LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400, alternator killed by PS pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 10:21 AM
KC98LS
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry 1998 LS400, alternator killed by PS pump

Hi all.

A few months ago my power steering pump started groaning.. I went ahead and replaced the air control valve (17630-16040) sadly it didn't make a difference.
I figured I could just live with the noise, and the slight leak (still doesn't leak much) but last night on my way home my alternator started acting up, battery light came on, lights dimmed, radio glitched/radio turned off at low speeds, etc. Alternator still seems to output 14.0v at about 1000RPM, but headlights, and other accessories seem to make it angry, and battery became discharged after just 10 miles of highway driving.

I went ahead and ordered a rebuilt alternator, and rebuilt power steering pump from a couple reputable vendors, but I'm worried about the difficulty of the job. Can anybody vouch for how difficult it is? Any good guides? My mechanic wants to charge $770+ with my parts and ATF included, and he claimed it paid 6.5 hours!

Looks like I'm another dummy who let the leak kill my alternator.. oops.

Thanks!

Edit: finished job about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for all of tips! Took me about 12 hours through a few sessions, power steering pump hoses survived. Trick to getting alternator connector unplugged was a small pocket screwdriver! Both reman alternator, and power steering pump work fine (so far)!

Also, it looks like alternator shields exist, to prevent ATF from power steering pump from killing your alternator. Kind of a funny idea, but probably works! https://www.ebay.com/itm/292443551245

Last edited by KC98LS; 03-15-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 10:33 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

no worries, glad you were able to source the problem and were able to pull over safely.

the job is not that labor intensive so I would find another mechanic for a second opinion. it is just tight and a little messy but not overly complicated. once you get to the PS pump, the alternator is right there!

here is how to do it on a 1st gen, your 2nd gen will be slightly different.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mpremoval.html
The following users liked this post:
KC98LS (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 10:39 AM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
no worries, glad you were able to source the problem and were able to pull over safely.

the job is not that labor intensive so I would find another mechanic for a second opinion. it is just tight and a little messy but not overly complicated. once you get to the PS pump, the alternator is right there!

here is how to do it on a 1st gen, your 2nd gen will be slightly different.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mpremoval.html

Thanks, so do you think I would be able to do it in an afternoon with a helper?
Old 02-20-18, 12:20 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by KC98LS
Hi all.

A few months ago my power steering pump started groaning.. I went ahead and replaced the air control valve (17630-16040) sadly it didn't make a difference.
I figured I could just live with the noise, and the slight leak (still doesn't leak much) but last night on my way home my alternator started acting up, battery light came on, lights dimmed, radio glitched/radio turned off at low speeds, etc. Alternator still seems to output 14.0v at about 1000RPM, but headlights, and other accessories seem to make it angry, and battery became discharged after just 10 miles of highway driving.

I went ahead and ordered a rebuilt alternator, and rebuilt power steering pump from a couple reputable vendors, but I'm worried about the difficulty of the job. Can anybody vouch for how difficult it is? Any good guides? My mechanic wants to charge $770+ with my parts and ATF included, and he claimed it paid 6.5 hours!

Looks like I'm another dummy who let the leak kill my alternator.. oops.

Thanks!
Avoid aftermarket rebuilt P.S. pump...

Also, consider upgrading from 100A alternator to 130A from 2001-2003 LS430...plug-and-play. with more power under the curve...several how-to postings in this forum.
spuds (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 12:27 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Avoid aftermarket rebuilt P.S. pump...

Also, consider upgrading from 100A alternator to 130A from 2001-2003 LS430...plug-and-play. with more power under the curve...several how-to postings in this forum.
What other options do I have for PS pump? The only factory one I am seeing is $600+, which isn't an option for me.
Old 02-20-18, 01:09 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

I've battled the infamous leaky PS pump for 18+ years on two different 400's. Both cars eventually got new Lexus pumps installed and the problem was fixed 100% both times. I understand the price struggle but an aftermarket pump will most likely cost more in the long run. You can usually find a new OEM pump for approx $450 if you know where to look. Here's one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-TOYOT...-/261802062733

Another option is rebuilding your existing pump with a o-ring rebuild kit from Lexus. Find a competent mechanic to do this but def steer clear of aftermarket rebuilt pumps as they are notoriously crap.
KC98LS (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 02:57 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Can do it in an afternoon easily... is messy and have to work under the car and a little tricky to get the alternator off from the bottom.
Remember the LS does not use power steering fluid... I'd also rebuild the alternator of get the newer one.
Any rebuilding will take more than afternoon for sure.
Old 02-20-18, 03:41 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I changed alternator on my 99LS years ago with basic tools. It is a tight fit and at some point I was thinking it’s impossible to pull it out, but it does come down, sort of like your car having a baby, like someone here said. Just keep turning/wiggling it
Old 02-20-18, 08:02 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

take off your power steering pulley before you do the alternator , makes it much easier. Or maybe you'll have it off anyways for when you do that PS pump!
Old 02-20-18, 08:45 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

I feel sorry for your trouble.
When my friend I did the replacement job of the alternator, after removing the P/S pump, it took us about 5 hours totally. We started the job right after the lunch and when it was finished, the Sun was already starting to set. We needed some extra time to remove the P/S pump. What I can say is that the job is not very difficult and can be done for a person like me who is only good at electric related jobs.
Old 02-21-18, 11:05 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

It's not that difficult & you can do it in one afternoon providing you have some basic tools & have done some diy jobs before. Start from the top by removing the ps pump's pulley, ps pump's reservoir (there are 3 bolts holding it) then pump & alternator in that order.
Old 02-21-18, 02:52 PM
bradland

The hose between the reservoir and PS pump, approx 6" long, probably won't survive the job. It's brittle and hard at this age. Be prepared and have a new one on hand before you start. I recommend OEM but it is a bit pricey at $40. You can use generic rubber hose specific for ATF from a parts store just be sure to make it long enough to not kink.
Here's what was left of the hose when I did my '99 about a year and a half ago...
Old 02-21-18, 03:48 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
The hose between the reservoir and PS pump, approx 6" long, probably won't survive the job. It's brittle and hard at this age. Be prepared and have a new one on hand before you start. I recommend OEM but it is a bit pricey at $40. You can use generic rubber hose specific for ATF from a parts store just be sure to make it long enough to not kink.
Here's what was left of the hose when I did my '99 about a year and a half ago...
For safety's sake, use the preformed OEM hose to avoid the possibility of kinking..use new OEM tension clamps.

Few if any so-called aftermarket hose suppliers are able to cope with metric hose..

Sumitomo is an excellent OEM supplier to Toyota but has proven incapable of advising if any Stateside supply chain partner.
KC98LS (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 08:49 PM
KC98LS
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
Thanks, what's the part number on that? I'm having a hard time finding it! I may have to just use generic hose.
Old 02-21-18, 08:56 PM
bradland

44348-50010

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...434850010.html

Quick Reply: 1998 LS400, alternator killed by PS pump