Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Xcelplus

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 12:29 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Xcelplus

Does anyone know anything about Xcelplus oil additive ?
Old 02-20-18, 07:22 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Never heard of it... sounds like a Microsoft add on.
Old 02-20-18, 10:27 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
lol!

is this like lucas oil stabilizer? looks like it's sourced from austrailia but I'm sure we can get it here in the US. from the thread below "The Excelplus line is sold in the USA under the name Lubrilon".
never really been a fan of anything to add to the oil. just use the right oil and you'll be golden!

source:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=305275
Old 02-20-18, 10:58 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Oil analysis to determine whether or not there is a quantifiable result.
1. A baseline on the oil.
2. Oil after X -miles/km
3. Oil with additives

There will not likely be a clear result to the additional cost of these additives.
Old 02-20-18, 03:30 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Everything you ever wanted to know about oil.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Im using a synthetic with high shear resistance that also has a high temp performance.I chose #17 on his list as seems a good choice for all 3 of my vehicles...

17. 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved, synthetic (gold bottle)

BTW,the bottle is green now,QS went green so all their products are easily identifiable as QS

Last edited by spuds; 02-20-18 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 02:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Research it on BITOG forums.
Old 02-21-18, 12:08 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by kitabel
You might want to check around. 540rat has said some... interesting things on other BBS that got a lot of attention.
Hint: he's not quite the car expert he thinks (and says) he is.
Lets see...he's an engineer,has patents,tests oils objectively,takes no money, has no agenda.Yup,not a guy to trust.But he DOES tweak noses of those who do have financial interests,agenda's and just plain chest thumpers "who know".Who live to destroy him.Agendas.Ego's.Big time.

His prelude to the testing is an education that you wont find anywhere else.The man is smart,there is no doubt.I learned long ago,when someone knows something you dont,thats when you open your ears,clamp your mouth shut,and say THANK YOU VERY MUCH.Thats my take on him.

Oil either performs on his tests,or doesnt.Anything else is hype and marketing.

Oil,hotter topic than politics.Why I always say take it or leave it and run what you will.

Last edited by spuds; 02-21-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 01:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Lets see...he's an engineer,has patents,tests oils objectively,takes no money, has no agenda.Yup,not a guy to trust.But he DOES tweak noses of those who do have financial interests,agenda's and just plain chest thumpers "who know".Who live to destroy him.Agendas.Ego's.Big time.

His prelude to the testing is an education that you wont find anywhere else.The man is smart,there is no doubt.I learned long ago,when someone knows something you dont,thats when you open your ears,clamp your mouth shut,and say THANK YOU VERY MUCH.Thats my take on him.

Oil either performs on his tests,or doesnt.Anything else is hype and marketing.

Oil,hotter topic than politics.Why I always say take it or leave it and run what you will.
The biggest complaint is that he's a mechanical engineer testing compounds developed by chemical and material science engineers to work in an internal combustion engine, not on his extremely singular test-rig. He states "My test equipment is NOT intended to duplicate an engine’s internal components."

The author also spends a considerable amount of time criticizing the ASTM test protocols (industry-standard in the automotive/petrochemical world) and patting himself on the back for coming up with a "Much more realistic model" that is accepted by literally no-one in his industry and treating his own findings as gospel. Oh, and a 30-second test is NOT long enough to give significant data as oil wears.

I specifically dislike his dismissal of all critics, everywhere, forever, as he states "My advice is, ignore any critics of my Blog, because they have always been wrong, and cannot be trusted." This is not something a scientist should ever be saying. Rather he should be welcoming people to recreate his testing, and sharing his protocol and procedure to do so, if he is so confident in his findings.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub..._Rat_oil_tests
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...ics/4275673/21
etc...

As always, do your own research and decide, in this case a source is only as credible as it's creator. He doesn't have much with me for several reasons. Chief among which are that the actual testing methods aren't well disclosed and exceptionally singular in nature, his general demeanor towards anyone who would question him, and 1 single criteria (loaded oil PSI) does not a good oil make.

Not everything is a conspiracy theory.
Old 02-21-18, 01:54 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

Not everything is a conspiracy theory.
Not saying it is.Would YOU give away your proprietary testing rig.I wouldnt.Sounds to me like throw crap against the wall and look for something,anything to stick.Weve all seen that tactic before.

And I personally think shear testing is a very good indication of wear protection.How can how long an oil clings under pressure to a part not be a good test of how well it protects said part? I especially like how when he measures hot how many oils have shear protection breakdowns. You know,the day the car overheats?

