LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 LS400 Repair Estimates for Valve Cover Gaskets and Timing Belt Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 01:14 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1999 LS400 Repair Estimates for Valve Cover Gaskets and Timing Belt Kit

Hi Guys,

I bought a 1999 LS400 about a month ago and it is in the shop right now for its, "drive it until I die," maintenance.

I just wanted to post this thread to let people know what to consider when purchasing a 1999 LS400 with close to 200k miles. My current bill is close to $3,000 + taxes. Do you think this is a crazy amount? I kind of do, but don't have much of a choice as I live in an apartment that doesn't allow for repairs nor is it ideal to do repairs in a parking lot nor am I even remotely capable of doing such a job myself.

Timing Belt Job:
Timing belt
accessory drive belt
Idler pulley
Automatic tensionerWater pump
Front camshaft seals
Front crankshaft seals
Timing Sensor
Thermostat and gasket
Coolant (Be sure to use Toyota Red Coolant)

Valve Cover Gaskets:
Valve cover gaskets
spark plugs
spark plugs and tube seals
PCV Valve + Grommeta
Vacuum Hoses (good idea to inspect them)

Other:
Power steering pump (this is good to replace when replacing the timing belt because it is easily accessible)
Mass air flow sensor (My LS400 has been idling funny and this might be a good thing to check out or replace. )
Idle air control (same reason as above)

Further Notes:
It is a good idea to change the upstream O2 sensors as they have a tendency to weld themselves to the exhaust. I am reserving this job for myself as it is not that difficult of a job assuming the part is not welded stuck.

I am not changing the alternator because it was replaced about 3k - 5k miles ago.

The cam seals on 1998-2000 LS400 require the camshafts to come off. This is a big portion of the expensive repair cost.

DIY Notes:
Replacing timing belt

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/850168-cam-seals.html
​​
Part1
/Part2
/
Replacing Power Steering Pump
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ls400-s-5.html

I believe this is a Lexus Service Manual. It also contains manuals on other lexuses.
http://lexus-doc.ru/RepairManual1999.php

Do you guys have any other suggestions to add? I spent quite a bit of time collecting this information.
Old 09-08-18, 10:59 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

depending on where you shop, but it is NOT outrageous, pricewise.. to compare, I had most of that done to mine for a 1000 labor and I furnished parts, NO 02s , PSP, mafs, iac, but included engine mounts..
Old 09-08-18, 11:06 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Not a crazy amount but it is substantial. Mine added radiator, upper lower hoses, engine mounts, tranny selector shaft seal. I did the O2 sensors so saved some there. The ECT sensor too. You are on the way to that goal of a 1 million mile Lexus.
Old 09-08-18, 11:47 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

These are great cars (mine is a '91), but at the price they can be bought for, I'd be thinking less "drive it until I die," and more "drive it until it dies ... and buy another one." If you can do everything yourself, it might be a different story. Paying someone to do PM on these old cars may not be wise.
Old 09-08-18, 01:44 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by billydpowe
depending on where you shop, but it is NOT outrageous, pricewise.. to compare, I had most of that done to mine for a 1000 labor and I furnished parts, NO 02s , PSP, mafs, iac, but included engine mounts..
That sounds like a good deal. I let the shop purchase the parts because of the 2 year warranty that comes with them being in 100% control of the repair process. I’m fairly new to the area, so i also thought that letting them make some money is a good way to establish a relationship. The previous owner replaced the engine mounts, so that can be done at a later time.
Old 09-08-18, 01:46 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RA40
Not a crazy amount but it is substantial. Mine added radiator, upper lower hoses, engine mounts, tranny selector shaft seal. I did the O2 sensors so saved some there. The ECT sensor too. You are on the way to that goal of a 1 million mile Lexus.
i sure hope so. I think I’ll be in a position to do the radiator and hoses job myself when they go bad. When did you change yours?
Old 09-08-18, 01:48 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oldskewel
These are great cars (mine is a '91), but at the price they can be bought for, I'd be thinking less "drive it until I die," and more "drive it until it dies ... and buy another one." If you can do everything yourself, it might be a different story. Paying someone to do PM on these old cars may not be wise.
You make a great point. Eventually, I’ll be able to do all the work on my own, but as it’s my first time owning the car, I’d like to drive it for another 60k before attempting to do the repairs on my own. Haha. Read: I don’t want to **** it up just yet.

Old 09-08-18, 02:27 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

IMO yes,thats what it is going to cost pretty much.Ive read of a lot of 1500 dollar belt and water pump kits,and 1500 dollar starters.I would hope for more than 60K after that. Im also of the drive it until one of us dies,then if its the car Im upgrading to a newer model.As long as it has an L on the front.

