ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/)
-   -   1998 Lexus ls400 brakes kit (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/889228-1998-lexus-ls400-brakes-kit.html)

Iwearshaqs 05-17-18 11:00 PM

1998 Lexus ls400 brakes kit

I have a 98 ls400 that needs new rotors and pads but idk which would be best for this boat.
Drilled and slotted, slotted or just the regular rotors ? Help !!!

DaveGS4 05-18-18 01:26 AM

Regular rotors. Drilled and slotted don’t give you any performance benefit, will be louder and more prone to cracks. They are cooler to look at though

4litre 05-18-18 02:05 AM

Regular rotors will do just fine.

spuds 05-18-18 05:55 AM

I think the OEM are pretty dang good.I think the pads are what matters here.Scotty Kilmer advises Akebono.

Scraape 05-18-18 07:10 AM

make sure you get pads AND shims

YODAONE 05-18-18 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Iwearshaqs (Post 10201974)
I have a 98 ls400 that needs new rotors and pads but idk which would be best for this boat.
Drilled and slotted, slotted or just the regular rotors ? Help !!!

Stay with OEM rotors...high quality steel "made in Japan"

EthanS 05-18-18 11:02 AM

I replaced all 4 rotors and pads two years (10k miles) ago:

Bosch QuietCast front rotors (not slotted or drilled)
Centric Parts Premium with e-coating rear rotors (not slotted or drilled)
Akebono ProACT pads on all the way around

I had no problems with quality out of the box, and continue to have no issues with any of it other than just recently. I'm starting to get a little bit of squeak at low speed braking and only at certain pedal pressures (pulling into my garage, or creeping forward at a red light).
But hey, used brakes squeak... brakes are a wear item... I wouldn't say this noise is an unexpected issue, just something I have noticed lately, and should be easy to fix whenever I feel like getting around to it.

Like YODAONE said, you can't go wrong with oem.
Like Dave said, don't do the slotted and/or drilled. Unless you are taking your car to the track every month trying to set better lap times, drilled and slotted rotors are over-hyped and an unnecessary cost. They do start to crack MUCH sooner than plain rotors.

Sherl 02-23-19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by EthanS (Post 10202278)
I replaced all 4 rotors and pads two years (10k miles) ago:

Bosch QuietCast front rotors (not slotted or drilled)
Centric Parts Premium with e-coating rear rotors (not slotted or drilled)
Akebono ProACT pads on all the way around

I had no problems with quality out of the box, and continue to have no issues with any of it other than just recently. I'm starting to get a little bit of squeak at low speed braking and only at certain pedal pressures (pulling into my garage, or creeping forward at a red light).
But hey, used brakes squeak... brakes are a wear item... I wouldn't say this noise is an unexpected issue, just something I have noticed lately, and should be easy to fix whenever I feel like getting around to it.

Like YODAONE said, you can't go wrong with oem.
Like Dave said, don't do the slotted and/or drilled. Unless you are taking your car to the track every month trying to set better lap times, drilled and slotted rotors are over-hyped and an unnecessary cost. They do start to crack MUCH sooner than plain rotors.

Bosch QuietCast is doing? I am planning for the rears.

Sherl 02-23-19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scraape (Post 10202109)
make sure you get pads AND shims

Do you know the part number for shims? I got a 98 and buying Akebono pads. Dont know they come with shim though

bradland 02-23-19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sherl (Post 10449254)
Do you know the part number for shims? I got a 98 and buying Akebono pads. Dont know they come withshim though

Your existing shims can be re used especially on the rear as they only get approx 30% of total braking power and wear much slower than the fronts do.
Some aftermarket pads come with shims, not sure about Akebono...