LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

have i lost my mind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 05:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default have i lost my mind?

okay, so the 1990 model has always felt different than the later ones, even 91-92s feel different, but both 90s ive had over the years feel faster than the later ones ive had. they feel faster as well as more nimble. why is this? the transmissions seem to be geared longer as well and have a larger power band. i mean both ive had pull crazy hard and absolutley rip through gears. it takes less effort for them to speed up faster then the later ones and they feel smaller then the ucf20s, even though they are not and just laid out different inside. however, something happened last night that really is kind of making me feel crazy. everyone knows Ls400s are open differencial because one wheel wonder burnouts. last night i felt confident enough to put it through some stress tests (only had the car about a week) and holy smokes this thing is something else. did a nice adolescent burnout via power brake and these cars usually take a second, wheels spin slow for a few and then go. this one is just instant smokey tire screaming immediatly with absolutley no wait at all. like all 250 horses were just running the second i hit the gas. its also not doing the one wheel crap. it laid two healthy strips of rubber for almost a block and chirped the tires from 2-3rd. on the highway, its pracicially still asleep. cruising at 80 mph its humming at 1,100 rpm vs all the 20s ive driven that are just around 2,000 at that speed, and it still pulls like a bat out of hell up past 100. i didnt want to push my luck bc the car has an unknown amount of miles (odo stopped at 249k in 2005) and was still driven regularly up till i got it so god only knows how many it really has. prob close to 500k! looking back in old records the odo never budged past 249k. the car is very tired, wore out, play in the wheel and suspension is absolutley shot and i was afraid something was gunna blow since it so old. if the suspension was solid and it didnt need a valve job id do a 160 run but not ready for that by a longshot.

so what is it about the 90 than makes them feel so different and special then the others? is it because its not as refined as the later cars? ive had almost every year as well as duplicates as well. my original 90 felt like this too when i had it ages ago.

am i crazy?
The following users liked this post:
Iconoclast (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18, 08:23 AM
Iconoclast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1990 and have always enjoyed it. It has always felt a bit more rugged than later models but I have never known if that was because of the design or because of the car itself but it is interesting to see others have seen it.
Old 05-23-18, 11:19 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the early UCF10s could be different, but most likely the conditions were right to lock up the diff for a clean burnout.
there were a lot of various changes between each model year, one of them being emissions.

according to this, there is a 0.1mph top speed difference between 90 and 91-93...so you might not be crazy!
http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html