LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus LS400 Wont move

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 06:57 PM
AkeemH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP Lexus LS400 Wont move

Hello,

It been a good and bad few weeks for me. If any of you remember I had the thread about the swap from 1993 to 1990 LS400 Engine's and harnesses. I've successfully finished and everything works accordingly. I've never done this work before I reached out for help got a couple responses, and I got it done with the help of some equipment. I did the swap, so now I'm running into a issue with my differential, or around that area( I suspect).

Video:

Thank you, for any help you all can be !

Last edited by AkeemH; 05-13-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-12-18, 09:05 PM
lexsmooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drain the diff oil and see if theres metal particle.
Old 05-13-18, 01:06 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Yikes! Sounds like there's metal contact going on. I would inspect the Differential fluid too, as lexsmooth said.

I can't tell from your video, but is the driveshaft moving from the transmission to the rear differential? If that's moving, but the wheels aren't spinning, then it could be something with the differential or rear axles.

Some important questions to help us understand:

Would the car move and drive before the engine swap?

Did you change the driveshaft, rear differential, or rear axles?

Did you change the transmission or mount the old one to the new engine?

Does the transmission engage when you change gears?
Old 05-13-18, 06:15 AM
AkeemH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Yikes! Sounds like there's metal contact going on. I would inspect the Differential fluid too, as lexsmooth said.

I can't tell from your video, but is the driveshaft moving from the transmission to the rear differential? If that's moving, but the wheels aren't spinning, then it could be something with the differential or rear axles.

Some important questions to help us understand:

Would the car move and drive before the engine swap?

Did you change the driveshaft, rear differential, or rear axles?

Does the transmission engage when you change gears?
is the driveshaft moving from the transmission to the rear differential? It's spinning on the left tire but not the right.
However there is no movement in the tire.

Would the car move and drive before the engine swap? It was a $200 dollar shell but the engine came out of my 93 so yeah it would move perfectly. (125,000)

Did you change the driveshaft, rear differential, or rear axles?I have not, but half of the driveshaft came from my other transmission.

Mounted the old transmission(from this car) to my 1993 engine )

Does the transmission engage when you change gears?yes I can hear the noise louder when I go from Reverse to drive and the axel changes direction.

gonna drain the differentials oil and send you guys a better video

Last edited by AkeemH; 05-13-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-13-18, 10:10 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for the info. As lexsmooth said, look for excessive metal particles when you drain the differential fluid.

To clarify your answer about the car moving and driving, you mean that your 1993 drove, but your 1990 was just a shell, correct?

Since the axle is turning on the left side, but the wheel isn't moving, I suspect there could be a problem with that left rear axle as well. Worst case, you could attempt to swap the rear diff and rear axles from your 1993 to your 1990.
Old 05-13-18, 11:24 AM
AkeemH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Thanks for the info. As lexsmooth said, look for excessive metal particles when you drain the differential fluid.

To clarify your answer about the car moving and driving, you mean that your 1993 drove, but your 1990 was just a shell, correct?

Since the axle is turning on the left side, but the wheel isn't moving, I suspect there could be a problem with that left rear axle as well. Worst case, you could attempt to swap the rear diff and rear axles from your 1993 to your 1990.

Correct, I'm heading home now gonna just go ahead and swap it.
Old 05-14-18, 07:00 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsmooth
drain the diff oil and see if theres metal particle.
Yeah, LOL, look for metal particles or chunks of gear teeth. That's what I found on my first car when I had a differential problem on the freeway driving off to start at a new school. It was pretty funny because I was figuring I'd carefully inspect the drained fluid, use a magnet, filter, or whatever, and then when I removed the drain bolt, gear teeth start pouring out. I actually laughed. Swapped in a whole new one from a junk yard and made it to school on time.

A pretty simple test to do is to jack up both rear wheels, brakes off, engine off, and rotate one of the rear tires. The driveshaft should not move, but the opposite rear wheel should move in the opposite direction of the one you're turning. Anything other than that is a problem. And you may feel weird gear engagement within the differential while doing that test (crunching, binding, etc.) - if you do, that is a problem, of course.

Nice that you can just swap from your parts car. Good luck.