LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Million Mile Lexus US Roadtrip with Adventureholix

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 10:33 PM
AntonG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Million Mile Lexus US Roadtrip with Adventureholix

Hi Guys and Gals,

We managed to talk Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire to lend us his famous Million Mile Lexus LS400 1996 for a roadtrip around the USA. We intend to drive approximately 15,000 miles in 3 months (June-August 2018). So far we have covered 6000 miles across the Southern Route from LA to Florida. From now to August we intend to drive up the East Coast, back across to the West Coast and finally down to LA. Here is a link to our rough plan
https://trips.furkot.com/ts/v7K7o3

'Hobycat' from this forum dropped us an e-mail and encouraged us to write here so that we can meet up with some of you guys along the way and show off the Million Mile Lexus.

If you are interested you can find the details of our trip (which includes many automotive stops) on Reddit where people have helped us plan. https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/861di0/help_plan_our_roadtrip_in_matt_farahs_million/?utm_source=reddit-android

​​​​​The best way to keep up with the progress of our journey and the LS400 is our Instagram account: ( https://www.instagram.com/adventureholix ), but we are more than happy to share our exleriences here as well and answer any questions you may have.

A few notes on the Lexus:
- overall the LS400 performs extremely well considering it is currently at 978,954 miles
- the engine and the gear box are definitely smoother than other cars with less than 200,000 miles we have driven before. It runs on premium gas and 5W30 Castrol oil.
- the only major issue the car has is that it burns (or rather leaks) 1 quart per 500 miles
- there are a couple of smaller issues too - the windscreen washer jets have been blocked by a shabby paint respray
- the oil level censor seems to have given up the ghost as the yellow light is constantly on but the oil level is fine when checked on the dip stick - we wanted to fix this problem at the last oil change but it seems like the oil pan has to come out for this
- the cruise control works most of the times, but occasionally has a mind of its own
- the check engine light is on due to a faulty O2 sensor according to Matt
- the airbag light is on as well

Issues that we've fixed along the way:
-break light sensor switch needed adjusting as we discovered the break lights were constantly on even when we weren't pressing the pedal. Someone else has tried to fix this issue previously by changing the switch but as this did not resolve the problem we decided to go for a crude and quick solution. We ducktaped a penny to the bracket which pushes in the switch when the pedal is released
- the front cigarette lighter burnt out on us while trying to use a tire inflation pump. We checked the fuses in the foot well but they were all fine. So after fiding a DIY solution on here we took out the center console and resoldered the blown connection with the help of a friend in Huston. Works fine again!

We are looking forward to answering more questions and arranging meetups along our rout.

Cheers guys,
Anton & Ana @Adventureholix
Old 07-08-18, 03:16 AM
99LSprobs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever you go into Houston I’d love to see that beauty!
Old 07-08-18, 05:44 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Darn... missed 'em... looks like they've already been through TX.
Good luck on your travels and have a safe journey..
Old 07-08-18, 01:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Super cool!
If you don't mind posting a few pics along the way so that we can see the progress in the thread of your journey.
Old 07-09-18, 08:21 PM
AntonG
Driver School Candidate

Yeah guys, we already left Texas. At the moment we are in Georgia. Tomorrow we will be driving the Tail of the Dragon and in the coming days Blue Ridge Highway.

Originally Posted by RA40
Super cool!
If you don't mind posting a few pics along the way so that we can see the progress in the thread of your journey.
Will do. Just need to find some time to upload some to a hosting site so we can post them here. Right now most of the pictures are on Instagram and Facebook if you wanted a have a peak before we get to upload them here.
Old 07-09-18, 08:58 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is a one in a lifetime road trip, sounds extremely exciting! safe travels!
Old 07-09-18, 10:23 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm glad to see its still in operation. I drove it back in Oct 15 when it was in phoenix for a week @ ONLY 922k miles lol. You might see my log entry in the book under Kai.
Old 07-10-18, 12:12 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

will you be in the orlando area? id love to see the famous million mile lexus myself!
Old 07-11-18, 03:57 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

I will follow,would like to buy you guys lunch next time in LA.
Old 07-11-18, 11:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

when will you be going through long island? this will probably be my only chance to see the car lol
Old 07-12-18, 07:32 PM
AntonG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I'm glad to see its still in operation. I drove it back in Oct 15 when it was in phoenix for a week @ ONLY 922k miles lol. You might see my log entry in the book under Kai.
That is grear! We'll look up your entry tomorrow on our long drive from Asheville to DC 😊👍
Old 07-12-18, 07:37 PM
AntonG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by monkey92
this is a one in a lifetime road trip, sounds extremely exciting! safe travels!
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Stereorob
will you be in the orlando area? id love to see the famous million mile lexus myself!
Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it down there. We were at Daytona for Nascar a couple of days ago, but that's the closest we got to Orlando

Originally Posted by spuds
I will follow,would like to buy you guys lunch next time in LA.
That would be at the very end of the trip. We should maybe organize a end of the trip meet in LA! Would love to show it off one last time before handing it back to Matt.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
when will you be going through long island? this will probably be my only chance to see the car lol
Probably in 2 days 😁 we will arrive in Greenlawn, NY on Saturday and are staying with friends there. Are you anywhere near there?
Old 07-12-18, 10:26 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AntonG
Probably in 2 days �� we will arrive in Greenlawn, NY on Saturday and are staying with friends there. Are you anywhere near there?
i'm in port washington, but i have no problem driving the 30 min out to greenlawn like NO problem
Old 07-12-18, 10:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AntonG
Probably in 2 days 😁 we will arrive in Greenlawn, NY on Saturday and are staying with friends there. Are you anywhere near there?
around when on saturday? i want to know if i should find someone to cover my work shift that night haha
Old 07-13-18, 11:20 AM
AntonG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stroock639
around when on saturday? i want to know if i should find someone to cover my work shift that night haha
Probably around 5pm. Perhaps 6, depending on traffic. Hit us up on Instagram or send us an email on Adventureholix@gmail.com so we can figure out a time and place.
The following users liked this post:
Stroock639 (07-13-18)

Quick Reply: Million Mile Lexus US Roadtrip with Adventureholix