LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Incandescent bulb color correcting filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 07:28 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Incandescent bulb color correcting filters

Toyota used white correcting blue silicone color filters in instrument clusters to achieve true white and remove incandescent yellow cast...so improved color rendering.

While this sounds counterintuitive, it works.

A.few images taken of door pocket lamps to show before and after tesults.

Silicone dampens bulbs used in slamming doors and trunk (license plate) to increase life.

Before image depicts yellowness of incandescent bulb.
After image...almost true white....and the filter difuses the light...no hot spots on lense.
White correcting blue Silikromes purchased from Mouser Electronics. ..
Trimming to size so as not to interfere with bulb socket
Used trimmed piece to collar the filter on the bulb.
Bulb with color filter in socket

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-03-18 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 05:48 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice.Looks good.
Old 02-04-18, 07:52 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice! My initial thought would have been LED's. I had a bunch of lower output versions like 10-20 lumens. The one issue was that their color temp varied slightly so if side by side it wasn't uniform. I'm lazy so I haven't been motivated enough to alter the lighting on the car other than using the 921 bulbs in the corner lights and some 5K low output for the license plate.
Old 02-04-18, 09:15 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Instead of using a good old technique to use a filter, I use 3 different LEDs red, blue and green to get brighter light with the color temperature control. I'm quite comfortable to deal with electronic affairs and I prefer it to use a century old method. The power consumption is less than 1/6 compared with the original incandescent bulb. The color variation you can get is the lowest 3000K and the highest 15000K. I use home made ones for my Celsior as below. As you see it closely, you can recognize those 3 different colors but a white paper you see under the light looks just white after adjusting the color temperature. You also can control the whiteness.
Attached Thumbnails Incandescent bulb color correcting  filters-leds-r-g-b.jpg  

Last edited by Yamae; 02-04-18 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 10:23 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
Instead of using a good old technique to use a filter, I use 3 different LEDs red, blue and green to get brighter light with the color temperature control. I'm quite comfortable to deal with electronic affairs and I prefer it to use a century old method. The power consumption is less than 1/6 compared with the original incandescent bulb. The color variation you can get is the lowest 3000K and the highest 15000K. I use home made ones for my Celsior as below. As you see it closely, you can recognize those 3 different colors but a white paper you see under the light looks just white after adjusting the color temperature. You also can control the whiteness.
I agree that LED are the way to go PROVIDED. they are properly diffused..

One of the biggest challenges using LEDs are hotspots...just look at contemporary rear tail lamp lenses using LEDs....hideously poor diffusion... (or someone controls the patent and the auto manufacturers do not want to pay royalties)

I can easily count how many LEDs the fixture has by counting hotspots...

The issue with aftermarket plug and play LED replacements is they do not provide Lumens and often are not as bright as incandescent bulbs they are supposed to replace

Perhaps similar color filter caps could be employed to improve diffusion of non-surface mount LEDs

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-04-18 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 10:39 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The side emitting that are oriented into the reflector area instead of aiming through the lens may be an option.
Old 02-05-18, 12:39 PM
spuds
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RA40
I'm lazy so I haven't been motivated enough to alter the lighting on the car other than using the 921 bulbs in the corner lights and some 5K low output for the license plate.
I put these tail light bulbs in my 1967 Jeepster and went from unseeable(tm Spuds) in sunlight to very bright,very safe lights.They are real bright without burning out your retinas.
They fill the light bucket really well with diffused light.Also great definition between running lights and brake/turn signal lights.At 14.99/pair cant beat that.
Obviously get the correct bulb base for lexus,mine were the 1157 for Jeepster.Get them in red,white bulb=pink light thru a red tail light lens.I DONT know if Lexus has problems with its electronics using LED bulbs though.If nothing else they are great for use in older cars without electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6O3G2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6O3G2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by spuds; 02-05-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 01:52 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Has anyone calculated the increase in HP or MPG I could expect by updating these lights to LED? I have not but I'm pretty sure it will round off to zero point double zero or lower.

