LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

If my valve cover is leaking, how much do I tighten the bolts to potentially stop it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 10:51 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

If you have a 90-94 LS, I would keep driving it on the T belt, the worst it could do is break and then you'll need to replace it. Its non-interference so no damage would result to the valves if it does break. 95-00 is interference due to higher compression, so I wouldn't go more than 100k if its a Toyota quality belt.
Old 08-16-18, 03:04 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
If you have a 90-94 LS, I would keep driving it on the T belt, the worst it could do is break and then you'll need to replace it. Its non-interference so no damage would result to the valves if it does break. 95-00 is interference due to higher compression, so I wouldn't go more than 100k if its a Toyota quality belt.
Hey buddy I think that's wrong. I heard from multiple reliable sources that only the 98-00 is non interference. I know, it sucks... I thought 95-97 was too.

I found the leak. But guys, who doesn't change an oil filter for literally... Years??? I think that's an old Denso filter...

Old 08-16-18, 01:25 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas
Hey buddy I think that's wrong. I heard from multiple reliable sources that only the 98-00 is non interference. I know, it sucks... I thought 95-97 was too.

I found the leak. But guys, who doesn't change an oil filter for literally... Years??? I think that's an old Denso filter...

Losiracer2 has it right on the years of interference engines.
Old 08-16-18, 04:34 PM
OldLs400
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas

98-00 is interference. I changed a VVTi valve on my 98.
Old 08-18-18, 12:12 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't want valve covers leaking, just tighten them every week or so, they will be loose.
Old 11-20-20, 11:58 PM
Mrsmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Mike, boy do I have a valve cover gasket horror story.

Originally Posted by Michael88
These rubber gaskets shrink! There is no way that I could manage to fit a torque wrench in there to torque to a spec value. I tightened them to 20 pounds by experience and feel of the wrench. In other words, tighten until you get them tight and then not a quarter turn more. DO not overtoghten these bolts you will be sorry when they break off or strip an aluminum head. You will be drilling and tapping. I have done a lot of valve cover gaskets and these are by far the hardest I've ever done. I wish I would have tried tightening them first.
I took my 2002 ls430 to a reputable foreign car repair shop and this is what happened. He snapped off 4 of the valve cover bolt heads off on the passenger side of the engine, lower bolts. He tells me its going to cost me 3000.00 to remove the engine as there is no room to drill and tap. The total job was supposed to cost me 425.00 . Well it took him a week to drill and tap, turns out he did have enough room barely. He finished the passenger side of the engine but refused to do the other side and charged me 625.00 for the extra labor. One side done. I'm thinking about just tightening the other side.Took it to the local Lexus dealer who finished the other side for $270.00. This is where the story takes a weird turn. They call me and tell me " who ever replaced your spark plugs bent the spark plug tubes and its going to cost an additional $350.00. I go onto the my Lexus site which shows any work done at any Lexus dealer and it shows they were the ones who replaced the spark plugs, well, they had to eat the cost themselves, if you don't know about the my Lexus site you should check it out, it saved me $350.00. All you do is put in the vehicle serial number and it shows you all work done at any Lexus dealers.

Last edited by Mrsmart; 12-13-20 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Conclusion to the story
Old 11-21-20, 03:59 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsmart
I took my 2002 ls430 to a reputable foreign car repair shop and this is what happened. He snapped off 4 of the valve cover bolt heads off on the passenger side of the engine, lower bolts. He tells me its going to cost me 3000.00 to remove the engine as there is no room to drill and tap. The total job was supposed to cost me 425.00 . Well it took him a week to drill and tap, turns out he did have enough room barely. He finished the passenger side of the engine but refused to do the other side and charged me 625.00 for the extra labor. One side done. I'm thinking about just tightening the other side.
You didn't work on vehicle?
The bolts were not broken when you brought it to illustrious mechanic?
He broke the bolts? Correct?
After he broke the bolts, he requested you pay $3,000 to extract engine?
If he can't handle torquing valve cover bolts to 5 ft lbs, did it occur that he might damage something else?
Have you conferred with a lawyer?
Old 11-21-20, 09:47 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I took my 2002 ls430 to a reputable foreign car repair shop and this is what happened. He snapped off 4 of the valve cover bolt heads off on the passenger side of the engine, lower bolts. He tells me its going to cost me 3000.00 to remove the engine as there is no room to drill and tap. The total job was supposed to cost me 425.00 . Well it took him a week to drill and tap, turns out he did have enough room barely. He finished the passenger side of the engine but refused to do the other side and charged me 625.00 for the extra labor. One side done. I'm thinking about just tightening the other side.
The passenger side valve cover is way worse then the drivers side. I even couldn't get to one of my bolts to tighten it up just cuz of all the other stuff that needs to come out just to see the bolts. He shouldn't have charged you the extra $625 cuz breaking the 4 bolts was his fault. Any mechanic should know not to tighten valve cover bolts that tight, especially a "certified mechanic." The drivers side is very easy to tighten yourself. I forget the exact amount of "inch" lbs they are supposed to be torqued to.
Old 11-22-20, 04:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,140 Likes on 848 Posts

Why did he charge you for his screw up?
Old 11-22-20, 05:49 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Why did he charge you for his screw up?
When the courts open again take em to small claims court.You arent responsible for his damage to your vehicle,he is.Its a slam dunk.Small Claims Judges really dont like seeing people cheated.

Last edited by spuds; 11-22-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-22-20, 05:51 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Ouch! "Reputable" may be open to interpretation and more so if he's not familiar with Toyota product in general. That error is on him for breaking those bolt covers. This should not have taken any $ from your wallet. I've had a couple screw-up's caused by a mechanic which I can understand in certain instances. For those events it was their out of pocket to fix. For the error they provided a rental car and freebie oil change, etc for the inconvenience. I even received a discount on the initial service because of that error.
Old 11-22-20, 06:20 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Ouch! "Reputable" may be open to interpretation and more so if he's not familiar with Toyota product in general. That error is on him for breaking those bolt covers. This should not have taken any $ from your wallet. I've had a couple screw-up's caused by a mechanic which I can understand in certain instances. For those events it was their out of pocket to fix. For the error they provided a rental car and freebie oil change, etc for the inconvenience. I even received a discount on the initial service because of that error.
Now that's good business there. Make the customer happy for return business. Word of mouth means alot, and it goes farther now then in the old days. (internet)
Glad to hear that someone owns up to their mistakes.
Old 11-22-20, 06:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,140 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Yeah exactly, even if it's not objectively our fault we really do want people to be happy with the work. I have had several cars that were on deaths door that I should have probably just turned away.....
Old 11-22-20, 08:42 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah exactly, even if it's not objectively our fault we really do want people to be happy with the work. I have had several cars that were on deaths door that I should have probably just turned away.....
Yes,hard business.Nephew dumped being an indie mechanic and went employee warehouse mechanic,told me horror stories on working on cars,bad customers not paying....and so on.

I should have warned my local mechanic when he did my motor mounts but figured they are pros with very good reputation and didnt want to be a jerk.They broke the heater valve.They put in a jumper hose,apologized,and ordered part and a week later fixed it on their dime.He also said he wished i had warned them.I'll be back,and if they need to know something that is vehicle specific I wont hesitate to let them know just in case.
Old 12-13-20, 04:28 PM
Mrsmart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I didn't Express myself clearly, the four bolts snapped off during disassembly

Quick Reply: If my valve cover is leaking, how much do I tighten the bolts to potentially stop it?