LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 for 2,500,what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 01:29 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ipstat
As @JetCat said
@Losiracer2 made some great points.

It would be good to test drive it first but it seems that it is far away.
Which car had 100k miles and is 3500?
Thanks everyone for the sage advice and kind thoughts.Actually I just did a 200 mile trip to buy new seats for jeep,so its not that far in my book to look.Drove a lot more to get the VW and The Jeep and I waited and I searched before I settled and it worked out well.

You know,after mentioning the 3500 dollar car,i realized I shouldnt have gone there,it would just confuse things. My mechanic nephew feels I should be considering that (3500/100k for example) and that its doable,I agree,bearing in mind I can wait year(s) for one to show up (there is no hurry on this) in my neighborhood,just saw one for 4 grand a couple days ago that met the mileage and I always always ask...."I have the cash,what is your best price to get me to buy it right now" that seems to always work for me.

So thats what he was making a point on.BTW he also feels this is a good deal and if its a clean car in smog testing he would have no qualms buying it.

Sooooo.....lets see what happens next couple days,this might be it.Hope so.
Old 02-13-18, 12:47 PM
spuds
Racer

OK,here's the story.He worked at Lexus.
This vehicle was serviced at their dealership.The owner upgraded to a 430 and gave the 400 to his son.Owner then upgraded to a 460,gave 430 to son and 400 needed a home.He told current owner he was just going to give it to charity,our guy was able to buy it instead.

David has now had it 5-6 years.he is not a mechanic but of course all the techs and he are buds.So he would pay techs cash to work on car and they both made out on that deal.The lower control arm is polyurethane but he says does not squeak,all rest in bushings are rubber.Bearings are NSK,the aisin tb kit was used and it DID get cam seals (guy took off the valve covers and did stuff on cams and i paid extra for that) he is pretty sure that was the cam seals.Brakes are great,fluids clean.Front struts/mounts are KYB.Upper control arm is aftermarket he says they are fine.

Alternator died on its own,no power steering leaks.Left front drivers seat shows some age,rest are excellent.carpets very clean,mats are so so.

In his opinion this is a 5-6000 dollar car,but he had to take a reality pill that if it was going to sell with 244k,2500 is what he can get.He is selling because they got a subaru with roof racks and he ski's and its just a more appropriate vehicle for he and wife’s lifestyle.

I will go to bank today,get cash,and go see him tomorrow and deal with wife,he will be out of town on business.So he has a person scheduled friday to see it,and one saturday,i will be the early bird on wednesday.If we take it its drive thru smog,register at AAA,and bring it home.he says it runs thru smog fine,it isnt like its just eeking thru.

We shall see.
Old 02-13-18, 02:19 PM
spuds
Racer

Ok,picked up the money. Crazy that this car has had all its work done by Lexus,that has to be a good thing too. Explains the engine bay with everything there.Besides engine and tranny mounts,and possible ecu fix,what is left?

I dont think there will be any wiggle room on price,I wont be dealing with him,instead his wife.My wife wouldnt change deal terms without running it by hubby first,doubt she would either. So if I like I wont niggle around on price,we are talking peanuts anyway.

Will leave here 8-9 am tomorrow,arrive 10-11am there.

Last edited by spuds; 02-13-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 02:33 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Good luck on the trip. I would say if it meets all your criteria then make it happen. Seems better cared for than most out there...even with the miles. I mean, what can you buy for $2500 these days when you talk about cars? An old Honda with 200+k miles on it that some kid beat up. If this meets your needs then I say go for it. Just have your list to check off before you go and make sure you're not compromising.
As for the $3500, 100k mile car... I think that it's way optimistic to find. Maybe 150k car for close to that.
Spend more time searching for the unicorn, or start enjoying the ride/drive now with a car that's been well taken care of.
At that price, I'm sure it will go fast.

This just posted yesterday...lower miles, but higher price.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ct...494626649.html

Or this 98 in Oklahoma...
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...488474937.html
Old 02-13-18, 02:40 PM
spuds
Racer

Just have your list to check off before you go and make sure you're not compromising...
Spend more time searching for the unicorn, or start enjoying the ride/drive now with a car that's been well taken care of.
At that price, I'm sure it will go fast.
====================================================

Thank you Legender,this link you posted would be what I would be looking for at a later date when finances are improved here,just perfect.However,the 2500 one just happens to be the spare money that was just dropped into my pocket,so hey,why not? Jeep is killing Mrs on twisty's so if I can help that,why not?My niece in law has same complaint as a passenger in their CJ5.

