LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Introducing myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 08:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Talking Introducing myself

Hi all. Im a 6 decade guy who just quit his job,we dont use the word retired,those guys die.

I own a 1959 VW transporter and a 1969 Jeepster Commando.Sold my 1997 dodge Cummins 4x4 to nephew,dont need to be anywhere when its snowing any more,have Jeepster if have to go out,but its no Dodge,that thing was/is a monster in snow.

My caps key doesnt always work so forgive non caps,it is what it is.
Hobbies are greenhouse,gardening,dogs,chickens and cooking/homesteading type stuff.Dabble in solar,thats fun and easy.I and Mrs live in a cabin in SoCal forest.Now in Grand parents mode,just had one get married.

Im here to learn about the LS400 and I have already learned a ton.I think this will be a doable vehicle for me.Saw a youtube guy on ten worst cars.Said to myself he knows what he is talking about,looked at his ten best,98-2000 LS400 took the prize.Started researching,i think guy knows of what he speaks.So in a few years,the LS400 may be my vehicle,when pension finally lands and have more income.

I will buy the best car out there,always been my belief start with the best you can get,cheaper in the long run.Both my classics have just over 100,000 miles.

I can turn wrenches,but I cant bend over a hood much any more (like 10 minutes is pushing it at a time) so some things I just have to farm out now.Like the starter replace,thats 1200 bucks,way it is.Timing belt,front end rebuild,sensors,can still do that.

So thats my short story.Nice to meet you and thank you to all the folks that take the time to put this info out,its so very much appreciated.

Spuds.

Last edited by spuds; 02-03-18 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 11:52 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on the open schedule career. Gardening can be a full time endeavor depending on the care needs of those green things. Managing the dandelions is more than enough when the neighbors don't control theirs. The four legged "people" are happy to have you around more and I'm sure the feathery ones are too. Will be anticipating your LS400!
Old 02-04-18, 01:44 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you've got it all pretty well sorted! The collective opinion of this board seems to be that the later cars as you mentioned are the ones to have, but I don't think there's a bad choice among them, especially if you're set on finding a good one.
Old 02-04-18, 02:52 PM
spuds
Racer

My wife is a keeper.She is all on board for the Lexus,as driving up and down a mountain in the jeep isnt her idea of comfortable any more.Or mine truthfully. This is like what I want,Mrs says "CALL THEM.GO SEE IT!! IF IT RUNS GOOD,BUY IT!!!"

And get this,I only drive 2,000 miles or so a year now (is that insane??),math says this outlasts me easily,LOL,will have 155,000 miles on it when Im 98 and have to give up driving.

But I dont want to deplete savings at this point.Also,is there a picture size limit here,these loaded dang big.
--------------------
Lots more pics at link.Asking 8,800.00 dollars.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...484004344.html
Hello everyone
1998 Lexus LS400 in excellent condition for its age. Low mileage for the year: 64,000. The exterior is in great shape. Interior is very clean. Fully loaded for the year including factory GPS navigation.All options!parked in garage. just weekend car.-NEW:starter. spark plug and nozzle. all filter is new. need nothing. all services newport beach lexus.

Attachment 490670

Attachment 490671

Attachment 490672

Attachment 490673

Attachment 490674

Right down to the window sticker...
Attachment 490675

Last edited by spuds; 02-04-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Wow, air suspension! Super rare car. I’d buy it.
Old 02-04-18, 11:42 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Looks like a well kept, low mileage, dealer maintained car; all things that you'd want in a car you'd want to keep for a long time. The only thing that scares me is the Air suspension. Even if it has low miles, there are things that can fail on it due to the age.

My original front shocks were still holding a charge at 275k miles but the Air suspension might have some other issues. The ride might be superior, but I would look for a model with the conventional coil spring suspension.
Old 02-04-18, 11:49 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
but the Air suspension might have some other issues. The ride might be superior, but I would look for a model with the conventional coil spring suspension.
Yeah,i have visions of the Mercedes 300TD wagon back in the day with the air suspension from hell.Im doing my homework on the ls suspension right now.

I would think there must be some wiggle room on that price too when we start digging in,it cant be new throughout,bad rubber bushings,etc.Tires dont look that hot.

Last edited by spuds; 02-05-18 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 12:13 AM
spuds
Racer

Found this option,still looking at things.335 dollarsAir Suspension Air to Coil Spring and Strut Conversion Kit - Lexus LS400

• art #: 65T-30-4 $355.00Description Shipping detailsBrand New Front & Rear Air Ride Suspension Air to Pre-Assembled Coil Springs and Struts Conversion KitOrder Includes: 2 Front Quick Complete Struts, 2 Rear Quick Complete Struts
  • ore designed its 65T-30-4 air suspension conversion kit for the first and second generation Lexus LS400. This kit completely eliminates the need for an air assisted suspension at a much lower price tag than any Lexus dealer would charge to repair your existing suspension components. Four custom manufactured and pre-configured Complete Strut Assemblies replace your air springs and struts, giving you a front and rear solution over the traditional air suspension. Our Complete Struts come already assembled and tuned for your Lexus LS400, making installation a breeze for even the DIY mechanic.

