LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Does used Cruise Control ECM need to be reprogrammed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 05:15 PM
director
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does used Cruise Control ECM need to be reprogrammed

I am dealing with a jerking transmission on my 95 LS400. Using recommendations from Technical Service Bulletin EG003-96, it calls for replacement of engine ECM, Cruise Control ECM and spark plugs. I have obtained an engine ECM that was reprogrammed by the seller.. Ebay listings for the Cruise Control ECM all say that it needs to be reprogrammed by a certified mechanic but none offer that service. Can any mechanic do this?
Old 02-25-18, 03:27 PM
director
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does used Cruise Control ECU need to be reprogrammed

I am dealing with a jerking transmission on my 95 LS400. Using recommendations from Technical Service Bulletin EG003-96, it calls for replacement of engine ECU, Cruise Control ECU and spark plugs. I have obtained an engine ECU that was reprogrammed by the seller.. Ebay listings for the Cruise Control ECU all say that it needs to be reprogrammed by a certified mechanic but none offer that service. Can any mechanic do this?
I previously posted this question but I mistakenly referred to the ECU as ECM.
Old 03-13-18, 11:33 PM
afanboy
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The direct answer: Make sure cruise control ECU is the same part# as the one originally in your car. Given that, I'd have a 99% personal hunch (with no personal experience with this part on this car, just a hunch) that you will be fine without any programming.

The broader answer: I doubt the cruise control ECU has anything to do with it. I recommend having your main engine ECU repaired. I personally recommend SIA Electronics, which will do it for around $150, but there are other shops too. http://siaelec.com/ These ECUs tend to have a design problem, so buying a used ECU from Ebay might only delay the eventual onset of the problem.