BTW,tint is no great shakes here,its to cops what waving a flag is to a bull.

Lexus LS400 immaculate - $6500 (McKinney)
image 1 of 4

2000 Lexus LS 400condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 67000
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

We are selling our 2000 LS 400 with 67k miles, still going up as it is still used occasional.

Has been garaged all its life with Lexus Service history that can be verified online. Timing belt was replaced at 64,000 miles due to time being passed. Car has been driven an average of 4000 miles annual.

Its in great shape and everything works from AC, heat, electronics. No fluid leaks of any kind.

We are asking 6500 or best offer. Very hard to find in this condition and miles!

Has new tires, XM radio in the glove box and new window tint installed last year.

Text only please at show contact info

Last edited by spuds; 02-13-18 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 08:25 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I did find this low 109k mile 98 for 3500, but the color is brown. But it has some bumper damage and was owned by an old lady...so it could smell like moth ***** haha

Also, the rear end looks like its riding pretty low....could have air suspension equipped, which may be something you'd want to avoid.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...471652029.html

Old 02-13-18, 08:29 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Also, this 2000 model popped up just 8 hrs ago. Similar mileage to the one you posted, 242k, $2200, 2000 model, so newer, but no mention of any maintenance.

Listed as a 2000 Hyundai Azera, so i'm not sure they care what the blue book is on it. They're also taking offers, so they may take under 2000 if they're just looking to get rid of it and move on.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...495436166.html

Old 02-14-18, 06:51 PM
spuds
Racer

OK,bought the 2500 dollar black one,worth every penny.Tell you about it tomorrow,after 6.5 hours on L.A. freeways,including rush hour,in a 50 year old jeep,im thru for today.
Old 02-14-18, 06:53 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to hearing the story and seeing pics of the new ride.
Old 02-14-18, 07:44 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Conrats on the purchase. Have a great rest after the long arduous journey!
Old 02-15-18, 11:18 AM
spuds
Racer

I lost the post...Bought from a Lexus service manager, power steering pump done at 174K,starter done 95K,tranny mount done.this car is insanely well maintained.Tranny/diff fluid every 75K. All work except smog has been done at lexus or offsite by Lexus techs.

After he bought it service records show....inspect vehicle,employee discount charge,customer denies work,that is the work he then had techs do offsite so tech made more,and he paid less than dealer costs.

This car is insanely well maintained.I flew thru the dyno smog test,transferred title and insured it yesterday.

The stars aligned when i bought.get this,my intials are CC....the license plate starts with 4CC. Just a karma monster play plus.I stole this car.

Only downside was the poly strut bar bushings,and he did that because 'they last 3 times longer and I didnt want to replace them again'

Last edited by spuds; 02-15-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-15-18, 03:00 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

with the condition its in and maintance that was done on it, i must say these cars do age well. You my friend have a keeper.
Old 02-15-18, 03:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Did a 30 mile trip.A/c on,down the mtn.80-85 mph on freeway,smooth as can be.Back on freeway and up mtn,Never budged the temp gauge.Everything works but the remote key needs programming.Learned what the power button does,only way to fly up the hill from1500 feet to 5000 feet.17 mpg,not too shabby for what it did.Only difference between the brand new Jetta and this is this is bigger.LOTS of power.

We are bowled over at the deal we walked into.Cant wait to do the carpets and leather.Then clay bar the exterior,paint is nice enough for that.Few little dings but nothing major.Anybody know what the paint on the bumpers color is,the car is black.It was registered in June 1998.
Old 02-16-18, 03:52 AM
afanboy
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check starter function. Around this age is when a lot of starters tend to start dying, and that's a huge job in labor. If the starter hasn't been replaced, it will fail soon. Budget around $1,000 for replacing it.

Edited to add: I see you said the starter was done at 95K. More of a time thing than a mileage thing. 95K could've been 10+ years ago. Check that starter. And yeah, looks like a good deal, if everything the seller is saying is true.
Old 02-16-18, 04:47 AM
spuds
Racer

done 10/05,its spinning NICE!Everything seller said was true,no need to lie,he wasnt making any money on it as it was.Car had to go,that simple.They are moving to snow country.

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 1998 for 2,500,what do you think?