Which do you think is better? An oil with shear resistance of 119,000 psi,or one with 50,000 psi? Im going with the higher resistance any day.

As for sick and tired of critics,good for him.He doesnt suffer fools,why should anyone? Because 'a scientist' would never do that?? Ummm...OK.

Who else is actually testing,with numbers,how an oil holds up? All oils test fine for the additive packages if changed on time,thats no test.How well it clings to said part is in my book.

YMMV,its your car,your paycheck and your choice. Ive gone to many resources,only RAT has any testing I can find that measures against wear based on how well it actually can lubricate the parts with the film of oil.Film break down,part breakdown in my book.

Last edited by spuds; 02-21-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 02:24 PM
spuds
Racer

Or this common test. We tested brand x and its additive package lasted twice as long as brand Y. Its twice as good sign me up.NOT!

Hmmm.....may be a crap oil at protecting parts,but you can buy it and have a crappy oil that only needs to be replaced half as often? That does not a good oil make.

Its pretty much agreed upon that additive packages,if changed on schedule will be just fine on testing.Still measurable and protecting as designed.

If your goal is how much can I save by extending mileage between changes,or how much of the additive package is still in there at changing time....thats not my goal.My goal is,is it coating my parts?

Im not cheaping out on something as critical as oil changes.

Last edited by spuds; 02-21-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 04:18 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

oil is the biggest, and has always been THEE most debated topic on all automotive message boards.
BITOG is a great resource collected from experience from many, and even there I read with skepticism on what people say.
it's all a learning experience and in the end you make your own decisions based on your knowledge gathered.
Old 02-21-18, 04:21 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
oil is the biggest, and has always been THEE most debated topic on all automotive message boards.
BITOG is a great resource collected from experience from many, and even there I read with skepticism on what people say.
it's all a learning experience and in the end you make your own decisions based on your knowledge gathered.
Thats the bottom line.
Old 02-26-18, 04:26 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Originally it was called Slick 50.. but they had a bust up, Slick 50 is still sold but is now a completely different product that has proven to do nothing. The guy who owns & patented the original 'formula' went quiet for a few years but then started up again under the Xcelplus name... Doesn't look like anyone's heard of it so I'll just leave it for now. I use the cheapest SN or SM oil that's on sale at the time.. either mineral or syn doesn't matter to me.... I change it when it gets to a curtain level of discoloration on the dipstick... Right now, I'm getting stuff together to put an oil cooler on............... 73 degree thermostatic sandwich plate, a 650mm x 80mm long Landrover Discovery transmission cooler with AN10 fittings welded onto each end... The only place I can fit any type of oil cooler is behind the lower front grill, right next to the 300mm x 60mm power steering fluid cooler... It really doesn't need an engine oil cooler as the oil temp never exceeds water temp however being the ****** that I am I just want one... I like seeing braided stainless hoses on display...doing something... There is now 5 radiators up front !!!!......
Old 02-27-18, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

car oil and additives must be the most over 'researched' and discussed topic and largely a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, EFFORT, and $MONEY. there's also so much b.s. and 'folk lore' around the 'best' oil or additives, etc.

now if your car happens to be a formula one race car or other car that you drive like a bat out of hell then maybe oil and additive choices matter, but for 99.999999999% of the public, they don't.

change your oil and filter reasonably regularly 3k on old cars, 5-7k maybe on newer ones and you'll be fine!

i put in whatever synthetic is on sale although it's probably a waste of money (over 'regular' oil), simply because i figure it must be more consistent and a better lubricant.
Old 02-27-18, 07:13 AM
spuds
Racer

Wow. Ive never got on an oil debate thread before,and glad of it.Now I cant stay away,its like watching a slow motion train wreck,cant look away.

This rates right up there with religion,how to raise your kids,how to run your marriage,how to live your life,its got all that and more in one topic.

Im thinking it must be because there really are no hard numbers that you can base a choice on.They are different,we know that.

In cooking we have corn oil,canola oil,olive oil,coconut oil,lard,duck fat and a ton more.yet cooks can all be in almost universal agreement on which to use in which food with almost no debate because we have numbers and we can see concrete results in how they perform.

None of that available for motor oils.So we are left with opinions based on whatever we want to base it on.Cant see where thats going to be a problem,LOL!

Amazing! Last oil thread Im ever opening on this topic! I need to go tell my SIL how to run her life.Yeah,that'll work!

Last edited by spuds; 02-27-18 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Xcelplus