Last edited by spuds; 02-05-18 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 04:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome!

I would avoid those ready to go air to coil conversions, almost all use terrible low quality shocks.

You're better off buying used stock springs from a junkyard/classifieds and new KYB shock mounts/bump stops/isolators/shocks and having them assembled. It'll be more moeny but will be near OEM quality. And it'll last a LOT longer than the conversion crap. Consider that they sell the entire kit (detailed above) as "new" for less than the cost of the KYB shocks and mounts.....

Also, if you can I would avoid a car with the factory GPS. It's terrible, can't be updated, and forces you to use the ancient touchscreen interface for the climate control. It can be converted to the standard radio + climate control, but that's more work and money.
The following users liked this post:
dveneman (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 05:00 AM
spuds
Racer

Thanks for the welcome,But I havent purchased yet,Im doing my homework,deeply,before I do.If Im going back into a computer car,need one a heck of a lot more reliable than my Jetta (The endless constant code queen),this car appears to be the one.

Now studying what options and configurations to embrace or run like crazy from.

What I know now.....
OK,no nav.And find the nakamichi car.

98-00 best cars

ECU,get rebuilt ASAP

Power steering pump and hence alternator failure,keep eyes close on that

Avoid air suspension
Suspension work on non air cars is pretty basic,shop sources for best prices.KYB is your friend.UCA,aftermarket,pretty bad for most part.I think i would overseas order OEM toyota and bite the bullet at 300 each.Lifetime shop alignment deal sounds good.
Almost always OEM toyota is best choice.This is hugely so on Honda Motorcycles of vintage age,can swear to that.

Coolant temp sensor is a needed replacement.I think all sensors i can do and OEM if available for sure.

Starter- going to cost me the 1200 dollars,i cant do that,so its a cost I must account for in purchase price

Belt,timing belt,water pump,tensioners,pulleys,crank seals,..doable,maybe cam seals I can do (back injury so hanging over hood mostly not doable),valve cover gasket I can get done me alone or volunteer nephew for that.

Off hand,thats about where Im at.Im on page 110 of this forum,plan to go thru every ls page here.

Thanks for all the help people,MUCH appreciated!

Last edited by spuds; 02-09-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 08:41 PM
spuds
Racer

Spent the day with all my nephews playing with our Jeeps,and talk went to older cars.Told em lexus ideas and why.Mentioned if i get what I want I wont need my second timing belt until Im 113.One of their buddies said when I need that belt they will come over and install it for me.

I sure had a nice day. Such NICE young men.
Old 02-11-18, 10:45 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Pretty sure you don't need to mess with ECU building on the 99-2000 model years. My 98 has 227k on it and not issues with the ECU. Someone can correct me but pretty sure the ECU issue was only for 90-97 model years.

Good luck in your search and hope you find the car that works for you.

Sounds like you've got great family and friends. Enjoy life!
Old 02-11-18, 11:00 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Legender
Pretty sure you don't need to mess with ECU building on the 99-2000 model years. My 98 has 227k on it and not issues with the ECU. Someone can correct me but pretty sure the ECU issue was only for 90-97 model years.

Good luck in your search and hope you find the car that works for you.

Sounds like you've got great family and friends. Enjoy life!
Thank you for the kind comments Legender.
Old 02-14-18, 09:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

there's a member on here Yamae who is an ecu engineer (or something like that i think) in japan, and he says that by 1999 the old style faulty quaternary ammonium salt type capacitors had been phased out and replaced with a different less problematic type. based on that (and many other reasons i think) go for one of the later models. and like others have said, one without air suspension preferably. the LS 400 is probably the best "old" luxury car to get. mercedes exceeding luxury with essentially camry running costs (usually)! just depends on how mint condition you plan on keeping it.
Old 02-15-18, 07:02 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome Spuds, to my world, I "retired" nearly 22 years ago pushing 84 now. and in those 22 years, have owned 13 LS400's, 2 each of 1994, 5, 6, 7, and 5, 99's.
now I owned a garage, for almost 30 years and made a good living off American and a few foreign makes, but until I set down and drove a LS400, I had never truly been in a Luxury automobile... and when I got to the 99's... I knew I had found it... so to did Cadillac, Lincoln plus all the foreign guys.. Everybody got on the stick and Upgraded theirs, trying to catch up with Lexus, but no go.... 98-2000 are the BEST of the best. follow the above guide lines and you will live to enjoy "your" new life style.... (PS starters are not that hard, just time consuming) you have the rest of your life, live it..
(oh reason for 2 of each, wife wanted hers and I wanted mine, but we are a one car family now). this one: 220k (see cars below)
Attached Thumbnails Introducing myself-001.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 02-15-18 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Introducing myself