LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with clunk click when turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 11:46 PM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with clunk click when turning the wheel

Hello all

I have done so much research. Please see the link at the end.

It is usually clunk or click when I turn the wheel at park or when driving really slowly while turning.

To make it easier for experts, If I turn the wheel to one direction and keep it turned and drive like a circle, it only clunk one time or two, but doesn’t clunk over and over unless I turn the wheel to other direction.

I have visited 4 shops to fix this, but all of them don’t know where is the clunk coming from. My suspension is 100% perfect and all the bolt for suspension is torque good. One shop said it maybe a problem with the front brake or the sub frame / cross member.

I know I have to change the brake pad because some times it squeaks but I don’t think the problem is there. Maybe a caliper.

I’m going to tighten the bolts for sub frame. And report back, but if someone has any information please share.

Thanks

1998 Lexus Ls400

Old 04-05-18, 11:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

tighten the subframe first.

If it's not that, you missed somethinig. Go back over everything with a pry bar and check for play/cracks. Upper and lower ball joints, strut rod bushing, inner and outer tie rod ends, and steering rack bushings. There's a tiny chance the steering column joint is bad, but the play would be evident everywhere, not just occasionally.
Old 04-06-18, 02:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyy
Hello all

I have done so much research. Please see the link at the end.

It is usually clunk or click when I turn the wheel at park or when driving really slowly while turning.

To make it easier for experts, If I turn the wheel to one direction and keep it turned and drive like a circle, it only clunk one time or two, but doesn’t clunk over and over unless I turn the wheel to other direction.

I have visited 4 shops to fix this, but all of them don’t know where is the clunk coming from. My suspension is 100% perfect and all the bolt for suspension is torque good. One shop said it maybe a problem with the front brake or the sub frame / cross member.

I know I have to change the brake pad because some times it squeaks but I don’t think the problem is there. Maybe a caliper.

I’m going to tighten the bolts for sub frame. And report back, but if someone has any information please share.

Thanks

1998 Lexus Ls400

https://youtu.be/ehaZlclfrug

https://youtu.be/VqGc-McqYBI
Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/869822-identifying-steering-column-and-shaft-clunk.html
Old 04-06-18, 10:28 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

I had exactly the same sound problem with you. In my case, it was caused by the front stabilizer bar bushing/part number 48815-50150.
I just have tried to apply some silicon spray in between the stabilizer bar and the bushing. The sound was disappeared for a few weeks then came back. Replacing the bush for the left and the right completely fixed the problem.

Old 04-06-18, 10:59 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10164715

lol here i am with a similar issue
Old 04-07-18, 10:17 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
I had exactly the same sound problem with you. In my case, it was caused by the front stabilizer bar bushing/part number 48815-50150.
I just have tried to apply some silicon spray in between the stabilizer bar and the bushing. The sound was disappeared for a few weeks then came back. Replacing the bush for the left and the right completely fixed the problem.

Hi Yamae
the bushings in my car looks good, sometimes I hear creaking sound , but not this clunk and I think it is from these bushings, I put silicon spray and nothing change, However, I have already ordered them last week for from Amayama,
Old 04-07-18, 10:23 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

If it's not that, you missed somethinig. Go back over everything with a pry bar and check for play/cracks. Upper and lower ball joints, strut rod bushing, inner and outer tie rod ends, and steering rack bushings. There's a tiny chance the steering column joint is bad, but the play would be evident everywhere, not just occasionally.
Hi PureDrifter,

I checked the suspension and no problem.
I’m waiting for some parts coming from Japan and I will tighten the subframe and change the sway bar bushings. I’m also, going to replace the front pads and rotors.
I don’t think the problem from the steering column joint.

I will report back within 2-3 weeks

Thank you
Old 04-07-18, 10:26 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/869822-identifying-steering-column-and-shaft-clunk.html
Thanks YODAONE
I went through that post, I don’t think it is same problem.
Old 04-07-18, 10:27 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scraape
Hi Scraape
I went through your post, I don’t think it is same problem.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-07-18, 06:04 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Thanks YODAONE
I went through that post, I don’t think it is same problem.
When you extract the column, check shaft-bearing clearances.
Some blueprinting should yield improvements over OEM.
Old 04-08-18, 04:13 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I would check the Steering Rack bushings that hold the rack in place. My parents had a similar problem on their 03 Sienna, the entire rack was shifting when cycling the steering left to right. I bought some whiteline poly bushings since Toyota didn't sell the part separately and that solved the problem.
Old 05-15-18, 11:07 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Update,

Sorry not reporting back early, I had to replace the starter which took me 3 days , I couldn’t work on it all the day because it rain and at night I can not work, I don’t have garage.
Back to the clunk
I tighten subframe and suspension parts, I checke the suspension again and found two parts that need replacement, sway bar link & outer tie rod, I don’t know why 4 different shop
didn’t notice that. I also, replaced rotors and brake pads, and sway bar bushings which fixed the creaking sound, but clunk when turning still.

I will check the steering rack bushings and replace the sway bar link & the tie rod then report back
Old 05-15-18, 01:03 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Update,

Sorry not reporting back early, I had to replace the starter which took me 3 days , I couldn’t work on it all the day because it rain and at night I can not work, I don’t have garage.
Back to the clunk
I tighten subframe and suspension parts, I checke the suspension again and found two parts that need replacement, sway bar link & outer tie rod, I don’t know why 4 different shop
didn’t notice that. I also, replaced rotors and brake pads, and sway bar bushings which fixed the creaking sound, but clunk when turning still.

I will check the steering rack bushings and replace the sway bar link & the tie rod then report back
Check front lower control arms....if front tires feel like they are slipping on marbles (shifting sensation) when wheel is turned to far right or far left, especially when backing up, then lower control arms are suspect.. Replaced mine and front end stability remarkably improved.
Old 05-15-18, 02:17 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Steering rack bushings ended up being my issue. Damn polyuetherane.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-20-20)
Old 12-18-19, 10:17 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

Hello All

I’m sorry for not posting back I had a bad situation that I had to leave Canada as there was a political problem between my government and the Canadian government, however, I could’t leave my beautiful LS behind so I got approval to ship it overseas. Took 45 days to go to the middle east. After I got the car I replaced the battery and put it in the shop to change 4 struts, outer and inner tie rods, sway bar links, steering rack bushings, 4 wheel bearings, lower control arms, 4 tires, front struts rods, parking brake shoes and then alignment,and force road wheel balance.

I didn’t need to replace all these parts, but I want it to be in 100% perfect condition. As I have replaced many other things almost everything in this car all suspensions, oils, fluids, sensors, plugs, starter, alternator, breaks.. etc.

I just want to keep it for ever, it will always remind me of Canada.

However, that didn’t solve two things.

1st: the problem with clunk when I turned the wheel and this was from the subframe bolts, I thought I did tighten them enough when I was in Canada and I don’t want to over tighten the bolts, but my uncle did it for me and the clunk gone.

The 2nd, the front driver side wheel , when I kick the tire is not solid and there is little rattle , the other side is really solid, and when I drive in a bad road I hear rattling from the front driver side. My uncle checked it and found out the problem in the steering column , but we didn’t fix it. I had to go to Australia.

I will check around to see what part I need to fix the steering column.

now I have RX in Australia

so, thank you Drifter for your suggestion about the subframe. And I would like to thank everyone for sharing their experience.
​​​​​​​

After I took it from the port

Vehicle Test center for Registration process

The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-20-20)

Quick Reply: Help with clunk click when turning the wheel