Would this register on a butt dyno? If not, I'll keep using my 27-year old original bulbs.
Old 02-05-18, 01:55 PM
spuds
Racer

Might make a difference on a motorcycle,an old one.On the car I cant imagine it makes the slightest difference performance wise with tail and turn signals,they just dont use much.But on my Honda CT-90,huge difference,talk about marginal charging,battery very pleased.Visibility huge improvement.All lights LED.Im hugely sold on LED upgrades.
My CT90....

Brightness/safety wise? Its a toss up.Some folks say on their car much better,some no difference and some are worse even.A lot depends on design of light bucket and lens set up.

Last edited by spuds; 02-05-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 03:23 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spuds
Might make a difference on a motorcycle,an old one.On the car I cant imagine it makes the slightest difference performance wise with tail and turn signals,they just dont use much.But on my Honda CT-90,huge difference,talk about marginal charging,battery very pleased.Visibility huge improvement.All lights LED.Im hugely sold on LED upgrades.
My CT90....
http://www.youtube.com/v/_cWM7vCjM2c...=youtube_gdata

Brightness/safety wise? Its a toss up.Some folks say on their car much better,some no difference and some are worse even.A lot depends on design of light bucket and lens set up.
Light diffusion is often an afterthought...

Would love to use LED in third brake light because LED time on is instantaneous vs incandescent (about) 2/10ths of a second...so the vehicle following has more time to respond when you slam on your brakes...

Anyone with intel on LED substitutes for 921 incandescent bulbs offering excellent diffusion and increased lumens?
Old 02-05-18, 04:13 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

I put LED 921 bulbs on my high mount light and it didn't come close to the brightness of the incandescent so I went back. I'd much rather be seen than have that extra instantaneous on time.
also you'll get a "lamp failure" warning on the dash if you use a lower wattage unit which an LED bulb is, as the car thinks a bulb is out due to a drop in resistance.
Old 02-05-18, 05:06 PM
spuds
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-bulb-fix.html

Looking at this thread not sure you would want a hot running high(er) lumen 921 LED in there burning up my car.Certainly tingling my 'spidey senses'.

As for dash warning light apparently you will need a compliant bulb or a resister bulb Im reading,lots of bulbs listed as compliant with cars with warning lights for burned out bulbs.

IMO this looks like one usage for LED I would want someone else to successfully undertake first.My money is pass on this one for now or find the guy who has done it and it worked.
Old 02-08-18, 12:23 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

actually an LED bulb runs cooler than an incandescent one!

i currently have an all LED interior with no warning lights at all. it's the brake lights that have the system to warn you of a bulb out.
i ran LED tail light bulbs on all my brake lights and simply lived with the warning light being on all the time. on the 97 it's just an amber idiot light, on 98-up it's an actual "lamp failure" text over the status screen!
The following users liked this post:
spuds (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 12:51 PM
spuds
Racer

Im not so sure timmy,Ive run into some hot LED's,hence the need for heatsinks.Not sure we can make that statement across the board,but if Im wrong Im willing to be educated. LED tech changes FAST.

Cool on your updates.LOVE it!Did you do the third light? Brighter/Which bulb brand/model if you remember?

I did front and rear lights on 1967 Jeepster Commando,left the updated halogens as fine update vrs some crappy reviews on most aftermarket LED headlights that arent hundreds of dollars each.Really need to pull dash and get LED's there,that should be a great improvement.

As for my 1959 VW Transporter in 6 volt,no really good 6v LED out there.I got the best I could find and rebuilding the rear buckets and using 6v incandescents were better.You know the 'cone of shame' you put on your dogs head so he cant mess with stitches or lick wounds? Thats what I did on my bulbs with tinfoil.It shines every bit of light straight out,really works well.

Last edited by spuds; 02-08-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 02:11 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds

As for my 1959 VW Transporter You know the 'cone of shame' you put on your dogs head so he cant mess with stitches or lick wounds? Thats what I did on my bulbs with tinfoil.It shines every bit of light straight out,really works well.
It does work well and it is necessary when you have only 67 horsepower (you, what? 36? 25?).
(ignore the battery tray, it has been replaced)

Quick Reply: Incandescent bulb color correcting filters