LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front shocks DIY question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 09:57 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Front shocks DIY question

Hey everyone, I am getting ready to replace my front shock and looked over at lexls tutorial:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/suspension/fshock.html
He makes no mention of spring compressor! You can see in pictures that in the beginning spring is there, but later it is not. Is lexls using some magic or is the job really so easy that it does not require use of spring compressor?
I know, stupid question, but I have to ask.
Any pointers appreciated! (and if it can really be done without the spring compressor, even better!)

Last edited by RA40; 10-27-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 02:23 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

Rent a spring compressor and use it with caution.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sa-19.pdf (29.7 KB, 110 views)
sa-21.pdf (13.5 KB, 117 views)
sa-22.pdf (7.1 KB, 87 views)
sa-20.pdf (21.4 KB, 124 views)
sa-24.pdf (26.8 KB, 96 views)
sa-23.pdf (6.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-06-18, 10:34 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Definitely does require a spring compressor once you have the assembly out of the car. As bradland says, easily rented (for free) at your favorite local parts store.

I think there is such a thing as buying a pre-assembled spring + strut assembly, but I have never done that. And I think some do that mainly because they are afraid of the spring compressor. Good to respect it, but it can be done safely and carefully.
Old 05-07-18, 01:51 PM
peterls
Advanced

Thank you bradland and oldskewel. That pdf is great!
Old 05-07-18, 11:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The note at the very top of the tutorial states:
Originally Posted by lexls.com
This tutorial only covers removal & install. It doesn't cover changing springs etc.
Old 05-09-18, 09:52 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

springs compressors can be rented at your local auto parts stores, sometimes for free (with a $ deposit that you get back upon return). autozone is free!

yes please be careful, these springs hold a lot of potential energy!
Old 05-09-18, 02:43 PM
peterls
Advanced

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The note at the very top of the tutorial states:
Originally Posted by lexls.comThis tutorial only covers removal & install. It doesn't cover changing springs etc.
To remove shocks you have to remove springs, so it should include that too (does not matter whether you want to change springs or not, you still have to remove them to get to shocks). I think he just forgot it, but it left me wondering if there was some magic way of removing them without touching the springs.
Old 05-09-18, 03:14 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by peterls
To remove shocks you have to remove springs, so it should include that too (does not matter whether you want to change springs or not, you still have to remove them to get to shocks). I think he just forgot it, but it left me wondering if there was some magic way of removing them without touching the springs.
Maybe it's just the way you worded this(?) but it is not accurate. I say this because doing it wrong can be potentially VERY dangerous.
The springs stay mounted, and compressed, on the strut and they are removed together. The spring is removed from the strut AFTER it is removed from the car.

Dropping the lower control arm will release some tension on the spring, enough to accomplish some front end work, but there is still dangerous amounts of pressure on the spring that must be properly handled to remove the spring itself. Be careful and don't be afraid to ask questions or pay a professional to do the work.
Old 05-09-18, 03:44 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Agree with bradland

And another reason to list instructions to remove the strut/spring assembly separately is that some repairs call for the assembly to be removed and then reinstalled, without diassembling it.

lexls.com does this nicely a few times, where he makes building block instructions and then just refers to them in other tutorials as needed.
Old 05-09-18, 07:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
As mentioned by others, you pretty much ALWAYS remove the shock/spring/Shockmount as one assembly on LS400s. Doing otherwise on a stock suspension car is dangerous. Coilovers are a whole different matter.
Old 05-11-18, 12:49 PM
peterls
Advanced

Hey thank you for all the help guys!
Now, one last stupid question: the lexls tutorial is then correct - to remove the whole strut-shock assembly you don't need to put on the spring compressor while the strut is still mounted on the car? You just use the spring compressor AFTER the whole thing is removed (so shock can be removed)?
Old 05-11-18, 01:22 PM
bradland

Once the car is up on jack stands and the wheel is removed you can carefully drop the lower control arm to the bottom point of it's travel. This SHOULD provide enough slack to remove the lower strut bolt. If it doesn't you may have to slightly compress the spring to allow removal of the bolt. You really wont know until the LCA is dropped.
Old 10-27-18, 10:19 AM
peterls
Advanced

Got busy and never got to changing my front struts. I think I will do this today, and after reading all the replies I finally know what the difference is between having "struts" vs "shocks"... Read and watched videos about using spring compressors, and it's a bit scary - with all that force packed up in there, and having to tighten those nuts carefully, to compress the spring. I am not afraid to do it, but my main concern now is - the compressor itself. I will probably put something around it so it does not slip off the spring.
Last time I rented cooling system pressure tester from my local O'Reily's, it was broken - the pump didnt' work so couldn't take any pressure readings. I also rented once the ball joint puller from the same store and it was a female dog to use, so I finally ordered a good one over the internet and that one made my job a breeze... will their spring compressor be any better? Let's hope so.
I have KYB excells ready, OEM boots and bump stops (or whatever they call them in Lexus world) and Sachs strut mounts, hoping for a good fit there.
If anyone has any additional advice or tips for changing front struts, let me know. I am planning on taking it real easy and slow. I know it is an easy job, but with spring compressors my eyes will be on them like a cat on a chicken liver. If I see even a little slippage, I am running away.
Old 10-27-18, 11:23 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I had one loosen and the difference caused it to get pushed about 4" off. Was scary to see the spring forming into a taco. I thought for sure something was going to break. It held and I was able to open it up and get the other clamp in the right position. Then on I made sure to evenly tighten them down. If I were doing more work like this I'd buy nicer ones. Mine are the common $35 level versions. Have used them enough and each time I curse their use too. There are safer ones out there.
Old 10-27-18, 05:30 PM
peterls
Advanced

Did you have to put the spring compressors on before you even took off the struts, while they were still on the car? Is there even enough space to do that? I can only try to imagine how tricky it must've been to put them on while spring is bent... (shivers)

Quick Reply: Front shocks DIY question