Isnt it 2007 they got rid of the belt and put in timing chains?

Last edited by spuds; 09-08-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-08-18, 03:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tappy
i sure hope so. I think I’ll be in a position to do the radiator and hoses job myself when they go bad. When did you change yours?
Same interval, at the 200K service. That was one big wallet hurt and new tires were put on so that added $850.

Old 09-08-18, 04:31 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spuds
IMO yes,thats what it is going to cost pretty much.Ive read of a lot of 1500 dollar belt and water pump kits,and 1500 dollar starters.I would hope for more than 60K after that. Im also of the drive it until one of us dies,then if its the car Im upgrading to a newer model.As long as it has an L on the front.

Isnt it 2007 they got rid of the belt and put in timing chains?

​​​​Yeah, I'm hoping for 90k miles until he next timing belt job. My car was actually 40k overdue when I bought it, but was running fine. It's comforting to know that the car can do that without a hiccup. Not too sure about the timing chain, but I wonder about their maintenance intervals.
Old 09-08-18, 04:35 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RA40
Same interval, at the 200K service. That was one big wallet hurt and new tires were put on so that added $850.
That's interesting. I'm at right around the 190k mileage mark, so I'll keep that repair in mind. I wonder if my radiator can live for another year or two.
Old 09-08-18, 09:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Mine had just began to leak at the upper tank. Asked the shop owner what the lifespan was and he relayed 150-200K miles. If yours is not leaking, you'll likely be good for that time span.
Old 09-10-18, 12:08 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

3k plus price of the car? Don't total it out after all that, insurance won't pay for the work done on it, unless its part of the high blue book cost.
Old 09-10-18, 02:13 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
3k plus price of the car? Don't total it out after all that, insurance won't pay for the work done on it, unless its part of the high blue book cost.
A $50k car plus $3k in preventive maintenance is worth about $50k.

A $3k car plus $3k in preventive maintenance is worth about $3k.

If you can't do it yourself, I understand. But someone else can, and because of that, paying someone else to do PM (not repairs, but just maintenance that really may or may not be needed, like timing belt, pre-emptive repairs, etc.) is usually not a financially wise move on cheap old cars like these, no matter how good they are. Yes, they're great cars, but they're also cheap, and there are plenty more out there.

Skip the TB service and it doesn't break, you saved $2k. Skip the TB service and the TB breaks and destroys the engine (if 1995+) ... well, as long as you invested that $2k you saved in no-load index mutual funds at Vanguard, you can just cash out and buy yourself a new version of the exact same car.

BTW, I met a guy recently who was admiring my '91. His was a 2003 LS430, I think, with about 240k miles. He raved about how he basically just put gas and oil in it and nothing ever broke. And he was still on the original timing belt.
Old 09-10-18, 04:06 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oldskewel
A $50k car plus $3k in preventive maintenance is worth about $50k.

A $3k car plus $3k in preventive maintenance is worth about $3k.

If you can't do it yourself, I understand. But someone else can, and because of that, paying someone else to do PM (not repairs, but just maintenance that really may or may not be needed, like timing belt, pre-emptive repairs, etc.) is usually not a financially wise move on cheap old cars like these, no matter how good they are. Yes, they're great cars, but they're also cheap, and there are plenty more out there.

Skip the TB service and it doesn't break, you saved $2k. Skip the TB service and the TB breaks and destroys the engine (if 1995+) ... well, as long as you invested that $2k you saved in no-load index mutual funds at Vanguard, you can just cash out and buy yourself a new version of the exact same car.

BTW, I met a guy recently who was admiring my '91. His was a 2003 LS430, I think, with about 240k miles. He raved about how he basically just put gas and oil in it and nothing ever broke. And he was still on the original timing belt.

You do make some interesting points. The car is certainly cheap and there will be cheaper ones as time goes by. PM on a cheap car doesn't make that much sense, especially if it's one that is easily replaceable. But, for my part, there are more things to consider when buying a used car.

The first is that of reliability. While there are and will be LS400s for years to come, I do not want to arrive, or rather, I would want to arrive at my destination in peace and make the decision of a replacement there than on the side of the highway.

Second point would about safety. I've never had, and hopefully never will, had a timing belt break on me while driving. But, if it did break, I can imagine an accident being the outcome of it.

Last one would be about cost. This maintenance should be good for about six or seven years. Assuming the prior, $3000/72months is about $42. I can live with that and the peace of mind that the LS400s bring when properly maintained.

Last edited by Tappy; 07-24-21 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 LS400 Repair Estimates for Valve Cover Gaskets and Timing Belt Kit