LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Viscous Fan on '98

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 01:23 AM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Viscous Fan on '98

Hi Folks,

It has been pointed out to me that the viscous coupling has failed on my cooling fan. First symptom was a/c not getting cold enough, and slight noise from the compressor in slow traffic. (Engine temp gauge always on halfway mark.) When the engine's hot you can spin the fan freely.

After a re-gas (which was a little low), the system was becoming over-pressurized due to insufficient cooling at the condenser.

It would seem that UK versions of this vehicle are at a disadvantage, because there is no supplementary electric cooling fan in front of the condenser. My 1990 and 1994 models had just one, but I know that in other markets there are two (I think where there is no viscous fan at all).

What is the situation in the US? Is this a known issue?

I've asked my local shop to order a new fan at over £300 - which seems a lot.

My main concerns are (1) is it easy to fit without putting stress on the water pump bearings, (2) what are the torque settings for the bolts, (3) is there enough slack in the mounting holes for it to be fitted off-balance, and (4) is there thermal paste to put between mounting face of fan and water pump flange - and if so, is it included [with the new fan]?

I can't check the torque specs as the only repair manual I have is for the '91, US market, which has just electric fans.

Right now it's 30c in southern England, which is about as hot as it ever gets here and rarely lasts more than a week. One day I might have a car with air that actually works on the rare occasions I need it!

Thanks all,

Rich

Last edited by VolumeToo; 06-27-18 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-26-18, 01:53 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

hmm I have not heard of a European model lacking an electric cooling fan. I would have thought all models in all markets have one, but obviously you don't.
US models surely have an electric can over the condenser, in addition to the clutch fan attached to the serpentine belt.

why not try a wrecking yard or ebay to find a used replacement clutch fan before spending $300 GBP?
replacement of the fan is fairly simple, 4 10mm nuts if I'm not mistaken. and it is NOT mounted to the water pump directly. it is only mounted to a bracket.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html
Old 06-26-18, 03:51 PM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
hmm I have not heard of a European model lacking an electric cooling fan. I would have thought all models in all markets have one, but obviously you don't.
US models surely have an electric can over the condenser, in addition to the clutch fan attached to the serpentine belt.

why not try a wrecking yard or ebay to find a used replacement clutch fan before spending $300 GBP?
replacement of the fan is fairly simple, 4 10mm nuts if I'm not mistaken. and it is NOT mounted to the water pump directly. it is only mounted to a bracket.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html
Thanks for reply.

Unfortunately I've had more bad experiences than good re. buying used car parts. Most peoples' idea of "good condition" quite often differs from mine. I figured a used fan or clutch would be asking for trouble.

Yes, it does seem odd that there is no electric fan in this vehicle. I guess that by '98 they thought the viscous fan alone was good enough!

So, evidently, it's just the ambient temps in the engine bay that sets the viscosity then....

Rich

Last edited by VolumeToo; 06-27-18 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-26-18, 05:20 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

30C is only 86F which is a mild summer's day here in California. if that is your peak, then perhaps a secondary fan isn't necessary.
we can easily see over 100F which probably necessitates a secondary fan in our part of the world.

and yes there is a fluid in the clutch fan that engages depending on ambient temp.
as you drive the clutch disengages since cool air is pushed through bringing the ambient temp down.
Old 06-26-18, 09:28 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

JDM models don't have an electric fan but have a hydraulic fan to deal with the summer heat and the heavy traffic jams. It also works fine in cold winter reducing the speed a lot.
Old 10-05-18, 02:08 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there's an alternative, i think--take the coupling out and mount the fan directly. might suffer a tiny bit, horsepower-wise, but there are also aftermarket fans made for direct running off the engine that have flexible blades that flatten out at revs for less drag as the air is pushed into the radiator while at speed
Old 10-06-18, 06:44 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

30C is only 86F which is a mild summer's day here in California. if that is your peak, then perhaps a secondary fan isn't necessary.
we can easily see over 100F which probably necessitates a secondary fan in our part of the world.

and yes there is a fluid in the clutch fan that engages depending on ambient temp.
as you drive the clutch disengages since cool air is pushed through bringing the ambient temp down.
uh, 86 is a downright cool day, here in the San Fernando Valley, LOL