LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 right hand drive in california.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 04:41 PM
LS400alan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls400 right hand drive in california.

LS400. 1995. White (051) with gold badges.
I've immigrated and imported my superb Lexus to California. I can't get a Letter of Conformity to get it plated. Once it's 25 years old it won't need one though.
It has a lot of new parts inc the entire cooling system $2000 + spent on it before we immigrated. Smooth well maintained engine with only 140,000 miles inc. brand new timing belt. No rust anywhere clean underneath too.
Can Anyone help with the letter or want to buythe car for endless spares? These are my only 2 choices left. Love the car but California is being stupid about it.!
Email me to: boomerdavey@aol.co.uk
Old 04-11-18, 05:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

You can try contacting Lexus but this is really something you needed to research before shipping the car. It's not a state issue, Federal customs law requires vehicles <25 years old to have a CoC or be on the approved vehicle list.

Your best bet is to contact a registered importer here in CA for your options. If you were here for a set time and planned on exporting the car after it wouldn't be a problem, but as it is the car is unlikely to be federally released even if you were to get a state plate.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Old-Rule.aspx
The following users liked this post:
LS400alan (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 09:07 AM
LS400alan
Driver School Candidate

Hi, thanx for the info, our shipping container/customs broker assured us they knew what they were doing and that we had all the paperwork etc needed to get the car on the road but seems they knew nothing about importing a car onto the US.
So I think I'll sell the car for parts as it has lots of brand new genuine parts on it. Anyone over here with a LS400 '95' what benefit from having it as their own stores.
Thanx again......
Old 04-12-18, 09:22 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

CA has the strictest laws when it comes to importing vehicles outside of the US, smog compliance being one of the biggest issues.
if you have an Arizona address or perhaps even an Oregon address you may not have such hard of a time getting it plated there, though as PD stated there are federal regulations that need to be adhered to in any state.

plating a car in CA isn't impossible but it will cost you more than the car is worth to get it done. how badly do you want to drive that car on these shores?
Old 04-12-18, 11:30 AM
LS400alan
Driver School Candidate

Cheers TimmyOTool, it's been an ongoing issue for 3-4 weeks so I'm losing hope and haven't the time to peruse it anymore, my work starts seriously next week. I'm happy to either garage it and wait 2 years or sell for parts to a LS400 owner here at this point. Loads of new parts on it, inc the entire cooling system. Moving to the desert I thought it'd need it.!
Do ya have any useful ideas how to plate it here? All I need according to customs is the letter on conformity stating it's never had a recall and it complies with US EPA and DOT stipulations.
Old 04-12-18, 01:49 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Isn't there some legalese in the relevant laws to the effect that cars have to have been imported after they passed 25 years old to comply? As in you wouldn't be able to store it since it's already here. I'm not sure where I read that but I did do a lot of reading on the process and the applicable laws as I was looking for my Celsior.
Old 04-12-18, 09:20 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Good point. I remember with a different car I bought once from out of state ...

I was at the DMV with the PO, going through the transfer, and the DMV lady asked the PO for the date the car was brought into the state (in this case, coming from Oregon). There is some limit, like 10 days or 30 days. If it is beyond that initial window, CA will want to tax you or fine you or something (certainly not deport, we don't do that here).

The PO lied and said it was within whatever limit that was. But they will ask. Perhaps if it comes from overseas they would even ask for import paperwork to support whatever you say, since that paperwork should exist. Vs. in this case, from OR to CA, there is no documentation for driving across a state line, so there was no proof to ask for or to provide.

Also, RHD will probably be undesirable here, unless you deliver mail.
Old 04-13-18, 12:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by creilly
Isn't there some legalese in the relevant laws to the effect that cars have to have been imported after they passed 25 years old to comply? As in you wouldn't be able to store it since it's already here. I'm not sure where I read that but I did do a lot of reading on the process and the applicable laws as I was looking for my Celsior.
If it was brought in legally then yes, it would be fine after 25 years. (Ie- a show and display imported vehicle would become federalized after 25 years hit) but in this case the vehicle wasn't brought in legally, no customs release (aside possibly for a limited time) and therefore would need to be xported or face being crushed if discovered.

Getting a state title on a car doesn't mean anything compared to a federal bond release. The feds can (and will) seize an illegally imported/improperly declared vehicle regardless of it's state title status.
Old 04-14-18, 02:43 PM
LS400alan
Driver School Candidate

The car came in a shipping container with all,our other belongings and was cleared by customs using a customs Brooker so the car is here legally we've lots of paperwork to show that. Looks like I'm storing it for 2 years.!
Unless a LS400 (1995) owner wants to purchase it for parts.! Lots of brand new parts.!
Cheers for all the replies guys it's been helpful
Old 04-15-18, 01:32 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think people are doubting that you brought it here legally and have paperwork to prove it.

(not sure, but ...) I think what they are saying is that there is an important difference between:
1. Importing it after it is 25 years old
vs.
2. Importing it at 23 years old, storing it until it is 25 years old, and then saying you're ready to register your 25-year-old car.

I don't know the relevant laws, other than my anecdote above. As I mentioned there, if the law is as others say, they will almost certainly ask for the paperwork. And that will show it as being imported at 23 years, and that may lead to a problem. The difference in my case was that there were no international borders crossed, so there was no definitive paperwork, and the PO said what he said (in that case, it saved him probably from paying some CA registration fees and fines for having the car in-state while waiting to sell it).
Old 04-15-18, 08:35 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow.... So you can't import personal vehicles that you owned? In Australia if you live in a country for 12 months this you can bring you car back with you.
Old 04-18-18, 12:47 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Unless the importer got an EPA 3570 and an HS-7 for the car, it's not here legally. They probably just declared the contents of the container but not specifically the car.

As the car is <25 years old, isn't on the list of conforming vehicles, have a DOT tag on the doorsill then it needs to go through a RI and have the duty paid on it.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Most likely it wasn't brought in exactly legally, so you need to talk to a RI about redoing the importation paperwork.
Old 04-28-18, 03:38 PM
LS400alan
Driver School Candidate

CA is all too complicated. Customs cleared the container contents and the car was top of the list of items listed. I'm driving it on a 60 day temp operating permit at mo and have a month left. A CHP officer may have a solution for me but i think I'm gonna sell it as there's are right hand drive enthusiasts in the US so it's on eBay now. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link for ya to see it but here it is...... cheers for the feedback

Last edited by PureDrifter; 04-29-18 at 02:10 AM. Reason: ebay link not allowed
Old 04-28-18, 09:43 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LS400alan
CA is all too complicated. Customs cleared the container contents and the car was top of the list of items listed. I'm driving it on a 60 day temp operating permit at mo and have a month left. A CHP officer may have a solution for me but i think I'm gonna sell it as there's are right hand drive enthusiasts in the US so it's on eBay now. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link for ya to see it but here it is...... cheers for the feedback

That link did not work for me, but I think I was able to find it.
Item # 173292786806 (search for that if the link does not work)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Lexus-LS/173292786806

Looks good. Good luck selling it. I think you're making a good move getting out of the CA hassle.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 04-29-18 at 02:10 AM. Reason: OP link removed.
Old 04-29-18, 02:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

LS400alan - we don't allow ebay or auction style links to stuff members are selling. FOr discussion's sake I'll allow oldskewel's link.

Quick Reply: Ls400 right hand drive in california.