed in my original post. Had them sand it down. While looking over the suspension I was informed the rear height sensor was torn/broken. Apparently it is for the HID headlamp auto leveler. They recommend changing the control arm it is attached to for ... wait for it ... $1698! Are they out of their minds? When the service advisor told me I just smiled at him and he knew damn right was I was thinking.
The remedy was a new transmission from a 1995 LS. For me it was a very strange sound- like air was being forced through a small opening. I had a 1996 LS that at that time was at 230k miles. More than likely you have some other problem. $1700 for a control arm sounds crazy.
Old 09-17-18, 10:59 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Driveshaft center bearing?
Would that cause the same noise when reversing?
Old 09-17-18, 11:10 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

The remedy was a new transmission from a 1995 LS. For me it was a very strange sound- like air was being forced through a small opening. I had a 1996 LS that at that time was at 230k miles. More than likely you have some other problem. $1700 for a control arm sounds crazy.

I'm hoping that just flushing the fluid will be rid of it. As we changed all hoses and checked the pulleys ( changed tensioner as it was broken and locked in place)
Old 09-18-18, 01:18 AM
WaveRunner
Driver

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
I'm hoping that just flushing the fluid will be rid of it. As we changed all hoses and checked the pulleys ( changed tensioner as it was broken and locked in place)
I hear so many different things about servicing the transmission. Some say don't flush. Others say just swap the fluid. Others say don't touch it period. I do notice mine occasionally has a less than smooth downshift when decelerating. It is weird cause I also have a Saab which has a Japanese-built 5-speed AISIN auto transmission (The LS has an AISIN transmission as well, the company is partly owned by Toyota) and it does the same thing every now and then. Saab service recommends you drain and refill (not flush) the fluid every 60k miles. On my LS, I'm just jumping the gun assuming the slight rough downshift means it needs new fluid or god forbid it is in early stages of slipping but I think that's just the way they are designed especially when you cruise then hit a patch of traffic or stop sign/light.

Last edited by WaveRunner; 09-18-18 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 06:31 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Lots of stories here that removing 2 qts tranny fluid every 15,000 miles or so is a great service for these cars with excellent results.Use ONLY Toyota's Type IV or Mobil 3309,no to Maxlife,no to additives.This tranny wants only what Lexus says to use,the 2 I mentioned.Mobil makes the Toyota fluid.

That seems to be the advice given on this board.

Last edited by spuds; 09-18-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 07:11 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

I figure To do it since I don't know the maintenance records for it except the timing belt, seals and water pump. Also, I can't find the tranny dipstick to check. A 99
Old 09-18-18, 07:16 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
I figure To do it since I don't know the maintenance records for it except the timing belt, seals and water pump. Also, I can't find the tranny dipstick to check. A 99
Get your records here for free

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
Old 09-18-18, 07:40 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by spuds
Get your records here for free

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
I already tried it. Records end in 05.

Quick Reply: Faint whine when accelerating on 98 LS